Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2020, 07:41 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,302,471 times

Advertisements

Can you help identify if this is the "Cow parsnip"?

Looks suspicious to me but I am not sure. The shape also looks like hogweed but this plant is much shorter, only about 1 meter tall.

Mainly I want to know if this plant is dangerous to touch. Thanks.

Plant ID please - suspected to be "Cow parsnip"-dsc02348.jpg

Plant ID please - suspected to be "Cow parsnip"-dsc05817-large-.jpg
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 11:28 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Yes, it certainly looks like wild parsnip. Those brownish-purplish freckles on the stems of the leaves are one more identifier besides the leaves and umbels. And yes, it can be dangerous, in some cases for some people the reaction is as bad as the reaction to giant hog weed. Horrible.

Don't touch it without protective covering and eyewear. Also be careful when removing protective gloves, eyewear and clothing later on so your skin won't come in contact with droplets of the oils/juices that may be on the protective gear. Get rid of all of the plant/plants right now, ASAP, before those flower umbels get a chance to seed out or you'll have it popping up all over the place next year. Try to dig down and get as much as possible of the root out of the ground too if you can.

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-05-2020 at 11:36 AM..

Old 04-05-2020, 11:57 AM

The other thing I forgot to mention - your tools that you use to cut and dig it out with should also be thoroughly rinsed and disinfected afterwards too, shovel blade, cutting blades and their handles, so there's no risk of transference of droplets to other things.

Old 04-05-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The other thing I forgot to mention - your tools that you use to cut and dig it out with should also be thoroughly rinsed and disinfected afterwards too, shovel blade, cutting blades and their handles, so there's no risk of transference of droplets to other things.

*sigh*
I was afraid this would be the case. It's too much to weed.... There is 1 acre+ of this and other weed, with poison oak in between.

I might have to rent a flock of sheep some day to eat if down, then put slabs over it to choke it to death?

Old 04-05-2020, 06:21 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Were it me, I'd start with the sheep. Goats will work too.

I'd let them have at it for a complete summer.

In the fall, I'd seed with some kind of pasture mix suitable for your area. The person you rent the animals from might be able to advise you.

Another option, if it's allowed, is a controlled burn.

Or contact your county extension agent and find out whether they will offer any help. In some places, they will. You've got a pasture full of noxious weeds, and it's in everyone's best interest that it get cleaned up. And then make sure you learn how to not let it get that bad again.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:08 PM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Terrible skin reaction from contact with the oil, particularly in bright sunlight; can be like 2nd deg burn; some people have worse reaction than others. Oils can persist on clothes or tools as noted above.

Repeated mowing of weeds before they go to seed does a good job of eliminating it over the course of a year or three. Re-infestation can occur when seeds from neighboring properties make their way again onto yours.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:25 PM

I think the very first thing you should do is call your local county extension office and ask if they can send an agent to come and identify suspected noxious plants on your property and to give you advice on how to get rid of it.

Do NOT tell them you suspect that it's cow parsnip, tell them instead that you think it might be giant hogweed starting to grow and you are very worried about it and need their help. It's the law that hogweed MUST be reported to correct authorities in all jurisdictions in North America and the threat of possible hogweed growing in their county will spur them on to send an agent to investigate and ID your problem more quickly.

When they come they will give you a 100% ID on whatever you have on the property, and if they deem it a serious enough threat to other possible commercial agriculture in your vicinity or to the public they may even destroy it for you or help with the expenses of having it destroyed by professionals. It's worth a try to bring it to their attention and get whatever help you can from them before you start dipping into your own wallet to cover expenses of eradication.

If they can't help you get rid of it then make enquiries about getting permission for doing a controlled burn. I wouldn't trust it to sheep or goats to get rid of all of it entirely, I'd use animals like that as a very last resort to clean up any leftovers/escapees remaining or coming back the next year after a burn or whatever else is done first.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:45 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
It's a pity it's so problematic. Such an attractive bloom. Reminds me of Queen Anne's lace.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:05 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
"Were it me, I'd start with the sheep. Goats will work too." Sheep are grazers, goats are browsers...goats are your best bet to remove/control vegetation.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-06-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Were it me, I'd start with the sheep. Goats will work too." Sheep are grazers, goats are browsers...goats are your best bet to remove/control vegetation.

Regards
Gemstone1
Sorry what's the difference between grazer and browser? On the surface it would seem to me browse = look at something but does not take...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden