Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 10:08 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,215,475 times

Advertisements

The North side of my house will not grow grass about 3' from the house. It only gets a little of afternoon sun. What shrubs could I plant there? I am in the NW corner of Arkansas less than a mile from Missouri. The shrubs would also need to be something the deer will not eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 10:20 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times
Hostas would work, although deer like hostas. BUT if you spray Bobbix, specifically formulated for deer, if will keep them away.

I use Bobbix for the bunnies in my yard, and it works great.

I would also suggest hydrangea...but I don't know how the deer like them. But...use Bobbix again. lol

Old 03-15-2022, 12:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I can attest that hostas are deer candy. When I lived in the woods, I saw an antlered deer full face in my kitchen window. He was munching on my prize hosta.

My advice is to contact a good local nursery for advice. If memory serves, when we lived in the MO woods, deer tended to avoid juniper and holly. But in a bad year for acorns, they would eat anything over the winter to avoid starvation

Once they learn where a good buffet is, they will return for years. So, spray deer repellant often to prevent them from eating your stuff.

Old 03-15-2022, 12:52 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I can attest that hostas are deer candy. When I lived in the woods, I saw an antlered deer full face in my kitchen window. He was munching on my prize hosta.

My advice is to contact a good local nursery for advice. If memory serves, when we lived in the MO woods, deer tended to avoid juniper and holly. But in a bad year for acorns, they would eat anything over the winter to avoid starvation

Once they learn where a good buffet is, they will return for years. So, spray deer repellant often to prevent them from eating your stuff.
Hey silibran, just out of curiosity, where did you live in Missouri? Just nosy and curious. :-) We have property close to Sullivan.

Old 03-15-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

I own the lot next to the North side of my house. I see 11+ deer out there several times a week. There are several acorn bearing oak trees on that lot.

Old 03-15-2022, 02:36 PM

640 posts, read 450,099 times
OP, don't plant anything within three feet from the house. Put some annuals in the planters if you must. The widespread practice of planting bushes right next to the house make houses look worse, not better. Google it.

Old 03-15-2022, 02:59 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
The North side of my house will not grow grass about 3' from the house. It only gets a little of afternoon sun. What shrubs could I plant there? I am in the NW corner of Arkansas less than a mile from Missouri. The shrubs would also need to be something the deer will not eat.
I got the same problem. North side of home doesn't get much sun. I got Rhodendrons to grow and a Nellie Stevens Holly Tree. Azaleas aren't doing much but surviving. Try Rhodo and Holly. Plenty of deer here and those bushes are never touched.

Old 03-15-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
OP, don't plant anything within three feet from the house. Put some annuals in the planters if you must. The widespread practice of planting bushes right next to the house make houses look worse, not better. Google it.
That side of the house has a good steep slope, so I want to reinforce it also. That part of the house is cinder block.

Old 03-15-2022, 04:09 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
I’ve had to cut back a maple tree due to the shade which has deprived my yews of sunlight. I have a similar set up in which I have a sidewalk next to the house bordered by landscaping that pitches down. I worry the bank will weaken as the yews weaken.

At times I want to tear most of the landscaping out around the house and start over with fresh, young plants.

Old 03-15-2022, 04:48 PM

7,345 posts, read 4,134,790 times
My new house will have a very shady side. I'm in Virginia. My best native plant/wildlife value options are:

Coralberry Can tolerate shade. Can get 2-5 high and 8 wide wide. Bloom Color: White in. Apr , May , Jun , Jul. Grown for its bright pink berries in winter. Important for song birds.

Clethra Ruby Slippers Its fragrant bottlebrush*flowers are a dark pink in late summer and early fall.; they attract hummingbirds, butterflies, bees, and other insects. Six/eight feet high and four feet wide.

Dwarf Fothergilla has white fragrant bottlebrush flowers in April and May and its fall foliage is yellow, orange and red. It is wet site tolerant, but also does well in dryer woodland sites. Three feet high and three feet wide.

'Annabelle' Smooth Hydrangea has dark green leaves and white snowball flowers in June and July. *Hydrangea arborescens 'Annabelle' is considered by many to be somewhat deer resistant!

Tiarella cordifolia, Foamflower, Easily grown in average, medium, well-drained soil in part shade to full shade. Prefers humus, organically rich, moisture-retentive soils. Soil should not be allowed to dry out. Wet soils, particularly in winter, can be fatal, however. Removal of flower spikes after bloom will improve the appearance of the foliage mound. Foliage is semi-evergreen. Shaded rock gardens, woodland gardens, border fronts, wild gardens, naturalistic plantings or moist areas along stream banks. Can be massed to form an attractive ground cover.

Merlot Sweetspire. Fragrant panicles of pure white flowers in early summer adorn slightly arching branches on a dense compact form. Expect a stunning seasonal display of deep wine-red fall foliage that persists into winter. Useful in borders or as an understory foundation shrub. Tolerates damp soils, naturalizing easily in a woodland setting. Attracts butterflies and beneficial insects. Does well in shade. Three Feet high with a four feet wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden