Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times

Advertisements

I would think they would, although it would probably have to be a fairly big one and require lots of watering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 PM

140 posts, read 417,999 times
Thanks for all the info !!

Old 03-14-2009, 07:54 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,092,775 times
Our butterfly bush grows below our front window, and last year, we counted seven Monarch butterflies in it at once PLUS hummingbirds and a hummingbird nest.

What's not to love? Everyone should have one.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:12 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,268,416 times
Unhappy Never had this Butterfly Bush problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
We have one in our backyard and it does produce really pretty flowers that last for a large part of late summer. It can get big and dominate part of your garden but I have cut it back (almost to nothing) at the end of the season and it doesn't start to grow back until the weather is warm.

We've had out Butterfly bushes X3 for about 4 years now.
iread that your suppose to cut them down in Winter to the ground.

PROBLEM... here it is almost July 1st...neither of the 3 bushes have any green on them. They just look like dead stumps.
Any suggestions ???
Midwest has had PLENTY of rain & sun, now heat & humidity...but no BF bushes.

HELP PLEASE...

Old 06-21-2010, 01:21 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,248 times
I had a butterfly bush that got out of control, so I cut it back and transplanted it to a different area where it would have more room.

It WAS fragrant. (The dog dug it up and killed it, unfortunately, thus the past tense.) It was the "Black Knight" variety which is a gorgeous dark purple - see link. They do get invasive and they're deciduous, so there is nothing to look at in the winter.

But they do attract pollinators, and if you're a veg gardener, that's a great thing! And I used them a lot in flower arrangements for color, the beauty of the flowers, and the fragrance. I am going to get another one to replace it.

Buddleia davidii 'Black Knight' (Butterfly bush, Summer lilac) - Fine Gardening Plant Guide

Old 06-21-2010, 03:35 PM

662 posts, read 1,643,843 times
Sillypups, it sounds like yours is gone I would think by now it would at least be producing leaves... ours has started really blooming. They really do attract butterflies! Bees too, so you don't want to put them too close to a sitting area. Ours has a light scent. Snapped this shot on Saturday...

http://rockoutgraphics.com/lisa/P1020948_2.JPG (broken link)

Old 06-21-2010, 05:05 PM

147 posts, read 646,230 times
I have 7 Butterfly Bushes, 1 yellow, 2 pink, and 5 purple. I prune them in the spring just as they are starting to show signs of new growth. I leave about a foot of old growth and they do fine. They have had blooms here in west Tenn now for a month. They bloom on new wood. I left mine unpruned 1 year and they still bloomed, but they started to get really big, and all the blooms were on the new growth.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:11 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I had a butterfly bush that got out of control, so I cut it back and transplanted it to a different area where it would have more room.

It WAS fragrant. (The dog dug it up and killed it, unfortunately, thus the past tense.) It was the "Black Knight" variety which is a gorgeous dark purple - see link. They do get invasive and they're deciduous, so there is nothing to look at in the winter.

But they do attract pollinators, and if you're a veg gardener, that's a great thing! And I used them a lot in flower arrangements for color, the beauty of the flowers, and the fragrance. I am going to get another one to replace it.

Buddleia davidii 'Black Knight' (Butterfly bush, Summer lilac) - Fine Gardening Plant Guide
I have that one plus a white one. Love these plants and you can root them really easily!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:49 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,761 times
This is somewhat off topic but I planted two butterfly bushes last year, and I also planted two bee balms. The bee balms came back and are taking over but I have yet to see the butterfly bush. Could the bee balm have killed off the butterfly bush?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:44 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
We have two Butterfly Bushes, and I cut them back each winter, way back each winter, doesn't seem to make much difference, they grow taller than the house each year, and, that part of the yard always smells of honey. Butterflies, Hummers, Honey Bees (help with the garden) and some fancy moths as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden