Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2021, 09:08 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,381,599 times

Advertisements

I'm working on getting my lawn in shape for next year when we intend to sell. The lawn looks better than it ever has (still a little work to do). I now how 5 yellow spots that appeared out of nowhere. The roots are still strong, no bugs found when I lifted one of the spots. I'm thinking some animal(s) urinated, we do have a few deer that travel in a small heard, but wouldn't I also see poop ?. I'm at a loss, so I scraped the area to loosen the soil, and dropped some seed. What do you think it might be, I'm a novice here in Connecticut.
Attached Thumbnails
UGH !.....my poor Lawn !-lawn-spots.jpg   UGH !.....my poor Lawn !-lawn-spots-1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 10:11 AM

74,155 posts, read 1,836,662 times
The first picture looks like dog pee, I get that in my back yard from out dog.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:04 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
There's this old wife's tale that spayed female pee is more damaging to grass than a male's, but it is partially a myth. Unless that particular dog has some major metabolic problem that affects the chemistry of their urine its not any different. Female dogs squat to pee so more urine floods that spot. Males tend to mark multiple more vertical spots so it tends to distribute it around more. And, if you don't even have a dog its from a visitor that will be attracted by the residual odor from a previous "visit" and they want to leave their own message. They tend to squat again nearby. So, you get a clumping of dead spots. Obviously, if you're lucky enough to catch the dog in the act you could run out with a hose and flood the grass to dilute the urine before it burns that patch of grass. By the time the grass dies the damage has been done. If the roots are OK, the damage is temporary. If your lawn isn't fenced urine spots are going to happen. I'd be surprised if anyone seriously interested in buying your property is going to change their mind because there's a visiting dog in the neighborhood.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-17-2021 at 02:26 PM..

Old 06-17-2021, 03:13 PM

83,525 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Urine. Could be wild animal. Dog, cat. Or someone snuck in on your lawn and spot sprayed a chemical there. lol
If you seen it happen you could dilute it with a ton of water but looks like it happened days/weeks ago.

Just rip it up and plant new seed. Cover with straw.

Old 06-19-2021, 06:39 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,381,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Urine. Could be wild animal. Dog, cat. Or someone snuck in on your lawn and spot sprayed a chemical there. lol
If you seen it happen you could dilute it with a ton of water but looks like it happened days/weeks ago.

Just rip it up and plant new seed. Cover with straw.
A buddy stopped over, said he tried, I think Lyme , or something to neutralize the soil, a light coat of Topsoil, and seed. He said it started to return, but died again. I guess I gotta get some Topsoil, dig it up about 3-4 inches deep, refill with topsoil and seed. Thanks for all the input.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:32 AM

307 posts, read 214,110 times
I have a dog and that definitely looks like dog urine.

Old 06-24-2021, 04:52 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
Agreed on dog, likely big dog. We have a big dog (100lb male lab), and we have a lot of wildlife in our area too that roam through our yard (deer, fox, drunk golfers). Only the dog can kill the grass like that. And it's when he hasn't peed in several hours (especially first thing in the morning). So, if you have a neighbor with a large dog, watch for early in the morning if they're walking the dog and letting him/her pee on the lawn. First pee is loaded with nitrogen and will roast the grass. That's our case anyway with our dog and our back yard. We've trained him to pee on the small rock garden instead when he goes out first thing in the morning. Otherwise he can pee on whatever and it rarely does any damage like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden