Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 01:55 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,838,690 times

Advertisements

Last year I had 7 rose bushes. This year I got carried away and created a rose garden. Within a few weeks I will have 30 rose bushes, including a rose tree and two climbers. Most are hybrid teas, etc. I don't like antique roses, except for my green rose from China, 1845. Most of the bushes I have purchased I am going to keep in 16-20 inch pots. I now have purple, lavender, pink, orange, red, black, green and also multi-color (2 and 3 tone) roses. roses seem to grow better for me than other plants.

Here is a look and link

">

My Rose Garden pictures by jh1882 - Photobucket

Last edited by gy2020; 03-01-2009 at 02:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 02:45 PM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
You are braver than I am. Tea roses are so pretty but that looks like a lot of work to keep up with! Black spot was a big problem for me when I tried roses, too humid. I had better luck with the climbers than the other roses though. Do you keep some of your roses in pots year round?

Old 03-01-2009, 06:54 PM

I am going to keep most in pots because I may move in a year or two. I have 11 planted in the ground and I'll have 19 in pots. Most will be in pots with at least 16 in width. I'll see how they will do. If I have to plant them I will, but I'm hoping they will thrive in pots. I'm retired so this keeps me occupied. I have some advice on purchasing roses over the net. PM me and I'll give you the scoop. I don't wish to alienate cdforum so use the pm. I have some warnings and compliments.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:21 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,610 times
You know a good idea would be to plant the pot, bush and all in the ground. This will help keep your soil from drying out to fast and also keep the soil from getting to hot which can burn the roots if they get to much afternoon sun. They will also winter that way without having to bring them in some place. I did that with a couple of peony bushes till I was ready to put them in a new home and a few of my friends did it with roses. Also kepping them in pots in the ground will make moving them later much easier than having to dig up the root ball and then figuring out what to do with them after they are dug up. Especially if you move in the winter.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:00 PM

wyoquilter:
That's a very good idea. After I get them all potted, I'll look into doing that when the temp gets up there. In the mean time they are all potted in white pots to reflect the sun and keep them cooler.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:42 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,193 times
I,too, got carried away with roses!!! I ended up with about 100..
The care,esp. the constant spraying for black spot just got to be too much. I started replacing any dead ones last year with Knockouts... I know, not as spectacular as Teas, but at least I have plants that are nice looking without so much work!! This way I can keep up with the rest of them...I also like Floribundas..much hardier than Teas .

Old 03-04-2009, 02:23 PM

I have a couple of Floribundas, mostly teas and a couple of climbers. Watch out for Surf & sierra/growquest. You give them money, they keep the money and don't ship flowers, trees as ordered. F rating BBB, been arrested for cheating public (2006) about 300 complaints and very few positives. I am one of the few lucky ones to get my money back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden