Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:55 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,316,688 times

Advertisements

My zucchini plant was doing great, producing lots of squash then it just died. It started looking a little wilted in the morning, then by afternoon it was completely dead.

The yellow squash next to it is as healthy as ever, and the eggplants on the other side are doing great too.

Of course this year we only planted ONE plant since we usually have 300 pounds of extra zucchini we try to give away.

Anyone else have problems like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 07:09 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,277,733 times
Yes. Dig up and inspect the roots for a peek at animal,insect or fungal damage, look on the leaves for parasites, smell the soil for animal urine. Ive burned plants to death before with fertilization. That kills them really fast. Do you think you did that?

Now you know since the plant died everyone is going to be asking for the zucchini this year that you couldnt give away last year.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:00 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,316,688 times
I don't think I over fed them. I looked at the leaves and they were very shiny and looked great. The eggplant had a little white fly, but very few, and I didn't see any on the zucchini. There are some odd white thingies (very technical term) on the base of the plants. I'm going to dig it up tomorrow and I'll take a look at the roots.

I have a little wire fence around the veggies, and the dogs seem to keep away from them anyway - I don't think it's THAT.
Thanks

Old 06-30-2008, 10:47 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,020,820 times
I'm having a devil of a time keeping my two zucchini plants alive, as well. They were growing and flowering and then they started looking off. They're still alive but they're certainly not thriving. No insect nibbles or damage, no lack of water or nutrients, everything else around them is growing great. I don't get it, either.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:50 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,281,218 times
My neighbor's cat peed on my zucchini, and now it's dead .....not the cat, the zucchini

Old 07-01-2008, 12:59 AM

44,644 posts, read 61,677,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
My zucchini plant was doing great, producing lots of squash then it just died. It started looking a little wilted in the morning, then by afternoon it was completely dead.

The yellow squash next to it is as healthy as ever, and the eggplants on the other side are doing great too.

Of course this year we only planted ONE plant since we usually have 300 pounds of extra zucchini we try to give away.

Anyone else have problems like this?
You may want to check out this site for info on zucchini.
The Gardener's Network - Vegetable Gardening: How to Grow Zucchini Squash, Zucchini Seeds

Old 07-01-2008, 02:36 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,734,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I'm having a devil of a time keeping my two zucchini plants alive, as well. They were growing and flowering and then they started looking off. They're still alive but they're certainly not thriving. No insect nibbles or damage, no lack of water or nutrients, everything else around them is growing great. I don't get it, either.

Squash bugs kill a lot of zucchini plants in Texas. A plant that looked fine a couple of days ago wilts and dies in no time. They attack all kinds of squashes besides zucchini.

VegEdge: Squash Bug

Old 07-01-2008, 07:33 AM

23,608 posts, read 70,485,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Squash bugs kill a lot of zucchini plants in Texas. A plant that looked fine a couple of days ago wilts and dies in no time. They attack all kinds of squashes besides zucchini.

VegEdge: Squash Bug
Yeah, I just nailed four breeders on my squash and pumpkins. We had problems last year, so Sevin every seventh day for us until harvest. Thanks for that link, I had thought they were stinkbugs.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:27 AM

41,990 posts, read 75,271,349 times
Squash bugs are evil.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:43 AM

78,505 posts, read 60,702,401 times
I have had problems with bugs eating up the root and also with my soil being too heavily basic. (Fruit would rot out early on). Bug killer and lime have helped a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden