Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 09:20 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,774,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Six pages in two days? Wow!

Knock on the doors of all neighbors with dogs, collect "donations," soak in water overnight, and spread on your lawn. Sit back and watch.
You know, I kinda like that!

But don't barefoot it on your lawn for a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 11:29 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,327,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post

...We spoke to her and she said something noncommittal like we're neighbors, I have your back, blah blah. ....Why can't she leave my lawn alone? ...Is she bored? Lonely? Needing exercise? ...she's polite, doesn't say well it looked horrid or anything like that. When I said I didn't mind, she seemed almost happy, but the husband wasn't having it. If she told me the truth, I'd know how to deal with it but it makes no sense otherwise.
All of the above and more..
It makes her feel good that she is helping you?
Maybe you remind her of her family and she wants to help you? She likes you?
Beginning of senility? They sometimes feel like being young again...- so she is helping an “older couple”- you?

You could be mean and yelled at her?
Being understanding and nice is better! She means well...
I would try to bring her fresh baked cookies or invite her for tea- just the 2 of you- chat, spend a half hour with her, etc
Then thank her for doing such a great job helping you, but
1)
- your husband loves cutting his lawn and has nothing to do if the lawn is cut already, makes him grumpy?

2)
- Your insurance agent drove by, saw her mowing your lawn and now wants to increase your liability limit and charge you more for homeowners insurance as you use someone’s help...
You had to promise the insurance agent that it would not happen again!
It may convince her- some people defer to an “authority” and she may buy that she is costing you more money...( unless she is in the early stages and forgets that you told you to stop mowing?- you out of luck then, have to just cut your lawn before she does it?- or yelled at her- but talk to police first- she may start accusing you of things- that is another stage of dementia)

Last edited by Nik4me; 10-09-2019 at 11:41 AM..

Old 10-09-2019, 11:38 AM

6,157 posts, read 4,536,101 times
Trump says I should dig a moat and get some alligators.

Old 10-09-2019, 02:59 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,682,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Ask her if you could raise the mower. And I would offer to pay for gas.

I wish I had this neighbor.

Jeepers it's just a lawn..
Wow!

I've had a similar situation with four neighbors whose yard borders mine. They are not mowing my entire yard, only part of it on the border. Three of them mow their grass on the lowest setting on the mower. I mow mine on the highest, or next to highest setting. With two of the neighbors, the border is not clear. With the other two there is a stake in the ground where the three yards come together. I think some people actually think they are doing you a favor. I have had to plant grass where they have mowed down to the dirt. With the one neighbor, there is a hillside between our houses. A riding lawn mower will gauge the grass when tyring to mow on an angle on the hillside.

What I have attempted to do is mow the border areas more often to preempt their mowing. Sometimes it works, and other times it doesn't. It is worse when they hire a lawn service because the lawn service will mow to what they think is the border regardless of whether I mowed that area the previous day. A couple neigbors seemed to get the message when I would but down some dirt and grass seed on areas where the grass got destroyed. I found some bright colored mulch to cover it so they would be sure to notice.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:34 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,919,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Wow!

I've had a similar situation with four neighbors whose yard borders mine. They are not mowing my entire yard, only part of it on the border. Three of them mow their grass on the lowest setting on the mower. I mow mine on the highest, or next to highest setting. With two of the neighbors, the border is not clear. With the other two there is a stake in the ground where the three yards come together. I think some people actually think they are doing you a favor. I have had to plant grass where they have mowed down to the dirt. With the one neighbor, there is a hillside between our houses. A riding lawn mower will gauge the grass when tyring to mow on an angle on the hillside.

What I have attempted to do is mow the border areas more often to preempt their mowing. Sometimes it works, and other times it doesn't. It is worse when they hire a lawn service because the lawn service will mow to what they think is the border regardless of whether I mowed that area the previous day. A couple neigbors seemed to get the message when I would but down some dirt and grass seed on areas where the grass got destroyed. I found some bright colored mulch to cover it so they would be sure to notice.
Can you put down a small rock border? Or low stakes, which I think you already have, with a wire run between them. Maybe their machines will get the message if the humans don't.

This can be funny as a few others have said but really after a while it gets to be a violation. Disrupts a peaceful flow. You feel now what. You want to check the various areas that have been uprooted/destroyed/whatever. It eats into a sense of privacy. Hope it works out better for you going forward.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:44 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,682,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Can you put down a small rock border? Or low stakes, which I think you already have, with a wire run between them. Maybe their machines will get the message if the humans don't.

This can be funny as a few others have said but really after a while it gets to be a violation. Disrupts a peaceful flow. You feel now what. You want to check the various areas that have been uprooted/destroyed/whatever. It eats into a sense of privacy. Hope it works out better for you going forward.
Any kind of border would require a survey. A rock border would require additional maintenance to trim around the rocks. A wire between stakes would be a hazard to anyone mowing either side. There is one stake in the front on the one side but I can no longer find it. The other side never had a metal stake as far as I know.

This wouldn't be an issue if they mowed their grass on a higher setting. I seem to have it under control with the things I have done. Neighbors change. The third family has moved in on one side and the second on the other. I went from having the worst looking yard to the best.

In actually have five neighbors who border me. The fifth one mows their yard about twice a year. It doesn't really affect my yard. They border woods.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:16 PM

339 posts, read 148,935 times
I like living on property where my grass ends where their driveway begins! I don't want drama over property line issues! Plus, I am private so I don't want neighbors pruning my rose bushes, mowing my lawn, over-watering my grass etc...

I enjoy fences also!!!

Old 10-09-2019, 06:02 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,775,641 times
"Fences make good neighbors". Sad but true.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:59 PM

6,157 posts, read 4,536,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Wow!

We have some standing water issues in this area. It can rain in winter and spring to a point where there's nothing but mud. I know just where my property line is and if I see any water standing, which I sometimes do on the strip between our houses, I fill in those little depressions with soil and seed like you did. The difference is I think grass is a menace and clover is better. I've been working on mini clover since I got here. So the more grass that ends up being dirt, the more clover (and bees) we're going to have. So if her aim is a better looking lawn, she's in for a big surprise.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:04 PM

23,611 posts, read 70,485,529 times
Clover is wonderful. Slugs love it. Found that out about age six when playing on the lawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden