Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2023, 11:11 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

The snow is deep on the ground, but it is time to start the tomato plants inside. I've sent in my order for veggie seeds. I'm buying from a new-to-me source, so I hope the seeds are good. I've received my notice that they have been shipped, so at least they have sent me something in exchange for my money.

I've been having problems finding things that grow in my area with the cold and the short growing season. One of the neighbors seems to get corn, so I ordered a short season corn that is rumored to do well in colder areas and a short season pumpkin that is touted as a good flavored cooking pumpkin

Ambrosia hybrid corn and Jarradale pumpkin, both new varieties to me and from Trueleaf Market, a new seed source for me. I'm trying Trueleaf because they have a good selection and decent price on petunia seeds. So, fingers crossed. Its a small order, so I can't lose much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2023, 11:25 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
My problem is the opposite. I have to start seeds this week for cold season and HOPE that the hot weather doesn't hit early. So many of the things I like to eat like cold feet, such as carrots and parsnips.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:41 AM

19,750 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The snow is deep on the ground, but it is time to start the tomato plants inside. I've sent in my order for veggie seeds. I'm buying from a new-to-me source, so I hope the seeds are good. I've received my notice that they have been shipped, so at least they have sent me something in exchange for my money.

I've been having problems finding things that grow in my area with the cold and the short growing season. One of the neighbors seems to get corn, so I ordered a short season corn that is rumored to do well in colder areas and a short season pumpkin that is touted as a good flavored cooking pumpkin

Ambrosia hybrid corn and Jarradale pumpkin, both new varieties to me and from Trueleaf Market, a new seed source for me. I'm trying Trueleaf because they have a good selection and decent price on petunia seeds. So, fingers crossed. Its a small order, so I can't lose much.
A number of years ago back in WV I grew 3 varieties on a 1 acre plot at our church. SilverQueen, Peaches & Cream and Ambrosia.

Ambrosia was by far the most delicious corn I've ever had- and everyone agreed. I wish I could grow it here but our season is too short.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:48 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
........ I wish I could grow it here but our season is too short.
We will get some heat in the summer but not for very long. The corn and pumpkins like warm soil to germinate and don't like to be started indoors and transferred. I put black plastic down where I intend to plant and that warms the soil enough to germinate squash. I haven't tried it with corn, yet, so hope it works.

At least I have a spot that will get a lot of sun in the summer. The Ambrosia is supposed to grow and ripen a lot quicker than most other varieties of corn, but even so, it takes a long time. It will be a race and a lot will depend on fall weather. Sometimes snow isn't until December and this last fall, we had snow the first of October.

I'm trying to grow fruit trees, but it is too early to know if I will get fruit.

Old 01-31-2023, 12:34 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,654,259 times
We've tried a few varieties here and found the Northern Hybrid is consistent. However the days to maturity is misleading. For the NH Extra Sweet hybrid they claim 67days. Well that's in optimum conditions. It takes over 90 days here- and that is based on 3 full growing seasons with that type. We planted seeds pretty faithfully on June 1 and usually picking in early September or so.

It is good corn, but not anywhere in the same league as Ambrosia. I hope it works out for you because you'll be really surprised just how awesome tasting it is! We picked a truckload off that one acre patch and my kids were shucking and eating it fresh off the stalk, lol.

Old 01-31-2023, 01:06 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
The snow is deep on the ground, but it is time to start the tomato plants inside.
How's your sun scenario? You might need to find a spot that is full sun to get you as much growing as possible.

Quote:
I've been having problems finding things that grow in my area with the cold and the short growing season..
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
My problem is the opposite. I have to start seeds this week for cold season and HOPE that the hot weather doesn't hit early.
My problem is the opposite opposite (such a thing? lol) I get extended winters into April, 1 month of spring, then hot humid weather hits fast. Cool weather crops do horrible in Spring, can't plant them early cause of the cold, then they bolt because of the quick heat.

Old 02-01-2023, 03:36 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,097,533 times
I'm surprised you're already starting your tomatoes, I'm going to wait another month at least, and my season is longer.

I suspect there should be varieties of root vegetables and brassicas that should grow well enough through the Idaho summers? They'll probably need good watering though. Cucurbits should do ok too I think. I haven't really had any issues transplanting them, just need to start them in larger containers (roughly pint sized) and be ready to transplant them after 4 weeks. Pumpkins and winter squash take the longest to mature but summer squash, cucumbers, even melons should do well, those all mature before my butternut squash here. Direct sown beans should do great too provided you have protection from rabbits and deer.

Old 02-01-2023, 07:36 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,032,631 times
oregonwoodsmoke

Have you ever called or checked online for the Idaho Co-op Extension? They will know which seeds and plants do well in your area.
Here's a link for your state: https://pickyourown.org/countyextens...offices-ID.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden