Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2020, 09:11 AM

124 posts, read 113,695 times

Advertisements

Yes, we really need to rethink this! Dandelions are not 'weeds.' Visit Europe and look at their yards and parks. They embrace dandelions and all 'weedy' plants. That being said, it's our culture in US to have perfect lawns so if it really bugs you, take a long handle screwdriver, chisel or some similar implement, and dig down to cut the roots and pull by hand. We do this and it really keeps them at bay...and it's cheap! Using toxic weedkiller is overkill and is the "hammer to a thumbtack" approach.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 09:20 AM

19,023 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Depends what you mean by "easy"

If you want to pull them, it's relatively easy to pull them, unless you have thousands.

If you have thousands, a broad-leaf weed killer is a lot easier. They make both liquid spray and crystal/powdered weed killers, both are pretty easy to apply by hand with gloves or with a spreader/sprayer.

They do send out thousands of seeds, so they will always be an ongoing challenge. New ones will grow.

We go the natural approach at our place... Our pig loves them!

And, if you have 6 acre, it will cost you small fortune to buy enough for that and spread it several times a year, while inhaling all the toxic fumes from them until rains wash them off.

Now, on a serious note. As I don't mind a pig at all - will it really weed out large area? As I am not dumping hundreds into weed killer plus, we don't want to sniff it.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:31 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Please - those who love dandelions - please post pics of your yard to help out the OP!

Old 05-01-2020, 01:17 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,690 times
Years ago, I went to lunch at my boss's home. They had a backyard that was entirely surrounded by high hedges, and the yard was wall-to-wall dandelion blooms. It was so pretty, and I remarked on how cheerful it looked. My boss sighed heavily and said, "I know. I love them. They're my favorite color. It's too bad they're broad-leaf weeds."

Me: "What?"
Boss: "They're broad-leaf weeds."
Me: "So?"
Boss: "We have to get rid of them."
Me: "But you like them!"
Boss: "Yep."
Me: "So why not keep them?"
Boss: "Because they're broad-leaf weeds."
Me: "But they make you happy!"
Boss: "Yep."

This went on for a few minutes. I still don't understand. There was no pressure from neighbors, she liked them, and she had a dog that wouldn't be able to go outside in the yard for a time after the weed-killer was applied. The ONLY reason she was getting rid of them was because "they are broad-leaf weeds."

I didn't want to tell her about the peril of the purple knapweed in her front yard. Those, she said, were flowers.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Please - those who love dandelions - please post pics of your yard to help out the OP!
Sorry....trying to post some pics...

Last edited by reneeh63; 05-02-2020 at 11:39 AM..

Old 05-02-2020, 11:29 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,577,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
A lot of the comments here are answering the wrong question. The OP didn't ask if dandelions are useful plants, or if they're good for bees, or if s/he should keep a lawn. The question is very simple: whether a yard full of dandelions looks unkempt.

The answer is yes.

Whether the OP should care about that, or whether there are other reasons to keep the dandelions is another matter.
The question was answered, no, it doesn't look unkempt or untidy.

Now in a cookie cutter development or HOA where each house has to look like everyone else's and no individuality or personality allowed.
Be a stepford wife and conform or you will be punished, OK, be a Borg if you wish. YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED.

For folks like that, astroturf is definitely your best option.

For those that can think for themselves, it's your property, you pay for it, do whatever pleases you and tell those anal retentive busybodies to mind their own business.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Sorry....trying to post some pics...

I was sure I'd have a bunch of compliments or reps on these by now!

Old 05-03-2020, 09:46 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,031,411 times
Quote:
That yard would look fine if the stalks were mowed down.
I once had a yard that was 50% native weeds/50 % bahai grass and it looked fine with no mowing if tall bloom stalks were cut. Front yard was small so little effort required, only needed mowing once a month in fall and no mowing in winter months at all. But during rainy season (this was south Florida) needed mowing every 2 weeks to look "nice".

Part of lawn problems are that lawn maintenance companies want 12 months work so you have to DIY unless you can find an independent mower who will cut as needed, not every week or 2 weeks.

Most modern grasses are designed for irrigation and regular cutting schedule.
Mother Nature's native weeds take a winter rest.
Our yard in North Carolina didn't need mowing all winter with bermuda grass. We have no irrigation like 99% of neighbors who also have bermuda.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:52 AM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Lol, point taken. That lawn would benefit from a mowing.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:22 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
My wife prefers a green lawn filled with beautiful yellow flowers instead of boring uniform green. Our state has stopped spraying some of the road medians and she thinks they are beautiful vast fields of green and yellow. I know some people agree with her. Others dont. it is just a matter of opinion. I am not sure which I prefer. One day I like a lush emerald green lawn, other days I like the color and variety. Lucky for me, some of our neighbors have one, and some have the other. Our front yard is mostly green (I put down weed n feed early this year). The back yard is more dandelions than greases. We get the best of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden