Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 04:18 PM

701 posts, read 694,047 times

Advertisements

I noticed today that there are white spots all over my crepe myrtle that I had cut a couple of years ago and let grow into a bush. What is these spots and how to I get rid of them? Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 05:58 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Fungus. Pick up some fungicide and spray them. Hot humid weather with wet damp soil is causing the problem.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:26 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
It's crepe myrtle bark scale. It infiltrated a few yrs back. It's a pest. I used Dominion tree and shrub as recommended by an arborist that checked out my crepe myrtle and found it just beginning.

Old 08-10-2021, 05:42 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
I'm with post # 3, it is scale, an insect, not a fungus as suggested.

How to combat scale.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-10-2021, 06:34 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Oil sprays are one way of combatting scale, but a systemic is probable most effective.

From LSU Ag Center:

Oils are also effective against aphids, whiteflies, spider mites and the crawler stage of scales, yet they are less harmful than other insecticides to beneficial predatory insects.

Oil sprays are best used when the temperature is between 45 and 85 degrees, and they should only be applied to plants that are not in stress. That’s one reason that the mild weather of spring is an excellent time to use them. Light, paraffinic oil, such as Year-Round spray oil and All Seasons spray oil, however, can be used during the summer.

An added benefit of oil sprays is that they also help clean the unsightly sooty mold from the plant. The sooty mold will not quickly disappear when the scale has been controlled, but as the food supply is exhausted the sooty mold will eventually weather off. Oil sprays help speed the process.

Systemic insecticides are another option for controlling scale. These insecticides are sprayed onto the plant or applied to its roots. The plant absorbs the insecticide into its tissue, and it gets into the plant’s circulatory system and into the sap. When the scale feed on the sap, they ingest the toxic insecticide and are killed.

Acephate, imidacloprid and dinotefuran are three commonly used systemic insecticides that are effective against scale. Treatment involves pouring the mixed insecticide at the base of the plant. Systemic insecticides provide an option for control when temperatures limit the use of an oil spray or when drenching around the base of the plant is more practical. Always read and follow label directions carefully when using any pesticide.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:44 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
I agree about the scale, I think that is either Crape Myrtle Bark Scale, or else what is known as Cottony Cushion Scale both are insects which can be mistaken for fungus.

https://thegoodearthgarden.com/contr...le-bark-scale/

Cottony Cushion Scale Management Guidelines--UC IPM

See other images of Cottony Cushion Scale: https://www.google.ca/search?q=Cotto...w=1120&bih=560

Or else it could be Mealy Bugs which looks very similar and is often mistaken for fungus/mildew on plants

See images of mealy bugs: https://www.google.ca/search?q=white...h=560&biw=1120

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-10-2021 at 11:28 AM..

Old 08-10-2021, 03:15 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times
Oh my… really need to get some form of a fungicide.

BIOADVANCED Insecticide Fungicide Miticide 3-in-1 Insect, Disease & Mite Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
I noticed today that there are white spots all over my crepe myrtle that I had cut a couple of years ago and let grow into a bush. What is these spots and how to I get rid of them? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-10-2021, 05:29 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Oh my… really need to get some form of a fungicide.

BIOADVANCED Insecticide Fungicide Miticide 3-in-1 Insect, Disease & Mite Control
No no no. That is not a fungus. It's an insect.

https://thegoodearthgarden.com/contr...le-bark-scale/

Old 08-10-2021, 05:48 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times
Recommend Systemic Insect Drench in the spring for various shrubs, perennials, etc.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:24 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Recommend Systemic Insect Drench in the spring for various shrubs, perennials, etc.
Can the OP use that right now instead of waiting for spring, because right now is when it is happening and causing serious damage.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden