Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 02:07 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times

Advertisements

We got a cabbage bigger than my head from our neighbor's garden, and baking taters the size of footballs! We may not be able to grow everything we want easily in the Interior, but some things really are bigger in Alaska! Normally something as big as these would be flavorless and pithy, but these are absolutely scrumptious. They still had a few broccoli side shoots left and a cauliflower or two, so we cut those for them since we're getting heavy frosts already and they're out of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 02:26 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,377,702 times
I garden with a few friends. This week we picked enough tomatoes, peppers, and onion to make 40 jars of Salsa. We finished making sweet relish and dill relish that will last all year. We canned 14 jars of dilly beans. I have a ton of onions, corn, and tomatoes that need to be processed this week too.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:04 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
We got a cabbage bigger than my head from our neighbor's garden, and baking taters the size of footballs! We may not be able to grow everything we want easily in the Interior, but some things really are bigger in Alaska! Normally something as big as these would be flavorless and pithy, but these are absolutely scrumptious. They still had a few broccoli side shoots left and a cauliflower or two, so we cut those for them since we're getting heavy frosts already and they're out of town.
Did you ask your neighbor? LOL

Old 09-15-2010, 04:12 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Today lots and lots of things. My wife did most of it.

Trays of stawberries, trays of tomaters.

many squash n punkin's, more still ripening on the vines.

There is a lot of silver queen corn ready, which is too much for just corn on the cob.

maybe 1/3 of the taters are in now.

more tomaters are ripening still. More strawberries will be ready in a few days.

There is yellow beans we have no more room for and will have to go to waste.

The 2nd planting of lettuce is comin on strong.

The carrots look like store bought for the first time in this garden, mainly due to the more soil I made.

This has been a very good season in NH USA.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:23 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Picked enough jalapenos for 4 quarts of sliced peppers, pulled up the tomatoes.
Harvested enough basil to make almost a quart of pesto, ate some, froze some. Going to let the basil bolt now, to get the seed for fall crop.
Impatiently waiting for the weather to level off into the 80s, so I can plant arugula, various lettuces, spinach, beets, and whatever else I can think of.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:59 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Did you ask your neighbor? LOL
Hehehe - of course we asked, we're veggie-sitting for them while they're out of town When we told them how huge the cabbage and taters were they practically begged us to take some LOL I didn't greed on the broc or cauli though, those were normal sized and they didn't have a bumper crop this year so I just harvested them and put them in the fridge for them... if they don't get home in the next couple days, I'll run over and blanch them for freezing.

I'm not sure whether their acorn squash and pumpkins are going to ripen in time, but I went ahead and covered them just in case it frosts.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,137 times
I picked a lemon from my tree this morning so I could use the juice and zest for preparing our lunch to take to work.

And picked a lime up off the ground at the same time. I rarely pick limes as my tree just drops them when they are ready. I like them better when they're "freshly laid" by my tree, versus picking one, as the limes seem to be at the perfect ripeness. And so juicy! You cut them and you're lucky not to get squirted in the eye they're so packed with juice! My lemon tree doesn't drop its fruit and they're a lot tougher to pick.

The leftover olives on our trees are now bird food. The crows, ravens and hawks love them. They pick them perfectly clean, leaving the pits behind. Except the birds sometimes leave me something extra behind - black poop!

Old 09-18-2010, 09:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Picked enough jalapenos for 4 quarts of sliced peppers, pulled up the tomatoes.
Harvested enough basil to make almost a quart of pesto, ate some, froze some. Going to let the basil bolt now, to get the seed for fall crop.
Impatiently waiting for the weather to level off into the 80s, so I can plant arugula, various lettuces, spinach, beets, and whatever else I can think of.
we are about at the same stage, but I can't do the fall to winter stuff, it just gets a little too cold here..We can't stop the jalpenos either but we will pull up the tomatoes next week I think. EXcept for a few cukes, everything else is gone.

Good bye garden, see ya next year..

Nita

Old 09-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,141,675 times
Sunday I picked 2 cukes, 2 peppers & still getting tons of tomatoes..

Old 09-20-2010, 03:16 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,377,702 times
Picked some paprika peppers today. Need to get back out there and cut the parsley, its going like crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden