Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 11:07 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times

Advertisements

These crows appear to be your standard American Crows. They look large compared to all of the other birds who visit my feeding station. And even though they visit infrequently, they've learned not to fly too far when I come out to the feeder because I bring special treats for them.

I think the drought has been hard on all of the birds recently. I've been careful to keep the birdbath full because it gets lots of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,468 times
Smile Painted Buntings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
Oh Cil, I have always wanted to see the buntings, both painted and indigo, in real life! How sad is that? I am just a Northerner and will never live where they they do. To me, they are just gorgeous-enjoy that walk with the pup every day! It sounds like you are in a birder's paradise indeed!
I am in Mt. Pleasant, SC and even here many people haven't ever seen a Painted Bunting. I have recently returned to the house where I grew up. We have fed the birds since I was a child and have had several pairs of Painted Buntings every year. This past week I saw my first one of the season. They are every bit as beautiful as the pictures you have seen. They are my favorite bird. I hope one day you get to see one too.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:17 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
I've had them come to my feeder in Savannah. They only hung around for a week or two, until the bronze-headed cowbirds showed up. Then they were gone.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:28 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Default Bluebirds checking out the birdhouse! :)

The bluebirds have been around all winter, and this morning I sat for a few minutes on the screened porch and enjoyed the clear blue sky and the crispness of the day warmed by the sun. How peaceful and simple life can be!

Those few minutes gave me the opportunity to see the bluebirds at the feeder, and then I noticed that they were checking out the birdhouse, which we equipped for them last year (we had two sets of fledglings last year). So, the bluebirds are househunting, which is a sure sign of spring (yes, the first day of January, would you believe?). I'll have to start growing my own mealworms. They cleaned me out in no time flat last summer every time I put them out - and not just the bluebirds. Everybody helped themselves!

Old 01-02-2008, 05:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Southward that's wonderful.
I love bluebirds.
I didn't know about them eating mealworms. I can't remember what the pet was, but my brothers used to have to buy mealworms. I used to "grow" my own crickets for our box turtle, she gobbled them up.
We've had some sort of nuthatch, plus chickadees, phoebes and cardinals at the feeder.
I've seen mockingbirds munching on the red berries in our Dahoon Holly tree.
You know, in her own way, I think the female cardinal is actually very pretty with her copper hue.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:18 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,468 times
Just a few of my Backyard Buddies. The 'crowd' changes with the seasons.

The Birds in my Yard

Old 01-02-2008, 08:00 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Southward that's wonderful.
I love bluebirds.
I didn't know about them eating mealworms. I can't remember what the pet was, but my brothers used to have to buy mealworms. I used to "grow" my own crickets for our box turtle, she gobbled them up.
We've had some sort of nuthatch, plus chickadees, phoebes and cardinals at the feeder.
I've seen mockingbirds munching on the red berries in our Dahoon Holly tree.
You know, in her own way, I think the female cardinal is actually very pretty with her copper hue.
I love the cardinals - just painted a pair on a mailbox for newlyweds in FL - it was a Christmas present. I agree, the female is quite pretty in her own way.

I can't quite get them to come to the feeder, though. Then, in reading up on it, I found out that they like feeders in a secluded place where they feel secure. They like to nest and feed in tall shrubs, etc. it said. Currently, my feeders are hanging off the screen porch, and one pole nearby that the bluebird house sits on. Bluebirds like to be close to people, but these feeders are too close to activity for the cardinals' liking. I get a lot of good info at Wilds Birds Unlimited (the bird store), and that's where I started buying the mealworms when they told me that the fledglings need the mealworms. It turned out that everybody liked them!

I get lots of birds fighting over the feeder, but most of them I don't recognize yet. It's going to be bitterly cold today with all the wind here in NC, so I want to find some suet to hang out for them. Grocery tores around here don't seem to sell suet the way they did up north, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Birds at your feeders now?-cardinal-mailbox.jpg   Birds at your feeders now?-cardinals-other-side.jpg  

Last edited by swbtoo; 01-02-2008 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-02-2008, 10:42 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I love the cardinals - just painted a pair on a mailbox for newlyweds in FL - it was a Christmas present. I agree, the female is quite pretty in her own way.

I can't quite get them to come to the feeder, though. Then, in reading up on it, I found out that they like feeders in a secluded place where they feel secure. They like to nest and feed in tall shrubs, etc. it said. Currently, my feeders are hanging off the screen porch, and one pole nearby that the bluebird house sits on. Bluebirds like to be close to people, but these feeders are too close to activity for the cardinals' liking. I get a lot of good info at Wilds Birds Unlimited (the bird store), and that's where I started buying the mealworms when they told me that the fledglings need the mealworms. It turned out that everybody liked them!

I get lots of birds fighting over the feeder, but most of them I don't recognize yet. It's going to be bitterly cold today with all the wind here in NC, so I want to find some suet to hang out for them. Grocery tores around here don't seem to sell suet the way they did up north, though.
Neat little hobby you got. Beatiful work on the mail boxes. Where did you learn to paint that way? LOL

Growing up, our cardinals learned to get used to our feeders even though they were out next to the porch where we can clearly see it (and be seen). but, I secretly think it was because they lived in our yard for so long that they were used to us living there as well!

That's one of the things I miss terribly are the cardinals. I can't wait to see them again.

Southbend, I didn't know you can brow mealworms. Wait, I sense a memory coming back to me here. I think we did some sort of mealworm experiment in school. Hmmmm. Must of forgotten that when we did that in elementary school. How does that work again? LOL

Old 01-02-2008, 02:04 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
We've had a juvenile sharp-shinned hawk hanging out near our bird feeder. It's a gorgeous bird, but I've been finding piles of feathers in the yard lately .... I was hoping it was catching the squirrels who raid the feeders, but apparently this hawk is more interested in the birds themselves.

I guess it's OK if it catches a pigeon or two!

Old 01-02-2008, 03:12 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,065 times
Wink Bird Condo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
We've had a juvenile sharp-shinned hawk hanging out near our bird feeder. It's a gorgeous bird, but I've been finding piles of feathers in the yard lately .... I was hoping it was catching the squirrels who raid the feeders, but apparently this hawk is more interested in the birds themselves.

I guess it's OK if it catches a pigeon or two!
Ah, the circle of life.

I watched a ketrel swoop on our bird "condo" and at first, I shooed him away trying to protect the babies inside, but then I realized just how cool it was to have the kestrel around and to keep the sparrow population down might actually be a good thing. LOL

Though, we came to love our 3 sparrow pairs dearly in our backyard. When my dad rebuilt the bird condo (painting on the side-10 cents rent), they lined up on the back fence awaiting patiently for my dad to hurry up and finish. The minute he walked away it was like watching moms at a toy sale. They fought and "argued" over which one would get which for a least 5 minutes. The conquering pairs sat protectively infront of their holes just ot be sure the neighbors didn't get any sneeky ideas. Love that story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden