Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 10:13 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times

Advertisements

Gemstone is correct

Radishes are the easiest thing to grow. There is a quick gratification, and little maintenance

It is extremely easy to make a Potato Box, regardless of your living space. Kids love to watch the potato sprout, just keep them out of the leaves as , like their kin tomato, they are toxic. After you cut the tops off, kids love to help dig slowly and carefully through the dirt to find potatoes.

And Not just kids I have a potato box. My harvest date is April 15, then I will re-fertilize and plant sweet potatoes.

But you do not even have to have a box. I just got a couple of extra Potato bags off of Amazon, so that I can have multiple crops.
Either way Have fun What a great way to get kids into gardening !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 10:32 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I just can't visualize this. I know about "blown eggs" and we did that too .... but ..... I think you missed a step How did you get the soil and the seeds into the empty blown eggshells if they only had two little holes in them? Where did the radish leaves grow?

OMG. I just came back here and saw "BOWEL" instead of "BOWL". And yes, the soil. We added that into the scooped out larger hole, which wasn't really that small. It was easy to fill with soil. It faced up, like a jagged little egg cup.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:51 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Cherry tomatoes are probably the best choice. At least there will be a lot of them. Zucchini flowers are pretty and you'll have a lot to pick.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:21 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Try Potatoes. So easy to grow and she'll have fun digging them up and finding them.

Or do a small corn maze for them. She'll associate fun with a garden. :-)

Old 04-01-2021, 05:46 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
I'd stick with a harvest that doesn't need to be cooked.

String beans are very easy to grow. They come in colors too -- yellow, green, purple. Pick and eat.

Fava Beans can be eaten right off the vine too. Peel away the pod and eat the seeds. Delicious and different.

Grape and cherry tomatoes do well in five gallons buckets if you're limited in space.

Red onions are beautiful.

Consider Sugar Snap Peas if you have a trellis of some kind. Very tasty (rather sweet) and easy to grow. Just pick and eat. The children will enjoy watching the little tentacles reach out, looking for something to grab and pull themselves upward.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:31 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
To encourage the kids to eat veggies, have them grow a "sweet millions" cherry tomato. The kids can pick them and eat them right off the plant.

Also some edible pod Chinese peas. They are easy to grow and are tasty picked and eaten right off the plant. They are fun for kids because you have to hunt to find the ones ready to pick, but it's not too hard to find them.

Radishes are quick and easy, but how many kids like to eat radishes?

Old 04-01-2021, 08:38 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Are you in Texas? Do the kids like watermelon? Those are really easy to grow if you have the weather for it. Because the seeds are big, they are easy for kids to handle.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:48 PM

3,605 posts, read 1,656,182 times
Radishes are fastest...easiest.

Planting a sunflower will give the biggest sense of accomplishment as it grows mini tree sized fast.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:18 PM

20,634 posts, read 4,415,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
I want to start a small vegetable garden this summer for my three year old granddaughter.

What are some suggestions of plants that are easy to grow and produce the most visual impact for her to start?

We live in central Texas.

Corn is always fun. Grow one single stalk, or a full row. Most kids like corn.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:11 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,400,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Corn is always fun. Grow one single stalk, or a full row. Most kids like corn.
If corn is to be grown, to promote pollination, it's best to grow a block of multiple plants. Avoid a single row or, especially, a single plant.

A few sunflowers are always nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden