Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 10:45 AM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times

Advertisements

That's good news! We're back in a 'warm up' but I think the damage was already done by the 3 night cold snap. We'll trim some dead foliage back on the tomatoes but it may be game over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 06:03 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
This is why we have a short growing season here only harvesting Tomatoes, cukes, Peppers for like 3-4 months. Soil temps have been in a down trend since mid August. Warmest was 79.7° August 12th. Nighttime air temps cooling off and so is the soil.

In fact, you can see there is more fluctuation one morning to the next in recent weeks. We're transitioning into the cooler months now. Where as the soil was a steady 70s in summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Enjoy the extended season! Snowbird squirrels moved south?
Waiting for the warming world to extend our growing season even more. Farmers will love it. Its funny, even though we been warming in the summer past 30 yrs it's still not enough to extend our growing season into October or start sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That's good news! We're back in a 'warm up' but I think the damage was already done by the 3 night cold snap. We'll trim some dead foliage back on the tomatoes but it may be game over.
I figured that cold was going to put a halt on things. That was an early one for many.

Old 09-13-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Now the fun part. I didn't want to use my kitchen stove because I had more than 7 jars and electric stove takes forever.. People use a propane tank with a turkey cooking pot.

I used this.... . An antique 60yr old pot and set up a fire pit. I have plenty of wood and I used an old oven grate to hold it up.

Put jars in there, fill it with water to like an inch above the jars. Close lid. Wait until it starts boiling (not a few bubbles, wait until the whole top surface is bubbling) then time it. 50 minutes in boiling water. I don't like it rapid boiling so will try to control a nice rolling boiling if possible.
I have to laugh. Yesterday Fed-X shows up with a delivery. My wife ordered this huge water bath canner, lol. I had no idea she did this. We have a 4 burner propane 'camping stove'- super high BTU output and it folds like a suitcase. She measured the stove, found that this canner would fit perfectly over 2 burners and 'voila', here it is.

She ordered another shelf for it. With an added shelf it will hold 30 quart jars.

Now I'm thinking this would be a handy thing to make 50 qts of chili!!
Actually I will be using this sucker to make panhaus (scrapple) this winter. You need a big pot to boil pork bones and 'stuff' to make the broth. This thing will be perfect.

Old 09-13-2020, 02:02 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
I have to laugh. Yesterday Fed-X shows up with a delivery. My wife ordered this huge water bath canner, lol. I had no idea she did this. We have a 4 burner propane 'camping stove'- super high BTU output and it folds like a suitcase. She measured the stove, found that this canner would fit perfectly over 2 burners and 'voila', here it is.

She ordered another shelf for it. With an added shelf it will hold 30 quart jars.

Now I'm thinking this would be a handy thing to make 50 qts of chili!!
Actually I will be using this sucker to make panhaus (scrapple) this winter. You need a big pot to boil pork bones and 'stuff' to make the broth. This thing will be perfect.

Sounds like your wife knows you very well!

Old 09-14-2020, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Haha. Very cool! Looks like you can fit like 50 jars in there.

Do you put the jars sideways or stack on top of one another. I don't like that idea but my neighbor does it.

Old 09-14-2020, 06:02 AM

So that 1 tomato I picked 4 days ago.. I had cut it the next day and found it was black inside. Had to throw it out.

September 14, 2020:::

This morning I saw a couple on the vine I had to take before any chipmonks did.

The good news is........ I did save my tomatoes from the lunatic squirrel that I have been seeing around here. Finally picking tomatoes again.

And this made my day yesterday.. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. Not a big yield but Mmmmm I love Figs.

Last harvest of String Beans... I'm pulling them out now. I want to start cleaning up

Seperated the dry ones from the others. The color and design of these seeds is kinda cool!

Close up. Camera couldn't capture the true Purple on them. Don't ask what variety they are. My mom doesn't believe in labeling her plants like me. She said they are from "Canada", that's all I know. lol

That time of the year.. Pumpkin Spice and making kindling for the soon to be needed fires inside.

Still green around here but you'll see a few starting to turn. This weekend should drop into the 40s so when we wake up we'll feel the season changing for sure.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:46 AM

The colorful beans look like the bingo variety my wife grows.

https://territorialseed.com/products...12786018254947

They'll dry to a brown speckle.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Haha. Very cool! Looks like you can fit like 50 jars in there.

Do you put the jars sideways or stack on top of one another. I don't like that idea but my neighbor does it.
You stack them on top. You do your first 15, place the shelf on top, then next 15. All vertical.

Old 09-14-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
The colorful beans look like the bingo variety my wife grows.

https://territorialseed.com/products...12786018254947

They'll dry to a brown speckle.

Whoa, that looks like it! THANKS! I know that dish they mention too. Pasta e Fagioli.

Quote:
You stack them on top. You do your first 15, place the shelf on top, then next 15. All vertical.

Ohh! Interesting! Thanks

========================

More harvest from today.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:23 AM

Quote:
This is why we have a short growing season here only harvesting Tomatoes, cukes, Peppers for like 3-4 months. Soil temps have been in a down trend since mid August. Warmest was 79.7° August 12th. Nighttime air temps cooling off and so is the soil.

In fact, you can see there is more fluctuation one morning to the next in recent weeks. We're transitioning into the cooler months now. Where as the soil was a steady 70s in summer.

Waiting for the warming world to extend our growing season even more. Farmers will love it. Its funny, even though we been warming in the summer past 30 yrs it's still not enough to extend our growing season into October or start sooner.
And............. An 8 degree drop in soil temp this morning vs yesterday morning. 62.2°.

10 degree drop for the potting soil.

Air temp in the 40s this morning. #NotPepperWeather

It's time to start thinking about cleaning up. No big warmup coming so I'll pick what's left of the tomatoes soon and peppers. Frost is around the corner

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden