Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 04:27 PM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times

Advertisements

I have these 2 plants in my house.

They both have one pretty robust branch that’s still alive, but broke and has no leaves.

How can I encourage new leaf growth on those branches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 04:51 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Can you post pictures?

Old 06-07-2020, 05:05 PM

19,771 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Fiddle leaf fern?

Old 06-07-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Can you post pictures?
Will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Fiddle leaf fern?
Fig. Clearly I’m out of my depth.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:55 PM

Both branches are alive with no leaves. They both broke off by accident.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:17 PM

They are okay. Both of those broken branches already have new growth buds just starting to appear on the sides of the branch trunks. So you don't need to do anything except to trim off those ragged broken tips at the top of each branch where they broke off. Use a set of pruning shears and cut straight across just immediately below the breaks to make them look neater. Then just leave them alone and let them do their thing.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
They are okay. Both of those broken branches already have new growth buds just starting to appear on the sides of the branch trunks. So you don't need to do anything except to trim off those ragged broken tips at the top of each branch where they broke off. Use a set of pruning shears and cut straight across just immediately below the breaks to make them look neater. Then just leave them alone and let them do their thing.
Hmm I don't see anything green coming from the branch on the money tree. I gave it a clean cut, but I guess there's nothing else I can do to encourage growth?

Old 06-15-2020, 12:25 PM

17,343 posts, read 11,285,635 times
It may take weeks. As long as the stems are green, there's a good chance the plant will recover and start pushing out some new leaves. Don't over water it. Without green leaves, it needs very little water. Over watering now will cause it to rot. Let the soil get somewhat dry in between waterings.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Hmm I don't see anything green coming from the branch on the money tree. I gave it a clean cut, but I guess there's nothing else I can do to encourage growth?
Not that I know of. I'm not overly impressed with money plants. Read this thread about money trees: https://www.city-data.com/forum/gard...tree-help.html

Have you been giving it any kind of fertilizer? Is it getting lots of bright day light (but NOT direct sunlight, they don't like that) in it's location? How old is it and how long has it been in that soil? Do you see any roots growing out through the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot?

If it's been in the same pot and soil for more than 2 or 3 years there's a possibility it could be root bound and/or getting a salt build up in the soil so I'd suggest you could repot it into a slightly larger pot in all new fresh clean potting soil. That might give it a kick start. Make sure it's placed in a location that gets plenty of bright day light but not a lot of direct sunlight.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:03 PM

285 posts, read 204,421 times
It looks overwatered. Try cutting back on the watering and give it time. There's new growth there already (the tiny leaves sprouting).

When I say to to give it time I mean at least a full year of bright but not direct sunlight. Growth slows in the winter time. This is natural. If you're in a warmer climate growth should be the same throughout the year. You'll see faster growth if you're not experiencing cold winters. New branches should begin and you might see some new structure 12 months from now. I wouldn't prune for at least one or two years. Let it fill out before you prune or prune sparingly to encourage new growth. For the novice I wouldn't suggest pruning for awhile. Let it grow out. The bare branches may shoot out new leaves and branches but you'll have to be patient.

Avoid ledges next to cold window panes and drafty areas. They like steady house temperatures without drafts and bright light but not direct sunlight. Wait for the soil to dry before watering again and don't soak the whole pot. If you can post a photo of the pot and plant we can also see the proportion of pot to plant. The plant may be in a pot that's too big leading to the overwatering issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden