Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 03:21 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Thanks to all who suggested "blossom end rot" to be the problem. Lack of calcium looks to be the culprit. Quite inadvertently the plants were being watered with a water source that was conditioned to remove lime. Anyway, I now know what I have to do correct it. Unfortunately too late for the more matured fruit.

Thanks, all.
You'll still get more tomatoes. I got this last year, sprayed the leaves of the plants with a water/calcium chloride mix several times, spread out over a month, and got plenty of good tomatoes afterwards...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 07:36 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Crush eggshells and bury them a few inches deep around each tomato plant. You'll never have a problem with blossom end rot again.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,621 times
Red face rotting tomatoes on the vine

I'm growing tomatoes in one of the new upside down pots. But they seem to be rotting when they get a decent size. Am I over watering them? I'm trying to keep them moist at all times. The pots hold alot of soil, and I test for moisture with a tool. But the roots are on the bottom of the pot. Any ideas?

Old 07-22-2008, 07:27 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Overwatering with heavy soils is my guess.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:58 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Crush eggshells and bury them a few inches deep around each tomato plant. You'll never have a problem with blossom end rot again.
Thanks for the great advice Ohiogirl!

Just planted a couple of tomato plants and will put some crushed eggshells into the soil. Do you know if this would work for roses also?

One more question if I may, does anyone know why tomatoes turn kind of woody, or slightly mushy inside? This is what happened to the last ones.

Thanks!

Old 08-18-2009, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 9,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Could be any number of things. Have you gotten a lot of rain lately? Then it could possibly be Black Mold caused by the moisture.

Hi Alleycat,
I am having the same problem with my tomatoes. I have dozens of tomatoes, but i have already 8 that were rotten on the bottom. The plants look droopy, so i water them more often. What can be done about this problem or was it caused from too much rain?

Old 08-18-2009, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 9,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Thanks for the great advice Ohiogirl!

Just planted a couple of tomato plants and will put some crushed eggshells into the soil. Do you know if this would work for roses also?

One more question if I may, does anyone know why tomatoes turn kind of woody, or slightly mushy inside? This is what happened to the last ones.

Thanks!
I am going to try that too-with the egg shells.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:51 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,538,229 times
Using egg shells can't guarantee BER isn't a problem. You can have more than enough calcium in the soil but if the water conditions aren't right the plants can't take up the calcium. Control the water - not too much, not too little, and you'll probably avoid BER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden