Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2020, 09:13 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

I love that canner pot! We have two of the standard black water bath canners and when we have a full load we've got one going on the stove inside, and I have a portable four burner that sits outside on the patio table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 09:56 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Yum, homemade gravey I do this as well, I only have done one batch so far though (about 6 jars).

Can't wait for those cozy winter days now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I love that canner pot! We have two of the standard black water bath canners and when we have a full load we've got one going on the stove inside, and I have a portable four burner that sits outside on the patio table.
Isnt it awesome? My old Italian neighbor let me borrow it. 60 yrs old. They don't make them like that anymore. No rust, no warping and just cool looking. Looks like a mini home oil tank. lol

Old 08-29-2020, 09:59 AM

August 29, 2020 Harvest.
Some more peppers and 2 Pumpkins.

Cucumbers are done for the season. Typically are by early September. I think I picked the last ones the other day. I'll leave them up for another week. Bees are still going to the flowers.

Tomato "cage" update. BOY AM I GLAD I spent the time and $30 on this. No squirrel has gotten in. They tried. Chipmonks once in a while grab a cherry tomato. That's ok!

Exciting to see!

Still healthy. Probably will get another month out of them. I just want the current fruit to grow and ripen. No time left for new blooms and growth from it

1st time since July I actually have a ripening tomato. I haven't picked one in a long time. lol. I think its splitting though.

1st time growing watermelons. How cute. lol

Can you see the canopy on this pepper plant? AJI Rainforest. Incredible plant and truly looks like a rain forest with dense canopy of trees and rain drops hanging off it.

How's this for a shot??? #BottomsUp

Old 08-29-2020, 03:00 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Those peppers look awesome!

Old 08-29-2020, 08:33 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
What sort of melon is that? It looks like a giant Concord grape.

ETA Which named variety?

Old 08-30-2020, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Those peppers look awesome!

They are called AJI Rainforest. perfect name for it with that canopy and rain drop looking peppers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
What sort of melon is that? It looks like a giant Concord grape.

ETA Which named variety?
lol! It's Sugar Baby. We don't have long enough or hot enough growing season here to grow bigger watermelons.

FYI... Soil temp now at 71F and the trend has been down. This is why cucumbers are done this time of year and everything starts to slow down. They sense the cooler mornings like in May.

I just hope I can pick a regular ripe tomato 1 more time. Last time I picked a ripe one was July 27th while squirrels were having a feast.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:27 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Fort Cambium under attack of the Fluffy Tailed Squirrel Tribe!!!!

SO is already in plan mode. This year's last minute of sticking all left over Thai pepper plants between day lilies and star gazers has been a full success. Lush green and fruit growing upwards like little bright colored bouquets. There is no more way of stopping him now.

Old 08-30-2020, 01:03 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
Cambium, are you planting any fall/cool weather veggies?

Old 08-30-2020, 01:55 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Plastic netting: we were forced to put it up because rabbits kept killing the pole bean vines. I don't mind them eating a bean or 3 but killing the vines was not acceptable. We spent a lot of work surrounding the small in-ground area with plastic fence and it worked...for a couple weeks but I noticed here and there withering of the vines. Yes, the rabbits had stealthily chewed open small undetectable holes. Not until I saw a rabbit disappear in front of my eyes did I find their holes.

Next year beans, pole and bush will be grown in raised planters above rabbit level. Rabbits didn't eat anything else except kale and my husband says "they can have my kale" haha. We had no squirrels until last week when one arrived looked around and left. Uh oh.

I grew about 20 tomato plants, no disease, no predators until the very end when leaf-footed bugs showed up. Gave probably 25 lbs of tomatoes to local food bank over the summer along with banana peppers which I discovered my stomach did not like at all.

This is my first year growing in this NC location and first time in 35 years gardening grew winter squash and pumpkins. Grew about 14 different Moschata types to see what would do OK and every plant gave me at least one fruit. (will try and post photo). What a lot of work squash are, they attract several different squash bugs who (like the rabbits) are determined to kill the plant. What a dumb plan they have.

I will grow winter squash and pumpkins again next year, knowing how hard it will be but liking results, probably where the beans grew this years since rabbits do not bother pumpkins.

Last edited by twinkletwinkle22; 08-30-2020 at 02:06 PM..

Old 08-31-2020, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Plastic netting: we were forced to put it up because rabbits kept killing the pole bean vines.

This is my first year growing in this NC location and first time in 35 years gardening grew winter squash and pumpkins. Grew about 14 different Moschata types to see what would do OK and every plant gave me at least one fruit. (will try and post photo). What a lot of work squash are, they attract several different squash bugs who (like the rabbits) are determined to kill the plant. What a dumb plan they have.

I will grow winter squash and pumpkins again next year, knowing how hard it will be but liking results, probably where the beans grew this years since rabbits do not bother pumpkins.

Nice Squash and Pumpkins! Nice job. Rabbits eat lettuce, beats, and clover in the lawns around here. They really don't touch the rest of garden. Chipmonks and Squirrels are the nusciance. We have skunks, raccoons, and Possums but not a problem. No Mice or rates thankfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Cambium, are you planting any fall/cool weather veggies?
You just reminded me to plant the lettuce/Kale seeds! I might be too late now. Not sure I will.

I don't do fall gardening. I'll give 6 quick reasons.

1. I like to clean the beds and give the soil a rest and have it ready for tilling come spring. I do add fresh compost in September/October and let it sit there..

2. I don't eat or use a lot of what we're able to plant in the fall like Turnips, Collards, Green Onions, Kohlrabi, Parsnips, ect. Cauliflower, Broccoli & Brussels Sprouts never do well here.

3. I don't do well in summer so the motivation to starting a new garden for fall is never there. (Yes, I'm young, active, and in shape but the heat/humidity drain me out mentally and physically)

4. Sun sets at 6pm by October 25th so when I get back from work the sun isn't out for long.

5. I like putting my time into getting ready for winter

6. This....

Spoiler

It typically snows in November and we get into winter fast. We don't have long Fall season lately especially. We typically drop into the 20s in November which kills everything.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden