Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2022, 09:15 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just planted 2 hybrid tea roses today. Two big sturdy bare root plants from Costco for $15.99. Just a little carrot to keep me going. Is it spring yet?
Oh, I am so jealous! Our high today is expected to be 11 ... overnight low -2. That's actually warmer than this Friday's expected overnight low of -5.

I love New England, but our gardening season is SO SHORT! Gentlearts, please post pictures when your lovely tea roses start to bloom. I can live vicariously ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2022, 02:43 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Oh, I am so jealous! Our high today is expected to be 11 ... overnight low -2. That's actually warmer than this Friday's expected overnight low of -5.

I love New England, but our gardening season is SO SHORT! Gentlearts, please post pictures when your lovely tea roses start to bloom. I can live vicariously ...
I feel for you. One of my kids lives in Westport, MA and they are in the minuses. Here are a few things from around my yard today, although it got down to 32 last night. It doesn’t stay cold for long stretches.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Perennials Are You Adding To Your Garden This Spring?-49988351-acfb-46f2-adce-eab6d43cebdb.jpeg   Which Perennials Are You Adding To Your Garden This Spring?-b0c3061e-3587-4f8d-8bdf-a1acf053bede.jpeg   Which Perennials Are You Adding To Your Garden This Spring?-b143bb94-29ee-4f92-8472-52aa122fb678.jpeg  

Old 01-29-2022, 04:27 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,168,905 times
Only 50 days until spring.

Great find on the tea roses.

Quote:
I just planted 2 hybrid tea roses today. Two big sturdy bare root plants from Costco for $15.99. Just a little carrot to keep me going. Is it spring yet?

Old 01-29-2022, 05:50 AM

It’s going to be 22f here tonight. I’ll be covering an orange tree and a tibouchina and taking in 2 hanging baskets.

Valentines Day will be when winter ends here. Time to hard prune the roses, put down pre emergent and fertilize.

Old 01-31-2022, 03:28 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
It’s going to be 22f here tonight. I’ll be covering an orange tree and a tibouchina and taking in 2 hanging baskets.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry! I got up this morning around 5:30 a.m. and checked the weather ... it was NEGATIVE 11 at that time. Not wind chill, but actual temperature.

Quote:
Valentines Day will be when winter ends here. Time to hard prune the roses, put down pre emergent and fertilize.
I tell my students that I love when February 1st hits, which is TOMORROW ... I can say, "Hey, spring is coming!" even though February in New England is often brutal. But there is HOPE for spring, as I can now say "Spring will be here NEXT MONTH," and then late spring, and plantings again.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:37 AM

Ahhhh. I got in little garden time this morning. It in the 60s here. I released my potted lime tree from its winter home in the garage, gave it a good drink and a dose of fertilizer. I also pruned some hollies and viburnum, which are loaded with buds. It felt so nice to be out in the warm sun.

Old 02-01-2022, 04:47 PM

Nice, warmer temps are coming.

I might need to get out to trim some of my hollies as well.

Quote:
Ahhhh. I got in little garden time this morning. It in the 60s here. I released my potted lime tree from its winter home in the garage, gave it a good drink and a dose of fertilizer. I also pruned some hollies and viburnum, which are loaded with buds. It felt so nice to be out in the warm sun.

Old 02-03-2022, 06:58 PM

185 posts, read 253,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I found 15 heuchera plants on clearance sale at Kroger last weekend and got them in the ground today.

I've also ordered seeds to plant the last strip of grass along the sidewalk by my house, and I'll start cold stratifying them in December. It's going to be a Piet Oudolf inspired, mostly-native garden.
  • Anise hyssop
  • Tall thimbleweed
  • Bush's poppy mallow (aka prairie wine cups)
  • Bottle gentian
  • Stiff gentian
  • Prairie alumroot (aka heuchera richardsonii)
  • Bradbury's monarda
  • Obedient plant
  • Western Indiana physic
  • Slender mountain mint
  • Orange coneflower
  • Wild petunia
  • Switch grass
  • Prairie dropseed

I'm also moving some New England aster and plains oval sedge out there from elsewhere in my yard, plus ordering two dwarf bottlebrush plants.

Piet Oudolf, that is a rabbit hole I am more than happy to be lost in, for eternity. What an aesthetic. Thank you for posting!

Old 02-03-2022, 07:15 PM

3,264 posts, read 1,745,602 times
I finally found the climbing roses I had at my first house. (They're the JFK variant) The grew rather quicky IIRC. Another I just HAVE TO HAVE is edilweiss. My mother's side of the family came over in 1938. I'd like to have a remembrance garden of her favorite flowers for her.

Old 02-05-2022, 05:09 AM

Very thoughtful.

Excellent choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
I finally found the climbing roses I had at my first house. (They're the JFK variant) The grew rather quicky IIRC. Another I just HAVE TO HAVE is edilweiss. My mother's side of the family came over in 1938. I'd like to have a remembrance garden of her favorite flowers for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden