Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 10:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
He did say "around my yard" so I assume that didn't mean "in" the lawn. All that typing OP did and funny how location of weeds was never mentioned. lol. Also, OP mentioned they used "Ortho 360" which I believe is a ground vegetation clear so I assume its not for the lawn.

But yeah, maybe OP can confirm where these weeds are.

The Ortho 360 should have worked for months or a year. Maybe didn't spray it enough.
I should have been more specific, the weeds are in my mulch beds, and on the edges of sidewalks, and driveway.

I sprayed them pretty good, and it didnt rain afterwards, so plenty of time for it to work.

Its kind of funny about the mulch beds, people always say mulch prohibits weed growth, but in my experience, Ive seen the opposite!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
A hoe is only temporary. Weeds will eventually grow back even if you put new soil there.
A spray is only temporary. Eventually they grow back.

Only 1 thing will work and it requires a little spending of $$ and time to install....
WEED BLOCKER FABRIC. Period.

I installed mine years ago and it's been a blessing since. I remember hearing from the "internet forum" advice that its no good. Gotta love it. I haven't pulled weeds from those areas in years and I am grateful. They were such a pain every month!

Any weeds that do try to pop up aren't supported by soil (in the mulch) and they can easily be pulled without effort and there aren't many that make it. Can just rake the mulch too.
Ive used that before, the weeds just grow on top of the fabric. Its too bad there is nothing beneficial in crabgrass or some of these other weeds, they will thrive just about everywhere! LOL

Old 08-07-2020, 11:00 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Anything with 2-4 d should work. It does on mine. It is generally slow to work however, sometimes taking 2 weeks to see any results.

I hit some kochia about 5 days ago and it is just now showing signs of being treated.

Old 08-07-2020, 11:55 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I have a lot of crabgrass, I also have this other type of grassy weed, cannot recall the name of it, but it spreads underground, if you rip out the stalks of grass, it will just create more 'tentacles' that spread out. This weed is actually pretty tough to pull up by hand, its all connected underground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I should have been more specific, the weeds are in my mulch beds, and on the edges of sidewalks, and driveway.

I sprayed them pretty good, and it didnt rain afterwards, so plenty of time for it to work.

Its kind of funny about the mulch beds, people always say mulch prohibits weed growth, but in my experience, Ive seen the opposite!
The best way to stop crabgrass is with a pre-emergent that you use in the spring before it germinates. I'll bet you have it around your sidewalks and driveway from using a weedwacker. This is very common and once it gets started it spread throughout the yard. I've found the best solution to this is to carefully edge only around you sidewalks and driveway.

Once the crabgrass is established, you need a post-emergent weedkiller or you can pull it out if there is not that much. The top products are Tenacity and Quinclorac. The best product is MSMA (Monosodium methanearsonate), but it has been banned for residential use.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:28 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Commercial grade stuff works ok, at best. But, it doesn't "keep killing" weeds after a month or so.
For permanent weed abatement, you'll need diesel.

EDIT~ Methyl Bromide works too, but you're not getting that...

Old 08-07-2020, 01:27 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,949 times
Quote:
A hoe is only temporary. Weeds will eventually grow back even if you put new soil there.
A spray is only temporary. Eventually they grow back.

Only 1 thing will work and it requires a little spending of $$ and time to install....
WEED BLOCKER FABRIC. Period.

I installed mine years ago and it's been a blessing since. I remember hearing from the "internet forum" advice that its no good. Gotta love it. I haven't pulled weeds from those areas in years and I am grateful. They were such a pain every month!

Any weeds that do try to pop up aren't supported by soil (in the mulch) and they can easily be pulled without effort and there aren't many that make it. Can just rake the mulch too.
Weed blocker fabric works in some circumstances. But the problem I have is in my cobble rock. Even though it was placed on top of weed blocker fabric, weed seeds appear from above, whether via birds or wind. It's really tough to pull them out of the rock, so spray is the only way to go.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:48 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,663,818 times
My neighbor set the neighborhood on fire using a torch for his weeds. Two house totaled, one partially and several trees burned to death. No one on the street gives them any more than the finger now.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:11 PM

291 posts, read 109,143 times
gasoline, make sure you dont have any nearby water supplies thoguh, just pour the gasoline there and if you are the least patient person on earth, light it on fire, the weeds will take forever to come back

Old 08-07-2020, 07:18 PM

83,506 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Wow at all the suggestions. lololol. Good luck.

Based on our replies so far this is what we have said to OP to use

2-4-D based selective or Round-Up
a hoe
weed killer with dicamba
concentrated glyphosate
table salt in warm water.
herbicide comparable to Weed B Gone
Roundup
weed blocker
diesel
a torch
gasoline

Old 08-07-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airemp76 View Post
gasoline, make sure you dont have any nearby water supplies thoguh, just pour the gasoline there and if you are the least patient person on earth, light it on fire, the weeds will take forever to come back
Actually, We have tried that before with a long fence line that was full of weeds, it burned up pretty good, but within 4-6 days, green could be seen here and there.

Ive never heard of ANY plant, that can be set on fire, and burnt up, and within a weeks time, it is starting to grow again!! That is just amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden