Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 11:21 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,157,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
ETA: If I did find myself in the OP's situation with a next-door neighbor, I would first try a direct "We see that you cut part of our lawn and while we appreciate the thought, please don't cut it again. We want to take care of our lawn ourselves." If it happened again, I would tell her "I'm sorry if maybe I didn't make myself clear about it, but you really must stop cutting any part of our grass." And after the third instance I'd compare costs for having either a fence or a row of shrubs installed along that shared front property line. And then do it. If she then brought her mower AROUND the fence or shrubs to cut any part of my front lawn, I'd have my lawyer send her a letter.
Exactly this approach -- direct and progressively more serious if/when needed.

A related idea: Some people are "visual learners". Get a can of temporary spray chalk and, while your neighbor lady is with you and you're telling her to stop mowing your lawn, spray a line to show her exactly where she must stop. Seems easier and less permanent than trenching, fencing or planting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 12:51 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,174,098 times
Put a row of concrete block along the border. If you need an excuse, put dirt in the holes and plant some flowers in there. Instant planters...and an effective way to keep her on her own side.

My DH once every year or two grows our grass insanely long to let it go to seed. Our type of grass only lasts 3 years and then it gets very sparse and the weeds take over. He keeps the weeds pulled and grows seed, letting the seed mature a couple weeks, then he cuts it down. Our grass is nice and thick.

One year our neighbor came by and cut it all before the seed matured. He told the neighbor what he was attempting to accomplish, it never happened again.

People should ask before doing stuff. Yes, lawns matter. Ours is the only one in the neighborhood weed-free and thick.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:49 PM

860 posts, read 475,775 times
You don't owe her any excuses or explanations because in doing so you provide her with grist to come to a conclusion that there are circumstances when she can mow your yard. Lots of good suggestions here (KathrynAragon, Rivertowntalk posts come to mind). You're going to have to get tough. There is one thing: if she is as thick-headed as I am you will have to spell it out in a conversation, not just a couple of sentences. Give her a chance to respond so you know she is listening to your words and not just your voice. Sometimes I miss things unless there is some sort of discussion around them and she may be the same way.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:55 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,517,523 times
She may be trying to prove she is old but not senile. But...she may be senile!

“Please stop cutting our lawn. We do not like the grass cut so short.” as another said-is good to start with.

Old 10-08-2019, 02:57 PM

50,432 posts, read 64,212,276 times
People are just funny, sometimes. When we lived in the country, we had our huge front yard mowed by a landscaping company. If they mowed in a visually straight line it mowed a few feet of the neighbors. If it were me, I’d be grateful, but the neighbor would come out and start screaming at the poor guy on the mower.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:34 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,540,302 times
Well, years ago I had a next door neighbor who would not mow his lawn, let weed vines grow up the down spout in the front of his house and this was a townhouse right next door. So after a few hints that were ignored, I started mowing his yard when I did mine and cut down the vine. He accused me of trespassing so I waited until his grass was a foot high, took pics and reported him to the HOA and zoning. He was fined and finally got the message. Not suggesting the poster is not keeping the grass cut but I would not sit back if a neighbor’s property was negatively effecting my property value.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:12 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,718,577 times
This is a funny plot for a future Curb Your Enthusiasm episode.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:50 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,497,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post

So that's what's got me. Why can't she leave my lawn alone? Is it an eyesore? Is it bringing down the property value of her house? Is she bored? Lonely? Needing exercise? And how on earth do we handle this? Whatever her reason, she's polite, doesn't say well it looked horrid or anything like that. When I said I didn't mind, she seemed almost happy, but the husband wasn't having it. If she told me the truth, I'd know how to deal with it but it makes no sense otherwise.
I'm not justifying her mowing your lawn, but OBJECTIVELY, how does your lawn look? Is it shaggy and unkempt? Or do you keep it fairway length while she prefers putting green length?

Old 10-09-2019, 08:13 AM

23,637 posts, read 70,592,836 times
Six pages in two days? Wow!

Knock on the doors of all neighbors with dogs, collect "donations," soak in water overnight, and spread on your lawn. Sit back and watch.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:42 AM

4,912 posts, read 2,708,019 times
put out a couple of claymore mines in the front yard..that'll work..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden