Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2023, 07:55 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times

Advertisements

I'm off for 10 days to visit an old friend and didn't want to leave my Hubs in charge of seeds/seedlings under a grow light. So that means I won't even be starting my seeds until 4/15. I live in a Zone 3/4 area of VT with a last projected frost date of 5/25. Not happy about being late my first real year of trying a raised bed, and starting seeds inside, but it is what it is.

My gardener neighbor starts her plants indoors, hardens them off, and puts her seedlings into the garden on 5/15 each year (she is very experienced).

My question is.....once I get back and get these seeds growing, and since it will likely be warm enough to put them out once they get going, would I still need to transplant the seedlings into bigger pots BEFORE putting them out, to let them get larger, stronger roots, OR, if frost danger has passed, would it be acceptable to plant the smaller seedlings right into the raised bed?

TIA very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 08:15 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times
You should be fine as you would start your seedlings fast and furious.

Unless your gardener neighbor has a very specific microclimate it seems that put out seedlings into the garden on May 15 in your climate zone - is too early.
This is if she is growing warm season vegetables like tomatoes? Peppers? What else? The rest must be sown into the garden directly - cucumbers, squashes, corn, watermelons, etc.
All of the above require a warm - 65, not less than 60 degree soil temperature at the depth of 4-6”.

https://www.greencastonline.com/tools/soil-temperature

You could just use oven thermometer which has full temperature scale - less expensive than soil thermometer - those just have a longer probe. Make a hole with the pencil, branch, etc and insert the thermometer to the depth of roots zone

It doesn’t matter if it is 90 degrees for days outside - if your soil is cold the earlier planted out seedlings just sulk, not grow really and could get ravaged by pests(they won’t be able to mount chemical defense against them) and diseases.

In addition - the soil could be too wet - the young roots won’t have enough air in their root zone

The same link will tell you your soil moisture levels - 25% is ideal

Even smaller by size seedlings will catch up to those planted in cooler soil - don’t worry.
You could plant your seeds right before you leave: it may take them 10 day to just sprout - depending on the age of seeds and you will be back to look after them

You don’t need to transplant them into a bigger pot - if the soil is warm - they will grow fast and won’t have to suffer transplant shock as the big seedlings with a large root system. You still need to harden them or cover with the the light shade cloth when planting out - the sun and winds are very intense for them

If you need cabbages seedlings - including broccoli, Brussels sprouts - you could buy a few at the farm stand or even Walmart?
Don’t forget to plant those very firmly into a sweet soil - they will have trouble forming heads otherwise

They too just do better planted in the garden directly at an appropriate timing - in your climate planting in time for fall could be better than spring - the summer heat and intense sun could make them bolt.

Last edited by L00k4ward; 03-28-2023 at 08:45 AM..

Old 03-28-2023, 09:17 AM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I'm off for 10 days to visit an old friend and didn't want to leave my Hubs in charge of seeds/seedlings under a grow light. So that means I won't even be starting my seeds until 4/15. I live in a Zone 3/4 area of VT with a last projected frost date of 5/25. Not happy about being late my first real year of trying a raised bed, and starting seeds inside, but it is what it is.

My gardener neighbor starts her plants indoors, hardens them off, and puts her seedlings into the garden on 5/15 each year (she is very experienced).

My question is.....once I get back and get these seeds growing, and since it will likely be warm enough to put them out once they get going, would I still need to transplant the seedlings into bigger pots BEFORE putting them out, to let them get larger, stronger roots, OR, if frost danger has passed, would it be acceptable to plant the smaller seedlings right into the raised bed?
Don't sweat the late start, you'll be fine and come summer when things are booming and you're harvesting, you'll forget it was a late start.

As far as potting up... It really depends on what you're growing and if its staying warm consistently in the room.

If you are planting seeds April 8th... Tomatoes grow fast and should get potted up by May 8th, start hardening them off May 20th for a week or two then put in ground end of May/early June.

Peppers can stay in their little cells.

Solution would be to start all the seeds in cups, this way you don't have to pot up. Plant a couple seeds per cup to make sure you get something to germinate, remove one of them if they both do

Old 03-28-2023, 10:56 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Thanks to you both, Look4ward and Cambium. Appreciate you taking the time to share valuable advice for this beginner. (well, I've gardened before but never very successfully and this is my first year with a raised bed).

My neighbor has already started her seeds but she has been doing this for 10 years now and has a very successful garden. I don't recall her mentioning if she's ever varied her 5/15 date (that's her B-day ) but I'd bet if she knew there was a frost, she would wait. She may also cover them if needed when they first go out, but I'm not sure. She helped me with lots of set up info, how to make the garden, how she starts her seeds, etc.

Look4ward....thanks for the tip on the soil thermometer. Some of the recommended tools are expensive and I try to modify when I can. I've spent some money on a couple of very well made garden tools so I don't have to replace cheap ones should they fall apart. My bed is 2 ft deep and is filled with compost (same as neighbors) and I was indeed wondering how I would know if the soil temp was appropriate. Knowing now to go down to at least the depth of the roots of whatever I'm planting is helpful. I will check out the link you shared!

I'm growing basic 'salad' veggies: lettuces, arugula, cucumber, radishes, carrots, spinach, and then tomatillos, tomatoes (which I usually grow from a start in buckets and haven't tried to grow from seed until now). Also cilantro and basil. I'm using a book called the Vegetable Gardener's Bible by Edward Smith. He lives in VT. The book is chock full of info and I will re-read the seed starting section. I am aware that a few of my veggies can be started directly outside.

Cambium - you're right...so I'll be late. It's my first year and I'll probably (but hopefully not) make bigger 'mistakes' than being late. Clearly soil and air temperature are of paramount importance for planting outside and I need to make sure I stay within the guidelines of what each plant needs. And I would rather be late than get in a kerfuffle with Hubs if something goes south with the seeds. Probably not, but anytime I can avoid an argument........!

Thank you both again for the guidance. I will let you know how I make out.

Old 03-28-2023, 12:14 PM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Yes, keep us posted. It's better starting late than transplanting too early.

May 2013 I planted a week before our safe date and ended up having to cover the pepper plants because it dipped into the 30s.

Then May 2015 again late cold snap. I learned to be patient

While May cold mostly stunts growth instead of kills, its the time when you don't want to take chances. If they die starting from seeds in May is pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden