Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 10:08 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Parsley is a biennial, it overwinters and then goes to seed in its second year. Maybe really far north it's unable to overwinter, but at least in the Toronto area, it has reliably overwintered for me.
OK. It's never overwintered before but last year I planted it in a different location where it must have had enough shelter. Mystery solved, thanks to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2023, 11:39 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yes they have! I was intending to buy some herbs at Lowe’s last week, but they were $9.98. I can buy plenty of grocery store herbs for what that would have cost me.
And that is why I bought an herb seed collection from a seller on Amazon. To my surprise, herbs are exceedingly easy to grow. The seeds were cheap, they all sprouted, and they taste and smell wonderful.

I've got them up-potted into decent size pots and they are sitting on my front porch. Those I don't use fresh, I will dehydrate.

Cilantro has a short life and it is tricky to get the tomatoes and the cilantro ready at the same time. I plant the seeds successively so they sprout at different times, and I can extend the useful life of cilantro by cutting the plants off short and letting them grow back. But yes, timing the salsa ingredients is a good trick.

Old 06-20-2023, 01:15 PM

482 posts, read 901,980 times
Planting Mystic Blue Salvias. Beautiful purple blooms that should go well with my hot lips salvias.

Old 06-25-2023, 07:34 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,168,905 times

Old 09-03-2023, 03:00 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
It’s not spring, but here in the south, the fall is the best time to plant perennials and shrubs. DH spent the past few days weeding and mulching the bed of daylilies on the south side of our house, and I just planted 4 new ones in some bare spots. So good to have that done.

Some Rosa rugosa are enroute from the grower, and they will go in the same area. I saw these roses in Alaska and they supposedly are ok in my zone, so here’s hoping. Many things have failed to thrive in this area.

Last edited by gentlearts; 09-03-2023 at 04:04 PM..

Old 09-04-2023, 03:32 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,032,631 times
Can't remember if I posted that I'm making an iris bed for the 12-15 of them purchased in the last 12 months.
2022 was a better bloom year for my iris in pots but we had a weird cold spell at the time they should be blooming in 2023 and not many bloomed.

Purchased some deep pink phlox, purple vervain and Starship Blue cardinal flower to add to garden, hope the rabbits hate the taste and let them live. I have to surround many plants with chicken wire to preserve them and that worked well. Looks good once things get growing, the wire disappears.

Dahlias.... dahlias hate this heat and strong sun--I have no shade to offer them. Bought many in the last 12 months and gotten little joy from them except for the 4 put into a "self"watering" container. Those 4 are blooming really well. Won't buy more, will try and put the ones I own in better places (voles eat the tubers if I put them directly in the dirt and I suspect rabbits eat the tops.)

Non-perennials=Cilantro (above post) didn't make it--this NC summer has been hellish heat after a fantastic long spring. Fall herb seeds have been started: cilantro, dill, bronze fennel, flat and curly parsley, big leaf basil and a few more. Still have basil and parsley growing in garden, heat didn't take them out (I watered) but Eastern Tiger Swallowtail caterpillars have cut the parsley down to stalks that are regrowing. I grow more herbs than we can use just for bees, butterflies and small birds. Goldfinches like lemon basil seedheads after bees are done with flower blossoms.

One artichoke plant grown from seed finally lived (2nd year trying), cut one head to eat and left another to flower. It's just too hot here to grow artichokes so won't grow them again.

Old 09-04-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Can't remember if I posted that I'm making an iris bed for the 12-15 of them purchased in the last 12 months.
2022 was a better bloom year for my iris in pots but we had a weird cold spell at the time they should be blooming in 2023 and not many bloomed.

Purchased some deep pink phlox, purple vervain and Starship Blue cardinal flower to add to garden, hope the rabbits hate the taste and let them live. I have to surround many plants with chicken wire to preserve them and that worked well. Looks good once things get growing, the wire disappears.

Dahlias.... dahlias hate this heat and strong sun--I have no shade to offer them. Bought many in the last 12 months and gotten little joy from them except for the 4 put into a "self"watering" container. Those 4 are blooming really well. Won't buy more, will try and put the ones I own in better places (voles eat the tubers if I put them directly in the dirt and I suspect rabbits eat the tops.)

Non-perennials=Cilantro (above post) didn't make it--this NC summer has been hellish heat after a fantastic long spring. Fall herb seeds have been started: cilantro, dill, bronze fennel, flat and curly parsley, big leaf basil and a few more. Still have basil and parsley growing in garden, heat didn't take them out (I watered) but Eastern Tiger Swallowtail caterpillars have cut the parsley down to stalks that are regrowing. I grow more herbs than we can use just for bees, butterflies and small birds. Goldfinches like lemon basil seedheads after bees are done with flower blossoms.

One artichoke plant grown from seed finally lived (2nd year trying), cut one head to eat and left another to flower. It's just too hot here to grow artichokes so won't grow them again.
I guess you’re in NC, but I planted $75. worth of dahlias in GA and got no flowers. Still, I persevere. Gardening is about hope and patience. Iris, no. Dahlia, no. Don’t feel,bad.

Old 09-04-2023, 07:56 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I've been putting some lovely local blooming weeds behind my garage. Have noticed a number of younger neighbors are allowing their yards to go back to natural or augmenting the natural with wildflowers.

So far I've got a couple of healthy butterfly weeds, milkweed and native yellow coneflower. I'd like to add toadflax and some harebells. Searching high and low for the harebells and catnip. Don't know where they all went.

Old 09-05-2023, 03:36 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,190,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I've been putting some lovely local blooming weeds behind my garage. Have noticed a number of younger neighbors are allowing their yards to go back to natural or augmenting the natural with wildflowers.

So far I've got a couple of healthy butterfly weeds, milkweed and native yellow coneflower. I'd like to add toadflax and some harebells. Searching high and low for the harebells and catnip. Don't know where they all went.
Amazon as well as Etsy, etc have catmint seeds and small plants - Nepeta Cataria

If you are looking for fancy catmint and don’t mind the price - Bluestone perennials, outside pride have various catmints in stock

Campanula (Harebells?) is available as seeds and plants as well - different colors, growing habits, size, etc

Old 09-05-2023, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

There is definitely a movement around here too, to use native plants, and plants that attract pollinators. Also butterfly plants like milkweed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden