Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2019, 03:56 AM

1,056 posts, read 724,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I had a surprise last week, saw two large sized Balsam Fir trees growing in zone 6A southern Indiana.
That's really surprising, but I still seriously doubt they'd do well here. The closely related Fraser Fir only grows at the highest elevations even in the rainforest, and places like Nashville, Knoxville, Murfreesboro and Chattanooga have average highs VERY close to 90F in July. Plus we have more prolonged heat here in the southeast, even if you ignore the overall hotter peaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'm on the line between 8a and 8b (hardiness zone) at the tip of the panhandle.
I figured, but what I'm saying is that heat zones usually matter more than hardiness zones in terms of upper limits. The main exception being deciduous trees that'll grow southward to the tropics or hardiness zone 10, which require a cold period to shut them down.

But anyways, I don't think Spruce Pine would do well in any of Tennessee except Memphis. As I said before, I learned only AFTER posting this thread that they're only hardy to USDA Zone 8. Most of TN is 7, and I was surprised and horrified to learn that the Spruce Pine isn't as hardy as the hardiest of palms, evergreen magnolias (both species) and even the hardiest of live oaks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 09:45 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,211,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I had a surprise last week, saw two large sized Balsam Fir trees growing in zone 6A southern Indiana.
And yet your area can also grow southern magnolias and crape myrtles as well as more typical Indiana tree and shrub species..
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden