Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2021, 08:25 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times

Advertisements

I picked up some new things to fill bare end-of-season spots that will be well-rooted by spring: yellow agastache, red flowering hesperaloe, and some orange flowering thing I’ve never heard of and now can’t remember. I bought two of those.

Then I grabbed small-growing, slender golden rod, Passion flower vine, and some little bluestem grasses from a native plant sale today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 09:52 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
OP, just wanted to say thanks for this thread! I've subscribed to it from the start but only today caught up on a bunch of posts I hadn't read (going back to April I think! ). I rep'd you but didn't write a comment (I usually do).

I love the helpful hints in this thread but especially the PICTURES! I do wish, though, that posters would always say where they were since that info often isn't listed under their join date/other info (top right of each post). Sometimes in other threads I'll see a gorgeous plant I'd love to buy ... then I realize from the location info that it wouldn't work where I live. (I'm in southwestern New Hampshire, gardening zone 5b.)

I need to do some weeding today! Looks like we'll have decent weather (high 60s/low 70s with some sunshine) for the next week. Gotta love New England falls!

Old 10-10-2021, 02:00 PM

7,489 posts, read 7,156,393 times
Karen, so happy to hear you're going to enjoying this thread.

It has been a pleasure sharing the pictures and along others to enjoy them.

In the mid-Atlantic area temperatures here here still very warm so the perennials are blooming in the grass is still growing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, just wanted to say thanks for this thread! I've subscribed to it from the start but only today caught up on a bunch of posts I hadn't read (going back to April I think! ). I rep'd you but didn't write a comment (I usually do).

I love the helpful hints in this thread but especially the PICTURES! I do wish, though, that posters would always say where they were since that info often isn't listed under their join date/other info (top right of each post). Sometimes in other threads I'll see a gorgeous plant I'd love to buy ... then I realize from the location info that it wouldn't work where I live. (I'm in southwestern New Hampshire, gardening zone 5b.)

I need to do some weeding today! Looks like we'll have decent weather (high 60s/low 70s with some sunshine) for the next week. Gotta love New England falls!

Old 10-31-2021, 08:06 AM

Fall has set in…time to clean up the garden and prepare for the winter months. Most of the perennials blooming has slowed though the Helleborus Ballardiae are just getting ready.

Old 11-02-2021, 12:22 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I’ve refreshed my hanging basket with pansies. They should go through almost the whole winter. I planted a third camellia in the back yard, so it will bloom in January or so.

I avoided planting azaleas for a long time, since they are so ubiquitous, but the 6 Encores I planted in the front are in bloom, and I am really enjoying them now, when other things are pooping out.

Old 11-04-2021, 05:11 PM

I have not grown pansies for several seasons now, but was amazed with a little bit of fertilizer they would thrive from October through late April.

Love camellias. Had two at my previous residence and each year they would bloom like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’ve refreshed my hanging basket with pansies. They should go through almost the whole winter. I planted a third camellia in the back yard, so it will bloom in January or so.

I avoided planting azaleas for a long time, since they are so ubiquitous, but the 6 Encores I planted in the front are in bloom, and I am really enjoying them now, when other things are pooping out.

Old 11-19-2021, 02:37 PM

Just nearly Thanksgiving week and the EnduraScape Verbena is still blooming strong.

Quite impressive.

Old 11-19-2021, 03:44 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I want to add more heucheras this year, not so much for their tiny flowers (although they are lovely when blooming), but for their gorgeous foliage ...
I found 15 heuchera plants on clearance sale at Kroger last weekend and got them in the ground today.

I've also ordered seeds to plant the last strip of grass along the sidewalk by my house, and I'll start cold stratifying them in December. It's going to be a Piet Oudolf inspired, mostly-native garden.
  • Anise hyssop
  • Tall thimbleweed
  • Bush's poppy mallow (aka prairie wine cups)
  • Bottle gentian
  • Stiff gentian
  • Prairie alumroot (aka heuchera richardsonii)
  • Bradbury's monarda
  • Obedient plant
  • Western Indiana physic
  • Slender mountain mint
  • Orange coneflower
  • Wild petunia
  • Switch grass
  • Prairie dropseed

I'm also moving some New England aster and plains oval sedge out there from elsewhere in my yard, plus ordering two dwarf bottlebrush plants.

Last edited by sheerbliss; 11-19-2021 at 03:53 PM..

Old 11-19-2021, 04:00 PM

19,499 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Been thinking of lilac, tulips & daffodils. I have to look them up if I were to put any of them in fenced back yard area. One of the dogs takes a semi interest in mulch, maybe he's looking for a twig?

Old 12-08-2021, 04:25 PM

EnduraScape Verbena Is a winner.

Still looks like the picture I posted at Thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden