Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2020, 08:11 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

Hi all im just curious if anyone has propagated a rose bush from a cutting before and if so can you tell me how ? thanks in advance . I am trying to propagate a mr lincoln it has to be one of my fave roses .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 08:44 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
phnelady,
yes. I do it all the time. Mr. Lincoln is also one of my favorites too.
Find a spot outside in the shade. Under a tree or bush or something, but outside
is ideal. Dig up the dirt and loosen it, you can use rooting hormone if you want, but you
don't have to.
Get yourself a plastic container or an old gallon milk jug(ideal), insert your rose stick into the dug up dirt
and place the jug on top of it, take the top off the jug, or make a hole in whatever plastic container you use,
and gently water (mist) the container or jug.
Mist every single day til you start to see growth, you will, then you can transplant it if you want.
No sun, daily misting, leave the top of the jug.
Rose in no time.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:50 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Almost all rose varieties are grafted. The nice pretty stems you like are one variety that was originally grafted onto a boring variety that provides the root portion. Why? The pretty roses are susceptible to soil diseases but the boring rose was selected because it thrives. So if you got your nice stem to produce roots then planted it in soil it would either die or just not grow well. If you learn how to do grafting however you might be successful in adding your stem to the crown of an appropriate rootstock.

Probably too much work and buying a young Mr Lincoln already grafted would not be much more expensive if at all. But i agree mr lincoln is gorgeous.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Almost all rose varieties are grafted. The nice pretty stems you like are one variety that was originally grafted onto a boring variety that provides the root portion. Why? The pretty roses are susceptible to soil diseases but the boring rose was selected because it thrives. So if you got your nice stem to produce roots then planted it in soil it would either die or just not grow well. If you learn how to do grafting however you might be successful in adding your stem to the crown of an appropriate rootstock.

Probably too much work and buying a young Mr Lincoln already grafted would not be much more expensive if at all. But i agree mr lincoln is gorgeous.
I agree, on the grafting, and on the beauty of the Mr. Lincoln rose. They are actually very easy to root, but may not give the results you want. One year after I pruned one of the cuttings landed cut tip into the ground and stuck, and I didn't notice. Later in the summer I discovered it, and it had rooted. I still have it, almost 30 years later, but it has never bloomed. I should try bud grafting but never remember to do it when mid-summer arrives. I'm used to grafting in winter/early spring.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
It is illegal to propagate roses which are still under patent.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:17 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
I successfully grafted a rose twice (got 2 to live). It was a 19th C. heirloom rose (I agree about not infringing on patent) and the rootstock was Fortuniana which "they said" was best for sandy Florida soil. I was so proud of myself. It is tricky to get the stem layers lined up and taped together but grafting has been done since ancient Roman era so I figured I'd give it a try.

Had to leave my roses behind when we moved
It is MUCH cheaper to buy roses pre-grafted but at the time I could not buy Fortuniana rooted rose and wanted to keep my heirloom alive. Nelson's in Florida sells Fortuniana rose grafts and so does Cool Roses in West Palm Beach FL.

The only reason I'd ever graft a rose again is to create a multi-color climbing rose with exactly the cultivars I wanted. Kinda like those fruit cocktail trees of orange, grapefruit and tangerine on one trunk haha. I've never seen a fruit cocktail tree but bet it doesn't live too long.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:20 PM

534 posts, read 488,768 times
I just propagated one of my roses of for a neighbor, it took 5 weeks but many people say to check at 3. I waited four and then gave it another week. I used the "air layer" technique. I have always only bought "own root" roses, but I'm sure this technique would work on grafted roses. Although I suppose a grafted rose could be a variety that is dependent on the graft root stock to thrive and was never meant to be own root. I have no experience with grafted. Mr. Lincoln is sold own root so I'd try it even if your current is grafted.

There's many instructions online, I can't recommend any particular one over another, I just read everything I could and watched YouTube videos. The bonsai forums are particularly helpful if you want very detailed instructions. Here's a video to get you started in case you're interested, but watch lots of them and see all the different details that people use to accomplish the same end. The air layer technique starts at 2:35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8854Jdpioko

Eventually, it just came down to practice, so my advice is to practice on a very full rose bush, in case you're like me and you cut too deep the first couple of times. If you cut too deep, the branch will break. I find it's actually easier to air layer trees, because their stems are so much sturdier! Also, be super careful if you use a razor blade! I was air layering this morning and the blade slipped a bit and I got cut (not badly fortunately!).

My helpful hints:

Pick a stem at least pencil size. Any thinner and the air layer might make it too flimsy. Your stem can be hard bark or green, it doesn't matter.

I pick a stem that has flowered. I don't really know much about blind shoots but I do this just because in my mind, if it flowered once, it can do it again. It's not scientific at all and I could be totally wrong, it's just something that sticks in my mind so I do it.

Make sure the cambium layer is totally removed. I always scratch up the stem gently with the razor after I remove the cambium.

I haven't found any difference in how long I choose the stem to be, I've done six inches and 24 inches, and results were the same, they both worked.

Be calm and take your time and do not rush the job. Go zen...BE the plant.

Wrap the finished air layer in a piece of aluminum foil. It will help keep the moss and subsequent roots cool by reflecting the sun.

Then you just wait. I set my calendar for a meeting with my air layer 4 weeks from the original cutting. I don't check in the interim because I am very good at sealing it up so it stays damp. This is just something you'll figure out as you go along. Your own technique. But you can use a syringe to inject water through the plastic if you want.

Currently I'm air layering a Honey Locust tree and a Chinese Pistache tree.

I have Mr. Lincoln on my rose wish list. Next year!

Rose patents are for 20 years. Mr. Lincoln was patented in 1964. You're more than good to go and make all the new Mr. Lincoln plants you want.

Last edited by typical_guinea_pig; 06-04-2020 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 06-04-2020, 01:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I successfully grafted a rose twice (got 2 to live). It was a 19th C. heirloom rose (I agree about not infringing on patent) and the rootstock was Fortuniana which "they said" was best for sandy Florida soil. I was so proud of myself. It is tricky to get the stem layers lined up and taped together but grafting has been done since ancient Roman era so I figured I'd give it a try.

Had to leave my roses behind when we moved
It is MUCH cheaper to buy roses pre-grafted but at the time I could not buy Fortuniana rooted rose and wanted to keep my heirloom alive. Nelson's in Florida sells Fortuniana rose grafts and so does Cool Roses in West Palm Beach FL.

The only reason I'd ever graft a rose again is to create a multi-color climbing rose with exactly the cultivars I wanted. Kinda like those fruit cocktail trees of orange, grapefruit and tangerine on one trunk haha. I've never seen a fruit cocktail tree but bet it doesn't live too long.
My climber is two colors, by accident. It's a Joseph's Coat which has multi-colored blooms already, but then some suckers from the graft stock came up and bloom now, with dark red petals and yellow pistils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden