Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:40 AM

355 posts, read 1,503,029 times

Advertisements

I planted a few petunias and geraniums in containers. The squirrels are digging up the soil and my petunias and geraniums are losing leaves and buds. Is there a way to keep squirrels off my plants? Is there some nutrient in the potting soil that they are after? I'm wondering if a decoy pot will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 07:01 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
Default Feed them?

What if you install a Squirrel feeder a distance away from your potted plants, and keep the feeder filled with corn, nuts, and seeds? You can enjoy watching their antics without them digging in your plants.

Just an idea.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
a outdoor dog would help, mine would love to come over and play.

spray Tobasco sauce at 1 oz per gallon of water repels most rodents including mice, rats, rabbits and squirrels. Good repelling also results from putting peppermint oil on cotton balls around the plants.

Im not sure planting the peppermint plant around them will work or not.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:08 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Default How to keep squirrels away?

Borrow my poor, slightly neurotic Weimaraner. Bless his little heart, but he will sit at the foot of the sycamore tree in our backyard for hours, anticipating the one little guy we had take-up with us, having to come down out of the tree at some point.

It may not run the squirrel completely out of your yard, forever, but it will buy you a good several hours.

In all seriousness, there must be something in the potting mix. Both of our dogs will do exactly what you describe the squirrel(s) doing. When I was at the nursery yesterday, the owner said they may be after the bone meal (or blood meal?).

Someone on the Pet Forum here suggested I put some of the dogs' poop in the planter(s), and it has worked like a charm. I have no idea if it would deter a squirrel, but it might be worth a try.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:39 AM

413 posts, read 1,255,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
a outdoor dog would help, mine would love to come over and play.

spray Tobasco sauce at 1 oz per gallon of water repels most rodents including mice, rats, rabbits and squirrels. Good repelling also results from putting peppermint oil on cotton balls around the plants.

Im not sure planting the peppermint plant around them will work or not.
Good point about the tobasco sauce. I heard this works for deer as well. I have a peppermint bush and the squirrels leave it (and my herbs) alone. That said--always plant peppermint (or spearmint) in a potted container, otherwise it will spread and get out of control quickly.
As for putting out squirrel food in hopes that they will leave the other stuff alone...they won't. Did that for years and it didn't work.
The dog poop idea is interesting...but nasty. :0 I wouldn't want to have mess with that when changing annuals.

My elderly mother wanted to sit outside with a high powered water gun....she had fun but was too bad an aim.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:56 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausmerika View Post
The dog poop idea is interesting...but nasty. :0 I wouldn't want to have mess with that when changing annuals.
Actually, it takes just the tiniest bit to deter the dogs. The looks on their faces the first time I tried it was priceless. It's the smell that must deter them, and we don't smell it. It works because it dries-out, too, and I just use my little spade and remove it, when I want to work in the container. That, and I always wear gardening gloves.

It's the only luck I had keeping them out of the planters.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:00 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
You can also use metal hardware cloth just under the surface of the soil. It lets water and air in, but the squirrels can't dig through it. Just use tin snips to cut it to the size of the container, cut a hole for your plants, cut a straight line from that hole to the edge so that you can slip it around the existing plants, and cover it with a little soil or mulch. You can also try moth balls in the soil, but the smell is very strong to me.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:53 PM

355 posts, read 1,503,029 times
Thank you for all your suggestions folks. Let me try the tobasco sauce and moth balls first.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:22 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
I haven't used it, but my neighbor swears by Hot Pepper Wax (http://www2.yardiac.com/long.asp?tgs=14662684:19135102&item_id=995 - broken link) to keep squirrels away. Apparently that's why they are all in my yard.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:50 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkal View Post
I planted a few petunias and geraniums in containers. The squirrels are digging up the soil and my petunias and geraniums are losing leaves and buds. Is there a way to keep squirrels off my plants? Is there some nutrient in the potting soil that they are after? I'm wondering if a decoy pot will help.
What about a bb gun? Just kiddin'....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden