Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 05:20 PM

1,353 posts, read 788,051 times

Advertisements

My relative asked me, where to buy roses.
I recommended Edmunds and Jackson & Perkins. It appears, all the best roses are sold there already!
Are there any other reputable companies in US to buy roses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 07:09 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
My relative asked me, where to buy roses.
I recommended Edmunds and Jackson & Perkins. It appears, all the best roses are sold there already!
Are there any other reputable companies in US to buy roses?
I don't know where you live, but have you tried the big box stores? I have bought some surprisingly nice roses from Home Depot in the past. Right about now is the best selection, though you can pick up some bargains in June. Those may be half dead and picked over but can revive with tender care.

Right now, Lidl Grocery stores in my area are selling some beautiful lush healthy hybrid teas, such as Doris Day and John F Kennedy, at 2/$35.

Old 05-02-2021, 07:36 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,422,760 times
I just bought some very nice roses from Heirloom Roses. They have a wide variety as well as English and David Austen roses, which are not available from Jackson Perkins. They're a bit more pricey, but the quality so far is excellent. The roses I received are beautiful and were packed with exceptional care.

Old 05-02-2021, 11:07 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Ive bought all mine from Sam’s Club....big healthy canes that have done beautifully. My only disappointment is that the most robust one is not fragrant. If this is important to you, read the description carefully.

Old 05-02-2021, 11:55 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I just bought some very nice roses from Heirloom Roses. They have a wide variety as well as English and David Austen roses, which are not available from Jackson Perkins. They're a bit more pricey, but the quality so far is excellent. The roses I received are beautiful and were packed with exceptional care.
I bought from Heirloom Roses in early April, but they said they won't ship until after June 21.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:02 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,395,814 times
High Country Roses has some in stock. I've ordered form them many times.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I have bought from them, but their stock sells out fast.

There should be roses at local nurseries. That’s where I’d gonow.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:47 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,767,854 times
Our little 'pod' of friends has been buying from 'Roses of Yesterday and Today' (Roses of Yesterday and Today ), since it was 'Tillotson's Roses', back in the eighties - even before we discovered 'The Antique Rose Emporium' ( https://antiqueroseemporium.com/ ).

The former was stocking rare old roses, when nobody else was. They're a lovely family, offering a wisely-edited collection of great roses - a good many of which are modern Hybrid Teas. The latter nursery has a bigger selection, and (I think) offer only own-root roses. Their Hybrid Teas are tried-and-true survivors - basically the VERY FEW which have been able, over many decades, to withstand the challenges and extremes of Texas' climate. The old fashioned Tea, 'Amazone' (https://antiqueroseemporium.com/products/amazone) looks mighty tempting, and seems to still be in-stock.

Another very interesting nursery is Rogue Valley Roses (https://roguevalleyroses.com/). We discovered them when we were moving to Oregon. We've been happy with their plants, and with their quirky selection of VERY rare roses (including some amazing creations by Paul Barden, like the rich coral-vermilion Won Fang Yon - https://roguevalleyroses.com/rose/won-fang-yon/ ).

Aptly-named 'Angel Gardens' offers resilient, easy-to-grow old favorites, organically-grown, and is a wonderful place to shop, since the business is centered around mentoring and training disabled veterans. https://angelgardens.com/

And, if you have a particular cultivar in mind, HelpMeFind, is probably the best source of information on who's offering it.
https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/plants.php

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 05-06-2021 at 10:13 PM..

Old 05-09-2021, 10:50 AM

690 posts, read 584,378 times
I go Father's Day weekend to Home Depot and always scoop a few up. They are generally on some sort of sale, and you can still find some beautiful colors.

Old 05-20-2021, 04:09 PM

1,353 posts, read 788,051 times
To all of you:
Thank you so much for this info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden