Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 10:46 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times

Advertisements

All of a sudden our, what I thought was healthy Jade plant, is showing some kind of fungus?

What product should I purchase and use to resolve this? Thanks

Last edited by Rickcin; 06-24-2022 at 07:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 05:35 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times
Are you overwatering it...looks like it has been in shade...move to a little more sun possibly? Best to underwater them a bit. I have jade plants here in So. Cal that are over 40 years old and 8 feet tall...grow like weeds. Best with minimal water and part shade (especially inland)...full sun in coastal conditions fine.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:37 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
Pinch off the infected leaves, remove the top layer of soil which may harbor spores. Watch carefully. They thrive on a bit of benign neglect.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:22 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Jade plant problems that cause black spots range from insects, viruses, fungal disease and even incorrect care, over watering. Check this web site for care info: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/hou...jade-plant.htm
I water my 10 year old jade plant every 4-6 weeks, thoroughly in well draining soil, it gets about 6-8 hours of filtered sun daily.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:31 PM

36 posts, read 26,017 times
You urgently need to remove the parts of the plant affected by the fungus, reduce watering (because the fungus multiplies in a humid environment), place the plant where the air circulation is better (but away from other plants so that they do not become infected with the fungus too) and treat the affected plant and all plants that are next to it, a fungicide.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:38 AM

The plant is the only one on a small table a few inches away from a window that faces southeast so it gets plenty of sun. I believe my wife is watering it every two weeks, so could it really be getting too much water?

Old 04-09-2021, 12:23 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Is that the same jade that you posted about before Christmas last year - the one you repotted into the lovely blue ceramic container?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
The plant is the only one on a small table a few inches away from a window that faces southeast so it gets plenty of sun. I believe my wife is watering it every two weeks, so could it really be getting too much water?
Yes, too much water and too often. It should only need to be watered once a month. It shows other signs of too much water besides that one rotting branch (that whole branch with those bad leaves should be removed by the way, not just the visibly afflicted leaves with the powdery mildew and cankers on them).

There are faint yellowing patches showing on other leaves on that branch (the leaves will be going mushy under the surface where those yellow patches show) and those patches will be the next to get cankers and/or mildew on them.

Also if you look to the left on that picture when it's enlarged, see the leaves that have tiny white speckles on them. Those white speckles are where pores of the leaves have become clogged up with white mineral salts. When a jade gets too much water it takes up more water and minerals from the soil than it can utilize or respire out of the plant so the white mineral salts get stuck in the leaf pores and the clogged pores prevents the expiration of excess water. So essentially it bloats up with water and begins to drown from within its own self and it suffocates on the inside. Then the spores of powdery mildew get into the respiring pores that aren't clogged up with salts but are working overtime to expel moisture, and the spores attack those pores and the leaves' surfaces from the outside.

You can help to get rid of the mineral salts that are stuck in the pores on other leaves that are not yet cankered by the powdery mildew. One half gallon of water mixed with one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (ONLY ACV, no other kind of vinegar is safe enough to use - remember strong vinegar kills plants) - don't spray it on, you must dip a soft cloth in the solution, wring it only slightly so it doesn't drip all over, and use the wet cloth to wipe off the top and underside of each leaf. The ACV solution will help dissolve and lift out the worst of the mineral salts at the surface, and it will also kill the powdery mildew spores that are in the un-clogged pores and on the surface of each leaf. Also wipe down the stems and the trunk.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Is that the same jade that you posted about before Christmas last year - the one you repotted into the lovely blue ceramic container?

Yes, too much water and too often. It should only need to be watered once a month. It shows other signs of too much water besides that one rotting branch (that whole branch with those bad leaves should be removed by the way, not just the visibly afflicted leaves with the powdery mildew and cankers on them).

There are faint yellowing patches showing on other leaves on that branch (the leaves will be going mushy under the surface where those yellow patches show) and those patches will be the next to get cankers and/or mildew on them.

Also if you look to the left on that picture when it's enlarged, see the leaves that have tiny white speckles on them. Those white speckles are where pores of the leaves have become clogged up with white mineral salts. When a jade gets too much water it takes up more water and minerals from the soil than it can utilize or respire out of the plant so the white mineral salts get stuck in the leaf pores and the clogged pores prevents the expiration of excess water. So essentially it bloats up with water and begins to drown from within its own self and it suffocates on the inside. Then the spores of powdery mildew get into the respiring pores that aren't clogged up with salts but are working overtime to expel moisture, and the spores attack those pores and the leaves' surfaces from the outside.

You can help to get rid of the mineral salts that are stuck in the pores on other leaves that are not yet cankered by the powdery mildew. One half gallon of water mixed with one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (ONLY ACV, no other kind of vinegar is safe enough to use - remember strong vinegar kills plants) - don't spray it on, you must dip a soft cloth in the solution, wring it only slightly so it doesn't drip all over, and use the wet cloth to wipe off the top and underside of each leaf. The ACV solution will help dissolve and lift out the worst of the mineral salts at the surface, and it will also kill the powdery mildew spores that are in the un-clogged pores and on the surface of each leaf. Also wipe down the stems and the trunk.

Yes, you are exactly correct and very astute...that is the same Jade Plant that I posted previously and repotted❗️

You have an amazing knowledge of these Jade plants and I will follow your advice regarding the use a ACV and limiting the watering frequency. I was using a soil meter and water the plant once the soil is completely dry and not indicating any moisture on the gauge. I’m guessing that procedure is not correct and that the soil needs to remain dry for a period of time prior to another watering? Somehow that sounds difficult since I won’t be able to establish a specific time in between waterings.

Thank you so much for posting and for the very detailed response, it’s greatly appreciated! This Jade was given to us a few years ago by my Mom who is now 97 years of age.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:44 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Yes, you are exactly correct and very astute...that is the same Jade Plant that I posted previously and repotted❗️

You have an amazing knowledge of these Jade plants and I will follow your advice regarding the use a ACV and limiting the watering frequency. I was using a soil meter and water the plant once the soil is completely dry and not indicating any moisture on the gauge. I’m guessing that procedure is not correct and that the soil needs to remain dry for a period of time prior to another watering? Somehow that sounds difficult since I won’t be able to establish a specific time in between waterings.

Thank you so much for posting and for the very detailed response, it’s greatly appreciated! This Jade was given to us a few years ago by my Mom who is now 97 years of age.
Thanks, you're too kind, my technical knowledge is passable but unfortunately my practical or personal knowledge about jades is kind of limited because they don't like me very much. I might go so far as to say they hate me. Over the years I've had a few jades that have all rebelled and revolted against me by committing suicide for no apparent reason other than they wanted to spite me.

My succulent pickle plant (Delosperma echinatum) is the only succulent I've ever kept that hasn't rejected me, that seemingly likes me and is responsive and appreciative of my tender ministrations. And it's really cute and fuzzy.

But I finally have one jade now that just barely tolerates me with disdain and I think it hasn't suicided because I've trained myself over the past 5 years of ownership to ignore and neglect it and not fuss over it, pretend it's invisible except to water it once a month and occasionally wipe dust off the leaves. It's a cutting that came from a friend's inherited "family jade tree" that is just under 100 years old which has been passed along from one person to another in their family for all that time. But that tree of theirs has been neglected by everyone in that family too and it's flourished from the neglect, so maybe it's in my plant's DNA to demand to be neglected too.

My cutting is a weird looking thing, it was 3 inches long when I took it, now 5 years later it's 11 inches high, and it has a long naked trunk and 5 leaf-covered arms that stick straight up into the air equidistantly from each other like the spokes of an umbrella that's been blown completely inside out by a stiff gust of wind. But it has finally obliged me by growing some new baby jade plants out of its crown at the roots. The babies' leaves don't look like the parent plant's leaves but they have the same growth habit. All parts of it are healthy and glossy looking.

Anyway - with regard to watering it, it's usually done around the 4 weeks mark and maybe a bit more often in summer when it gets really hot but I wait until the leaves all start to droop downwards just a little bit so they look like they're trying to get closer to hug the branch that they're growing out of. After I water it, within 3 or 4 hours the leaves have lifted to stand out in their normal horizontal positions again. I never let it get to the stage that the leaves look shrunken or shriveling up.

I've come to the conclusion that each jade plant has a very distinct, individual personality of it's own, that they aren't all the same as each other and can't be treated as though they are all the same. You have to work at figuring out what each one's personality is.

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-09-2021 at 04:58 PM..

Old 04-10-2021, 12:56 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Yep. They look overwatered to me as well, on top of not getting a lot out of sunshine. They need a lot of sun and barely much water anyway. I'd say like once a month in general (at least my jade plants fit this requirement).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden