Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you grow Onions?
Yes 10 71.43%
No - I never did 2 14.29%
No - not anymore, I used to grow them 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 07:59 PM

24,725 posts, read 11,055,349 times

Advertisements

SO tried seeds. Our growing season is not long enough in OK. Sets or tiny bulbs do well. /they get somewhat mean as far as heat/spice is concerned:>)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM

7,314 posts, read 5,196,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
I have tried to grow from sets for years. Never much luck getting large ones. I think I plant them too deep.
Threestep has it right-- season too short up north..,.Try starting sets first yr, dig 'em up and save them to replant for a second growing season.

Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM

4,193 posts, read 3,415,911 times
Green onions—-the gift that keeps on giving.

We grew the other kind in the past but now need the space for tomatoes.

Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM

52,792 posts, read 34,678,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Green onions—-the gift that keeps on giving.

We grew the other kind in the past but now need the space for tomatoes.
not exactly green onions, but related - has anyone tried growing leeks?

Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM

83,589 posts, read 75,571,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Threestep has it right-- season too short up north..,.Try starting sets first yr, dig 'em up and save them to replant for a second growing season.
So you mean replant the whole onion? Hmmm, I actually never tried that. Will they last 9 months to put in ground in April?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Last year we didn't plant a lot but here's what we got-

All around a solid medium size
Nice! 2016 was when I had a few tennis ball size harvests from sets. I looked back and we had a warm and dry June. Makes sense. It's just constantly wet recent years making it hard for onions.

Edit... Looking back at my thread from 2014, I just learned something! I love looking back! Compost soil helped the onions! I haven't used compost on them in years. Whoa!

Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

The ones from little dry onions have nice green. Time to pull out every other one and make room for the bulbs.

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Last year we didn't plant a lot but here's what we got-

All around a solid medium size
Braid them to bundles using the green.

Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

19,873 posts, read 22,770,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Braid them to bundles using the green.
My wife uses mesh produce 'socks' and hangs the up in the garage. You can slide them out of the bottom one onion at a time.

Generally we use all of them making canned goods like chili, stew, sauces etc. We hardly overwinter any onions raw.

Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM

7,314 posts, read 5,196,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
So you mean replant the whole onion? Hmmm, I actually never tried that. Will they last 9 months to put in ground in April?

!
Yes. I plant the mothball sized sets.,..zBy late summer when they turn brown they're only ping pong ball size here in WI.... Dig them up and dry them as you would use all winter, but save them in a dark place and plant them again the next spring...By the next harvest time they're tennis ball size....

Start another round from sets the second year also so you always have one harvest for eating and one for replanting.

Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM

19,873 posts, read 22,770,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah it's not as simple as said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLh97YH8HR4

Just pick the right variety for your area. We experimented with 3 varieties, and the third time was the charm. Patterson variety a long day onion.

Last edited by Threerun; Yesterday at 02:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden