Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 05:23 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,811 times

Advertisements

Very odd, and amusing...I am raising some fernage from nursery dormancy and there isn't much to speak of yet, progress is slow...have all in well-draining pots, fancy this&thats scattered about on my front porch.

So, yesterday, I go check on the Golden something-or-other...or maybe it's the Autumn fern, one, and I see a bunch of straw, leaves and other debris shaped in to what appears to be the early stages of a nest. ON MY PLANT. Well, what will be a plant...
What's interesting is that this particular pot is on the highest shelf of a plant stand right next to my front door...we use the back door more often, but still - there's enough daily traffic to make this a known human zone.

Maybe that's why they haven't finished the nest yet.

That one, sadly, can't stay if it appears to be harming the plant. Ferns are tough, so I'll wait and see.

So, today, I go back out to the woodland potting shed, which in actuality is a neglected, inherited gazebo being put to better use...and see on my second bench, over and in my large pot of native Trillium, that again someone has begun to make a nest...OK, that one can stay...the Trillium are fading anyway...

But I've never had birds (assuming because of the difficult locations and form of nest) be so comfortable in setting up where I frequent daily...

Are Chickadees that bold? Perhaps the Titmouse?

Haven't seen the builder yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 05:36 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,234,476 times
Robins??

Will be interesting to find out.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:23 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
How big is the nest? Perhaps it is a wren, aren't they fond of houses? At least it wasn't a chicken!

Old 05-21-2009, 12:41 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,811 times
It's forming in one of those large terra cotta pots...nest not as large in diameter, but whomever this might be is trying to extend the bracing to each end...for stability.

I'll check later and see if any more work has been done. Not excited about it right now, got chewed up pretty severely yesterday. I am covered in ugly red bumps and very itchy. At least this time it wasn't the chiggers.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:53 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,895 times
It happens all the time. I used to work at a large independent retail nursery, and we had all sorts of birds nesting in the pots. . . .especially the "hanging pots". . . . must look like a good place to raise a family, if you are a bird! Fortunatly, I was "high enough" up in the organization to put "not for sale" signs on the affected plants. . . .

Old 05-24-2009, 11:32 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,350 times
[quote=cap1717;8917611]It happens all the time. I used to work at a large independent retail nursery, and we had all sorts of birds nesting in the pots. . . .especially the "hanging pots". . . . must look like a good place to raise a family, if you are a bird! Fortunatly, I was "high enough" up in the organization to put "not for sale" signs on the affected plants. . . .[/quote. We had baby rabbits grow up in our flower garden 11 years ago. It was great to watch them grow.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:38 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,634,766 times
Just spiders!! My cat "mans" the deck with great prowess.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:51 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,142 times
How about a pendant light fixture in the sunroom. The light is about 10 or 12 inches in diameter. I can leave the back door open 24/7 when the weather is not cold because it goes out to a big covered backporch. My old dogs can mosey in and out as they choose.

When I removed the glass to see what could possibly be blocking out most of the light the builder flew out. The nest stayed intact and so I moved it into a box and put the box on top of a 7 ft high bookcase just a few feet away. Don't know if the owner/occupant has returned, but it's only been two days so maybe. I didn't even get to see what kind of bird it was.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:35 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
How about a pendant light fixture in the sunroom. The light is about 10 or 12 inches in diameter. I can leave the back door open 24/7 when the weather is not cold because it goes out to a big covered backporch. My old dogs can mosey in and out as they choose.

When I removed the glass to see what could possibly be blocking out most of the light the builder flew out. The nest stayed intact and so I moved it into a box and put the box on top of a 7 ft high bookcase just a few feet away. Don't know if the owner/occupant has returned, but it's only been two days so maybe. I didn't even get to see what kind of bird it was.

Welcome Zugor! It is good to see someone here from Floyd County! My brother and sister-in -law live there. . . and as I am a big "old time music" fan, we spent a wonderful evening at the "store" last time I visited!

Old 06-03-2009, 08:53 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,976 times
My mother also!

The same family of finches nests in one of her hanging backets every year. Funny thing, she's right in the hub of the busy city on the fourth floor of a highrise.

She always tries to persuade them to go elsewhere, but it's where they want to be.

Even put up another basket, just for them. but they like hers, always.

Pretty neat having your own national geo 'live' almost at your fingertips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden