Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 07:25 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,397,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Why not compost? A thick layer of compost will do everything you need it to do and more. Some of the most beautiful gardens in the world use compost for mulch.
I usually put the compost , which is really already broken down mulch, just underneath a beautiful layer of decorative mulch. The idea is that the mulch should be decorative and good looking while providing a barrier for weed growth and soil moisture retention and shade for cool plant roots.

It's simply a matter of copying nature. All mulches will however turn into compost slowly. But attractive mulches are added as needed to keep up the good look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 07:54 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,155,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Why not compost? A thick layer of compost will do everything you need it to do and more. Some of the most beautiful gardens in the world use compost for mulch.
Leaf mulch is also available here at the landfill. The only problem is that if it was from leaves collected this past fall, it's not broken down enough to really work its way into the soil yet. Still, I put it out, and it holds more water than the shredded mulch which I place on top to keep it from looking so ugly. It's a pain to pick out the trash too. But it's free.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:10 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Great ideas here!!!
I have started a compost with my rabbits droppings, leaves, and produce
waste from the kitchen.
I like the idea of speading some of that mixed with coffee grounds , then a top layer of decorative mulch. I am going to check into the cocoa bean mulch !!

Does anyone know if the coffee grounds can go straight on the planting bed or do they have to compost first??

Old 07-05-2008, 12:12 PM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Great ideas here!!!
I have started a compost with my rabbits droppings, leaves, and produce
waste from the kitchen.
I like the idea of speading some of that mixed with coffee grounds , then a top layer of decorative mulch. I am going to check into the cocoa bean mulch !!

Does anyone know if the coffee grounds can go straight on the planting bed or do they have to compost first??
They don't have to compost first, I used to dump mine and the ones from work directly onto the soil, they tended to get mixed in with the top layer as i hoed and cultivated in the garden. They give the soil a nice texture....is the word tith??????

Coffee grounds spread on the soil are supposed to deter slugs.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:19 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
They don't have to compost first, I used to dump mine and the ones from work directly onto the soil, they tended to get mixed in with the top layer as i hoed and cultivated in the garden. They give the soil a nice texture....is the word tith??????

Coffee grounds spread on the soil are supposed to deter slugs.

We do have a slug problem so that is good.

I just started looking up the cocoa bean mulch and found a warning about using it around dogs. The article said it has theobromine in it which is the ingredient in chocolate that is dangerous to dogs. It said some dogs will smell and eat it and others will not.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:24 PM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
I must be odd because I didnt like the cocoa mulch; except I did appreciate its light weight when transporting it. It does get a crustiness to it...after its in place and wet....I think it supports a mold or something that solidifies it. I liked the smell but my downstairs neighbor did not!!!! I didnt like the appearance after it got wet and that ...whatever it was started happening. My dog showed no interest in it.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:01 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,177 times
Default kelly237

...as to your question about using a high nitrogen fertilizer to replenish what the "green" material in your mulch has stolen from the soil,..id recomend it..if you're noticing stunted of "sickly' looking plants in areas where the material was applied...even use of composted material such as manure..or any natural source which will release the nitrogen slowly..will help ballance the needs of the plants as well as the green material as it breaks down...
..as for the suggestions for coca bean husks....really good stuff...i use it in my soil mixes for plumerias and desert roses as organic material...
the only thing id caution you on is that if you have dogs...try to keep them from trying to eat the mulch because ive been told by other landscapers and master gardeners that is can be toxic to them...
..as for the coffie grounds...they are an excellent soil additive..and help to build soil which has been depleated....

Old 07-12-2008, 12:37 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
In all of my experiences, any mulch I put down in sunny spots faded to gray. I favor good old fashioned pine straw, myself. I find it holds together very, very well, and it doesn't seem to float away when a puddle develops near one if your beds.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:22 AM

9,721 posts, read 14,260,591 times
I caught on to lasagna mulching/gardening (sometimes called Sheet Mulching) 3-4 years ago, and it's great! This is what I do, in layers....
black/white newspapers 4-5 pages thick.....put them in place then wet them down, then add leaves and/or pine needles....water again, then sprinkle garden soil. I top with nice black shredded mulch and it doesn't take very much. Sometimes, if I have some left over peat moss I throw that in there. I haven't had any weeds in my flower beds since, and I have lots of beds. I've been told you have to repeat this every 4-5 years, because the paper and leaves break down.

Here's a link for lasagna gardening, which explains the mulching a little better. But, I don't do the lasagna "gardening" as outlined in this article. You have to layer up to 2' tall for that. I'm just in to killing off weeds
http://www.easybalconygardening.com/lasagnagardening.php (broken link)

Last edited by rdlr; 07-12-2008 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden