Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:22 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,561 times

Advertisements

Wyoquilter....your flowers are absolutely beautiful!!! Appreciate the pics. My faves are the first couple of pictures of the perennial/old fashioned garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:43 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
What a beautiful garden, thank you for sharing

I especially like your yellow tree peonie I have a white one and last year I had a lot of flowers on it--this year only one . The size of each flower is just amazing, plate sized when fully open!
Actually my yellow peony is a hybrid a cross between a tree and a bush. It has the leaves and blooms of a tree peony, but everything else is just like a bush. It is an Itoh peony, hybridized by some Japanese guy named Itoh and he died before he saw a lot of his hybridized peonies bloom.

I hear you about the bloom size, When I took that pic. it had only been opened for a day. Now the thing is as big as a correll medium sized plate. The smell is absolutely gorgeous as well, sort of lemony.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Wyoquilter....your flowers are absolutely beautiful!!! Appreciate the pics. My faves are the first couple of pictures of the perennial/old fashioned garden.
Thank-you! I was trying to go for the old fashioned cottagey look in my flower beds. I have lupine, (miniture because of high winds), miniture delphiniums, stargazer lilies, tall garden phlox, rose bushes, painted daisies, a shasta type daisy, dianthus, columbine, salvia, speedwell, gailardia, bleeding hearts, mums, irises, and of course peonies.

I have at least 10 peonies planted so far in my front flower beds and 2 more in my back yard that will get transplanted in my front yard and then when I divide up my bigger peonies this year I'll probably have a couple more to plant. I have 2 possibly 3 people that want a division.

I have my eye on a few more plants like asters and some coneflowers. I really want that new Green Envy coneflower. I'm also looking at putting a smaller spirea in one of the corners by the house. I also saw a blue flower the other day in someone else's yard that didn't look like bachelor buttons. I was driving by so I wasn't able to stop and ask what it was, but it was really sweet looking and I would like to add a bit of blue into my beds.

I have some Iceland pink poppy seeds that I'm trying to decde where to put them in and I also have some cosmos seeds I was thinking of scattering in with my irises.

My flower beds are still a work in progress, but I am happy with the results so far. I'm always open to new plant ideas, so if anyone has some other plant suggestions that can go down to a zone 4, (zone 3 preferable just in case, but 4 at the most) I'd love to hear them.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:24 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,858 times
Wyoquilter, love all your flowers! Beautiful.

and the yellow peony was a treat to see. The lemony smell sounds wonderful.

Treated myself to a bouquet of pink ones a couple of wks back and they were gorgeous and smelled so nice.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:35 PM

226 posts, read 298,027 times
Beautiful flowers. I've never seen a yellow peony before. That is gorgeous! I thought it was a big yellow rose (of Texas, lol) at first. Love the lupines too. Are lupines hard to grow up here in the north?

Old 06-18-2009, 07:09 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Here is some pics. of some of my flower beds. Some plants aren't blooming yet and have reached their fullness, but it is still early for our area and we have had a pretty cool and damp Spring so far.

The yellow peony is my most prized plant. It is still blooming, just one bud has opened up so far. Last year it only had 6 blossoms, this year it looks like I'll have 10. It took it three years to bloom the first time and I only had 2 small blossoms on it that year. I transplanted it from the pot I had it in and put it directly in the ground a few months after it bloomed that first year. ( I had the pot burried up until then) It took another two years before it bloomed again. Now it is a 7 year old plant all total and each year it brings on more blooms.

I hope you all enjoy!!

Attachment 43480

Attachment 43481

Attachment 43482

Attachment 43483

Attachment 43484

Attachment 43485

Attachment 43486

Attachment 43487

Very Beautiful Garden you have Thanks for Sharing such beautiful pictures with us all.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherron View Post
Beautiful flowers. I've never seen a yellow peony before. That is gorgeous! I thought it was a big yellow rose (of Texas, lol) at first. Love the lupines too. Are lupines hard to grow up here in the north?
Thank-you!

Well I live in zone 4 (almost zone 3) and Lupines seem to do fairly good here. I have to mulch them good in the fall/early winter. I was told they are a short lived perennial, haven't looked into it yet to verify.

I plant the miniture varieties as I live up on a hill that can get an aweful lot of wind and the Russel Lupines would need to be staked to keep them from being broken or blown over.

The yellow peony is called Yellow Crown and it is a hybrid between a tree and a bush peony. It is much shorter than my other peonies, but the blossoms are 1 and 1/2 times larger than my other peonies. I have it planted up by my front door because I worry that someone might steal it.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Wyoquilter, love all your flowers! Beautiful.

and the yellow peony was a treat to see. The lemony smell sounds wonderful.

Treated myself to a bouquet of pink ones a couple of wks back and they were gorgeous and smelled so nice.
Thank-you!

I love stepping outside my front door and getting the wiff of fragrance from the peonies. I just wished they bloomed more than once a year. I don't cut any of the peony blossoms and bring them inside because then I wouldn't have any more flowers outside. Now if they bloomed all spring and summer I would.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
Very Beautiful Garden you have Thanks for Sharing such beautiful pictures with us all.
Thank-you! I will share more photos as my other flowers start to bloom. I have a few more peonies opening up and some delphiniums as well.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:48 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
Great pictures! I wish I could grow healthy lupines like you, but our climate is a little too hot. At least I can grow larkspur!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden