Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:08 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times

Advertisements

My hubby built me a raised bed planter. It's 2 x 4. We put it on cinder blocks so I won't have to bend over at all which is great!

I told him I want another one next year.

One is probably enough for me since I am pretty new at this vegetable gardening thing. I am going to have a few plants in containers alongside too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 10:15 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,182,724 times
I have a question for all you that have established SFQ. How do you till up the soil in them to ready for your next planting. Just shovels and rakes? Mini tillers?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:06 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Since I am not a handy ma'am I need somebody to come build me some. In the meantime I have kids that do nice bending.
Can I borrow your kids? Mine are all grown and too tall to do nice bending.

I love this gardening idea. We have beds already - quite large - but I didn't do the planting mixture and had to fight weeds all season last year (our first year with the garden). We have three large frames in a space about 10' wide and 50' long. I can't imagine how much vermiculite that would call for, but it seems worth the effort. Maybe I'll just try it in one box for starters. The smallest is about 6' x 6'.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:52 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,182,724 times
My kids might object a bit.

I have heard if you don't use the soil mixture you will have weed problems just like a plot garden. You have some huge beds!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:20 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Can I borrow your kids? Mine are all grown and too tall to do nice bending.

I love this gardening idea. We have beds already - quite large - but I didn't do the planting mixture and had to fight weeds all season last year (our first year with the garden). We have three large frames in a space about 10' wide and 50' long. I can't imagine how much vermiculite that would call for, but it seems worth the effort. Maybe I'll just try it in one box for starters. The smallest is about 6' x 6'.

Here are some break downs that I found. I hope this is useful.

Materials for three 4x4 gardens

2 4 cubic ft bags od vermiculite

1 3.9 cubic ft bale of peat moss(it is compressed)

4-5 bags of compost. Use a variety of different composts for 8 cubic feet. You can also check out some Rose Food for this.

Some Conversions-

12 Five gallon buckets equals 8 cubic feet

Use 4 five gallon buckets of the 3 main ingredients for one 4x4 box

Old 02-23-2009, 01:34 PM

167 posts, read 864,433 times
I use the SFG concept. I have several of them that I built from scraps. A couple of years ago, we remodeled our kitchen and discovered lots of subfloor damage. We ended up replacing most of the subfloor. We did not throw away the old damaged pieces, but instead cut them into 4' x 8" walls.
AliceT,
Love the tire idea. That is creative.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:00 AM

395 posts, read 1,286,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
My hubby built me a raised bed planter. It's 2 x 4. We put it on cinder blocks so I won't have to bend over at all which is great!

I told him I want another one next year.

One is probably enough for me since I am pretty new at this vegetable gardening thing. I am going to have a few plants in containers alongside too.
Debsi, I am also planning for a 2/4 feet box for my tomatoes. Can I plant 6 tomato plants in 2/4? Or is 6 too much on 2/4? I am wondering if you or any one can help me with this.

I was reading in another article that tomato plants have to be 2 feet apart...is it true?

I am planning on planting 2 cherry tomato plants, 2 plum tomatoes and maybe 2 big beef.

Last edited by Rakhi; 02-24-2009 at 09:10 AM..

Old 02-24-2009, 09:28 AM

I believe you could plant 8 tomatoes because the square foot gardening concept says one tomato plant per square foot.

I am doing different things in each square foot of my box, so just one tomato plant, and maybe another in a pot along side. It will be interesting to see which one does better!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 AM

395 posts, read 1,286,674 times
Thanks Debsi. But I can plant different varieties of tomatoes in this 2/4 feet box right? I mean, I dont have to be very specific about which variety should go beside what?

And its just going to be me and my hubby...so you think 8 plants would be too much? We use tomatoes moderatly.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:25 AM

I am sure somebody else can weigh in to answer how many tomato plants you should do. You can do different varieties in your planter.

I've never successfully grown tomatoes before, I'm a fairly new veggie gardener. I got ONE cherry tomato off my plant last year.

There are lots of recipes out there for something called slow roasted tomatoes. You can freeze them or can them for use in recipes all winter. They are supposed to be fabulous but I never grew enough tomatoes to make them.
The recipe I wanted to make came from a website called kalyn's kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden