Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 05:15 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Speak of the devil, the proof's in the pudding. Woke up to this gent right outside the window:
Is that a young bull moose? Saw a video a few days ago of two huge adult males fighting (must be breeding season) and one of them wound up jumping into the bed of a pickup truck. Must've done quite a bit of damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 05:21 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
We’re sowing a cover crop of rye and some other stuff in our garden. We leave the corn stalks and other dead veggie plants up until spring to help hold moisture and snow.

And we buy 2-3 tons of pellets and store them in the garage for winter. I have a cord or two of wood saved up for the shop wood stove

Old 10-23-2022, 06:11 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Is that a young bull moose? Saw a video a few days ago of two huge adult males fighting (must be breeding season) and one of them wound up jumping into the bed of a pickup truck. Must've done quite a bit of damage.
Yes. Like other native NA deer, females don't produce antlers. Caribou are the exception. I'm certainly no expert but would estimate this guy is at least 2. Generally, antlers get more massive each year (the palms spread wider, beams get thicker, they start growing brow tines and points along the edges of the palms, etc) assuming they're in good condition and the antler pedicel hasn't been damaged.

Old 10-23-2022, 06:56 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,333,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I bring my hoses into the garage. I simply take them off the faucet, then stretch them out with one end higher than the other. They'll fully drain that way. Then I coil them and bring them inside, and put the foam covers over the faucets. I do all my faucets, even the one that's a freeze plug one.
I drained one of my hoses over this weekend and rolled it up. I have one longer one to go. If I were staying here, I would put the faucet covers on sometime in November depending on how cold it became. Some Winters we do not get very cold weather before Christmas.

I moved a bunch of my hardscape stones to the courtyard tonight and hosed them down. We have rain in the forecast for the next two days, so I am sure I will have to hose them down again before taking them to storage. I shall miss this place. I really made it my home. Thought I would be here for the rest of my life. Just goes to show the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.....

Old 10-23-2022, 09:50 PM

56 posts, read 43,286 times
snowblower

Old 10-25-2022, 05:19 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
Cambium, you have this down to a science!

I do not do all that you do, but I do not have the wherewithal to do it, e.g. taking down the screen door and putting up a storm door (storm doors are essential in many parts of the country, too), and adding insulation. Wish I had security cameras outside, too. Wish I had someone like you to help me do all of this! Thank you for reminding me that the old motor needs an oil change. I tend to forget because I drive so little anymore.

Do you have any birdbaths that are too big and heavy to move inside? If so, do you wrap them for the Winter with some sort of insulating material? Do you provide some sort of water station for the birds during the Winter?
We have one large concrete birdbath near 2 of our bird feeders. We have a smaller one near our patio that the finch seem to prefer.
We keep water for the birds year round and have never had an issue with cracking due to ice forming.
On the coldest days I may have to wait several hours before I can dump the ice and add new water.

Old 10-25-2022, 08:03 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,333,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
We have one large concrete birdbath near 2 of our bird feeders. We have a smaller one near our patio that the finch seem to prefer.
We keep water for the birds year round and have never had an issue with cracking due to ice forming.
On the coldest days I may have to wait several hours before I can dump the ice and add new water.
I saw some small, heated bird baths on Amazon that I thought looked good for Winter to help the birds always have water available. The only reason I have not bought one is because I am relocating, and I do not yet know what will work in the new place which only has a small, upstairs balcony instead of a yard or large downstairs porch.

Old 10-28-2022, 04:24 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Not much. I bring in my potted plants, and disconnect the hoses from the faucets. I leave the hoses right where they hang. Mine are several years old and have never had any problems. I try to remember to run out the gas in the trimmer. That's about it. I do have a few ceramic pots that I need to bring inside - I'll probably just stash them in the shed this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden