Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:45 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times

Advertisements

I planted mine a year ago this month. They did nothing until recently. I'm just now seeing some noticeable growth. Healthy as can be though. I can't wait til my neighbors are deleted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 08:13 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
If you plan to live in the house for a long time, you may regret planting Leylands. They get BIG, which is OK, but they die after 20 or 30 years. So, you may end up paying someone to get rid of a big dead tree. The roots are also shallow, which means they can fall over easily.

So of your house is 40 -50 feet away from where you planted the tree..they could fall on the house after they die...or whenever they're knocked over by a storm. It's more work and money, but I would go for a mixed evergreen privacy screen.

You can have large sized trees planted...so you don't have to wait for them to grow. You may pay about 75-175 per tree to have a 10 foot evergreen planted. I would recommend:
1. Loblolly or white pines for fast-growing, longer lived big trees
2. Interplanted with larger sized evergreen shrubs for sun/shade depending on your exposure such as:
Rhododendron, sky pencil juniper or other juniperus virginiana such as emerald sentinel etc, ilex opaca or another holly, hardy camellia or mountain laurel.

If you call a nursery or a tree farm that's local you can ask them about planting bigger trees/shrubs. If the shrub's already 4-10 feet, you won't have to wait as long for it to grow in. Unlike home depot or a lot of online stores, a local nursery or farm can often order taller trees/shrubs. Since those are harder to plant as the rootball may be larger, they'll also provide planting services.

Old 03-12-2022, 12:29 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times
How did these turn out for you?

Just planted 26 of the Green Giant Arborvitaes about a month ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakAttack View Post
Well, we went with buying BOTH leylands and green giant arborvitaes, all in the 3 gallon/3 foot size range. So the race is on to see which ones grow the prettiest and fastest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden