Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 06:39 AM

10,715 posts, read 5,655,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Honda HRX 217. Self-propelled, ALWAYS fills the bag, and the bag is super easy to remove, dump into paper bags, and reinstall. Like seconds. It has 2 sets of blades, so it chops extra fine. It is also an excellent vacuum for leaves, as long as they are not super accumulated and high. I never rake my leaves, just a regular mowing schedule sucks them all up. It also has an electric battery start. It’s a beast!
This^^^

OP, I have an earlier version of this and it’s been fantastic. I don’t think you’ll do better without going to a very spendy commercial grade walk behind mower.

If I’m daydreaming while mowing and forget to empty the bag, it will pack the bag full. It will be packed so tight that I won’t be able to just upend the bag and shake it to get the clippings out, I’ll have to dig in with my hand and pull stuff out and loosen it up to be able to shake out and dump the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 09:48 AM

1,110 posts, read 895,767 times
Default Consider the EGO-the Tesla of Lawn Mowers

We have the push version, and my husband just loves it! It takes about an hour to mow our yard (1/2 acre), and there is still a bit left on the battery, which takes very little time to charge. He finds excuses to mow more often...

https://www.thespruce.com/ego-56-vol...review-4768323

Old 05-15-2020, 11:25 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Honda HRX 217. Self-propelled, ALWAYS fills the bag, and the bag is super easy to remove, dump into paper bags, and reinstall. Like seconds. It has 2 sets of blades, so it chops extra fine. It is also an excellent vacuum for leaves, as long as they are not super accumulated and high. I never rake my leaves, just a regular mowing schedule sucks them all up. It also has an electric battery start. It’s a beast!

I have this mower. Just about worn out after a decade of regular use. But it has been great and some new wheels and a few tweaks here and there should bring it back to great condition.

The machine does a great job of filling the bag right to the brim. I don't do it because it gets a little heavy, especially if the grass is damp.

I like this mower better than the Toro Personal Pace as this mower works by squeezing a handle to apply power to the wheels. As such, it pulls you along. Whereas, the Toro relies on YOU pushing a mechanism across the handle to make it move forward. Kills my back pushing on the thing after 30 minutes or so. After an hour, I have to stop because it hurts so much.

Honda great all the way. Go to Northern Tool with a coupon or a lawn and garden machine dealer. Stay away from the cheaper models sold at the big box stores like Home Depot or Lowes.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:26 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,297 times
Our yard is very, very steep and the only mower that works well is the Honda.

And their grass catcher is in a class of its own--like a vacuum.

I've had 6 of them over the last 40 years.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:09 PM

9,403 posts, read 11,150,657 times
OP, thanks for this thread. I'm in the market and will have a look at the Honda. I prefer big rear wheels and rear wheel drive, but I'm going to take a look at the HRX 217.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:58 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,034,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
OP, thanks for this thread. I'm in the market and will have a look at the Honda. I prefer big rear wheels and rear wheel drive, but I'm going to take a look at the HRX 217.
Pricey, but you can’t put a price on a good competent tool that does exactly what it’s supposed to. I send mine in at the end of every season for preventive maintenance and blade sharpening. Come Spring, I am ready to rock and roll. Don’t forget to remove all the fuel in the Fall, run it till it turns off. Will add life to the engine. I also do that with my string trimmer and backpack blower also.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:40 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,553,208 times
thanks again all, I am going to buy the Honda HRX 217 today. Mowed it again a couple of days ago, and this Toro just isn't capable of bagging very well, and life is just too short sometimes. I watched a few youtube videos on the Honda, which all confirmed your recommendations as well. Clearly the winner for what i need. A bit more than I was willing to spend ($650-ish after taxes), but I am in the exact same boat when it comes to tools. I simply cannot stand an incorrect tool.

The Toro 22' Recycler that I am replacing has been good. I would not call it a bad tool. But for us, as our lawn has come back over the years to a thick fescue, and I want to 100% bag and not mulch, it's just not the right tool for the job. But certainly got my $300 out of it over the past 5 years or so. I have no complaints (other than bagging ability for anything less than bone dry).

Old 05-26-2020, 05:00 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,553,208 times
Update - so I used the Honda for the first time yesterday. Grass was getting tall after 8 days. I have the HRX 217. Result? I LOVE IT!! For me, a total game changer in taking care of this yard (⅓ acre, 10,000 +/- sf of lawn area). Absolutely blows the old Toro out of the water in terms of speed (at ½ speed setting I am at a brisk wall), bagging, power, and also noise.

Whereas the Toro would start to clog at about 50% bag capacity if the grass was even remotely wet, this Honda does not. Additionally since it is a dual blade, the clippings are much smaller and far more compact. I used to have to stop and empty the bag at least a dozen times and would fill up 4 to 5 55-gallon bags. The Honda yesterday - I had to empty only 4 times and it all fit in just 1 ½ 55-gallon bags! And that is on the 100% bag setting (you can adjust that percentage between bag and mulch). The yard yesterday was damp but not soaked. This Honda basically vacuumed the lawn of all new clippings and also old clippings from the last time with the Toro (I would use the blower to spread out the stragglers after the cut). The lawn looks incredible now!

Speed - I am of average height at 5’10” - to set the speed dial at 100% is practically at jogging pace for me. I used it at 50% speed. What would take me 2 to 2 ½ hours to do (including trimming and blowing), took me only 1 hour yesterday! I used to be exhausted afterwards, but not anymore. To mow this yard is now basically like taking an easy but brisk walk for 45 minutes.

Noise - slightly quieter, but definitely smoother sounding. This mower does not scream at you at all. It just kind of purrs along at a perfectly even and level sound level. Not nearly as unpleasant as the Toro was.

Power - I have a low area that only really sees out after several days of pure sunlight. The grass is super dense there. The Toro would struggle with it. This Honda went through it like a hot knife through warm butter. Completely amazing. The engine didn’t even remotely bog down or even change sound to signal it was laboring any different.

End of the day - while not cheap at $650 (including tax) - absolutely the best lawn mower I have ever used, easily. Worth every penny! And I love the easy storage ability via the handle locks that snap and lock into place. No more bolting and unbolting to store it for me.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:14 AM

10,715 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Update - so I used the Honda for the first time yesterday. Grass was getting tall after 8 days. I have the HRX 217. Result? I LOVE IT!! For me, a total game changer in taking care of this yard (⅓ acre, 10,000 +/- sf of lawn area). Absolutely blows the old Toro out of the water in terms of speed (at ½ speed setting I am at a brisk wall), bagging, power, and also noise.

Whereas the Toro would start to clog at about 50% bag capacity if the grass was even remotely wet, this Honda does not. Additionally since it is a dual blade, the clippings are much smaller and far more compact. I used to have to stop and empty the bag at least a dozen times and would fill up 4 to 5 55-gallon bags. The Honda yesterday - I had to empty only 4 times and it all fit in just 1 ½ 55-gallon bags! And that is on the 100% bag setting (you can adjust that percentage between bag and mulch). The yard yesterday was damp but not soaked. This Honda basically vacuumed the lawn of all new clippings and also old clippings from the last time with the Toro (I would use the blower to spread out the stragglers after the cut). The lawn looks incredible now!

Speed - I am of average height at 5’10” - to set the speed dial at 100% is practically at jogging pace for me. I used it at 50% speed. What would take me 2 to 2 ½ hours to do (including trimming and blowing), took me only 1 hour yesterday! I used to be exhausted afterwards, but not anymore. To mow this yard is now basically like taking an easy but brisk walk for 45 minutes.

Noise - slightly quieter, but definitely smoother sounding. This mower does not scream at you at all. It just kind of purrs along at a perfectly even and level sound level. Not nearly as unpleasant as the Toro was.

Power - I have a low area that only really sees out after several days of pure sunlight. The grass is super dense there. The Toro would struggle with it. This Honda went through it like a hot knife through warm butter. Completely amazing. The engine didn’t even remotely bog down or even change sound to signal it was laboring any different.

End of the day - while not cheap at $650 (including tax) - absolutely the best lawn mower I have ever used, easily. Worth every penny! And I love the easy storage ability via the handle locks that snap and lock into place. No more bolting and unbolting to store it for me.

I'm very glad that it worked out for you, and that your experience matches ours. It IS a great lawn mower.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:18 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Glad you're a happy camper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden