Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 01:33 AM

56 posts, read 43,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Also, if you have a smaller property, an electric powered mower may be fine. If it is larger and the battery won't last or the cord won't reach, you kind of have to go with gas powered.
Yes, this is one of the disadvantages of the electric mower, the durability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2023, 06:10 AM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The manufacturing and sourcing of materials for the batteries themselves are not as friendly, but the comparisons become better if the battery is used for a longer number of years. 10-20 years of using the same battery for a lawnmower is still much more environmentally friendly than using a gas powered mower without the emissions controls of a larger ICE device.
Have you had an electric mover in use for 20 years with the same battery?

Old 03-01-2023, 07:43 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Have you had an electric mover in use for 20 years with the same battery?
Not yet, I've had my current mower since 2019 with zero issues. I sure wasn't going to buy a new gas powered mower at the time considering the cost of the new electric one was less.

Old 03-01-2023, 04:14 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,204,944 times
No man.....we're all about a gas-guzzling push mower and Cub Cadet zero-radius riding mower. I love having a beer and going out on that puppy, making 'crop circles.' Drives my husband crazy!

Old 03-02-2023, 09:18 AM

6,012 posts, read 2,836,906 times
From an environmental standpoint, neither a gas-powered mower, nor an electric mower are environmentally friendly.

A reel mower would be the most environmentally friendly.

Old 03-02-2023, 10:44 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
From an environmental standpoint, neither a gas-powered mower, nor an electric mower are environmentally friendly.

A reel mower would be the most environmentally friendly.
Or sheep, goats...

Old 03-02-2023, 10:54 AM

3,068 posts, read 2,396,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karleezer View Post
I used a corded version for many years for mowing my current home's small yard. When that mower failed, I chose to go with a Fiskars reel mower, which I like better, particularly because I can use it early in the morning when my yard is shaded and the temperature is more comfortable without disturbing my neighbors. It's easy to push and takes up less room in the garage, too.
I used to have one of those. I didn't like it because it didn't cut grass seed stems and it was very hard to push through grass over about 4" tall. The lawn always looked like goats chewed it.

I have a battery-powered mower now for my little yard. It's easier to mow and it makes my lawn look neat and trim.

Old 03-02-2023, 03:38 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,018,750 times
I have had & used my black & decker electric lawnmower for over 20 years. It gets the job done & it is quiet compared to gas plus it still runs great.

Old 03-02-2023, 08:37 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,396,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karleezer View Post
I do need to mow often to ensure the grass doesn't get so high that the mower is ineffective, but I really like the Fiskars version. It's quite nice and does a great job on my lawn. It gets hot here in Colorado during high summer, so being able to mow at daybreak without disturbing my neighbors is wonderful.
Lawn doesn't grow in Colorado like it does in here in Indiana.

Old 03-04-2023, 06:38 AM

13 posts, read 42,948 times
I have a battery-powered Ryobi lawn mower that is light-weight and sufficient for a one acre yard, though it takes 3 full charges to finish the work if one doesn't let the grass get too high. Folds up, fits in a car trunk, and I can lift it with one hand. YMMV.

PS: The same batteries can be used in the Ryobi chainsaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden