Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 05:58 AM

4,859 posts, read 450,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Always the skeptic, I really got a chuckle out of this one on the GardenSmart TV show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rZ5hfYtIlc

A half hour interview & garden tour with a lady who advocates growing veggies in conrtainers. She recommends large containers (20 gal +), easily costing $100 or more each, and using only potting soil (cost $50+ for 20 gal) and a trellis (cost $20+) all to grow just one or two plants...At one point she brags smuggly that basil costs $4 a bag in the store, but a whole basil plant costs only $3. "And how many bags do we have from this plant?" she asks rhetorically...Well, I got news for you, honey-- not $180 worth.

I feel sorry for urban cliff dwellers like Oliver Wendall Douglas whose backyard is just a small balcony 30 stories up. Is it worth it to bother with a coulple veggie plants that give you a harvest of just a couple servings a year?
We have a tiny apartment porch. No frost, no winter. We can plant anytime. We have okra, jalapenos and some decorative greens plus flowers: nasturtiums and marigolds. Fun. And the nasturtiums are totally edible: leaves, stems and flowers. The main stalks can be grated and used as a spice. Rather acrid. I've not used the stalks yet. I make salads. Our pots are rather ordinary. Nothing gigantic. The marigolds are "French Red Metamorph." Striking, stunning colors. Deep burgundy, but bright, at the same time. Golden center.
From some website I just found:
"French marigolds are edible, but with a very strong flavor similar to its pungent scent..."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2023, 12:16 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,091,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
Just thought easier to control weeds. Better soil deeper for root development. Some water stays close to the roots instead of draining away. Roots dont compete with other plants. Better soil temperature, End of season I can put the soil back into the compost box to rejuvenate before next year.

Seemed like a good, or decent idea but will see later in the summer.
Squash typically don't need much help controlling weeds, they just smother everything that tries to compete with them with their huge leaves. Tomatoes need barely more help, and if you use mulch, that'll cut down the amount of weeds from a little to just about nothing.

I find that containers dry out faster, due to getting warmer, and due to restricting the roots to the size of the container, which means the plant draws its water from that small area instead of spreading out and drawing water from deeper and further away. If the container has no holes, maybe it stays moist longer but it also increases the risk of the bottom of the container getting water logged and causing diseases. I've had blossom end rot issues more often with container tomatoes than in-ground tomatoes, and blossom end rot is mostly an issue of inconsistent soil moisture. The depth of the soil in the container is typically less too - limited to the depth of the container, whereas in ground the roots can go as deep as they want.

Soil temperature is maybe an advantage, but even then I'm not 100% sure. Containers will see the soil warm up faster during the day, but it will also cool faster at night, so I'm not sure if it's a net positive. On the first cool fall night we had here (36F low) the soil in my containers dropped to 43F compared to 55F for my in ground beds. A lot of vegetables get stressed by cold soil and the leaves on my container peppers were looking rather droopy until I emptied some buckets of hot water from the kitchen into their soil which raised the soil temperature to 65F.

The biggest advantages of containers for me are

-restricting growth of plants that can get invasive (but otherwise desirable) like mint
-growing plants you want to overwinter indoors (ex figs, peppers, passion flower)
-making use of sunny spots on driveways, decks, patios, or maybe locations where the soil is filled with construction rubble or contaminated so you can't really plant in-ground

Old 03-29-2023, 02:01 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I find that containers dry out faster, due to getting warmer,
Yup, pots dry out MUCH faster and will require more water and constant keeping an eye out. Drip line on a timer may be beneficial with pots

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Soil temperature is maybe an advantage, but even then I'm not 100% sure. Containers will see the soil warm up faster during the day, but it will also cool faster at night, so I'm not sure if it's a net positive. On the first cool fall night we had here (36F low) the soil in my containers dropped to 43F compared to 55F for my in ground beds.
YUP! Potting soil temp drops faster than in ground AND rises higher as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
Just thought easier to control weeds. Better soil deeper for root development. Some water stays close to the roots instead of draining away. Roots dont compete with other plants. Better soil temperature, End of season I can put the soil back into the compost box to rejuvenate before next year.

Pots have shallower root development, Roots will be restricted to depth and width
Water will not stay close to roots because of heat from pots, most will evaporate
Roots don't compete with other plants in ground if they are spaced out correctly
Pots have worse soil temperature in summer
End of season you may not be able to put soil back because it could be one big rootbound ball.

Old 03-30-2023, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup, pots dry out MUCH faster and will require more water and constant keeping an eye out. Drip line on a timer may be beneficial with pots

YUP! Potting soil temp drops faster than in ground AND rises higher as well.

Pots have shallower root development, Roots will be restricted to depth and width
Water will not stay close to roots because of heat from pots, most will evaporate
Roots don't compete with other plants in ground if they are spaced out correctly
Pots have worse soil temperature in summer
End of season you may not be able to put soil back because it could be one big rootbound ball.
Thanks for the tips!

Old 03-30-2023, 07:34 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
We have a tiny apartment porch. No frost, no winter. We can plant anytime. We have okra,
What variety of okra do you grow? Mine gets 6+ feet tall.

Old 03-30-2023, 09:12 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,091,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Even in my significantly cooler and shorter season I've had 6-8ft tall okra. Clemson Spineless, White Velvet, Burgundy and Jing Orange have all done well for me. I've also tried Jambalaya but it didn't grow or fruit as much, maybe it needs more fertilizer than the other varieties?

Old 03-30-2023, 09:55 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
If you happen to have a small yard and can plant some in ground, I found a good space saver for pole beans. I planted them around the legs of our swing set frame. On the cross piece on each side, I ran a piece of string to the ground so one of the vines could grow up that way. Had plenty of beans and didn't have to get on hands and knees to pick.

Old 03-30-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. We had some nice tall ones last year. Dead now. I think the hot air blowing out onto the porch from the A/C killed them. The damage was done before we could even see it. Killed the Caladium, too.

Caladium:

Old 03-30-2023, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
True. And then you will use the same containers for years to come - spread the cost over the years. The soil? You don't have to replace it all - add new soil just in the area where you place the plant.

The taste of a home grown tomato makes up for all that!
https://youtu.be/9tj4wIKMqEE

There's only two things that money can't buy.....

Old 03-30-2023, 08:42 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. We had some nice tall ones last year. Dead now. I think the hot air blowing out onto the porch from the A/C killed them. The damage was done before we could even see it. Killed the Caladium, too.

Caladium:
I'm sorry that happened to you and I sympathize. I discovered during the last two summers of heat waves here that the hot exhaust vented from A/C's will kill any outdoor plantings within 30 to 40 feet of the exhaust.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden