Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:30 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,845,339 times

Advertisements

Well it wasn't cukes or squash - the first hard frost just killed them off but good.........

Still hanging in with the last of the tomatoes, hoping some will grow a little more LOL. Still getting ripening handfuls of cherry tomatos though - they seem a little hardier.

Setting up my grow lights to bring the herb garden indoors for the winter - another experiment so we'll see how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 06:41 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Jax I didn't mean to impy that. No we smash and bash and cook off hard, canning at 180 degrees. What is canned looks like a sauce. Pretty much like canning maple syrup, just a little less time boiling off that 40 gallons of sap.

So far when maple syrup is boiling at 219' once I take it off the heat in a cup to load a 1 qt jar that temp drops like a rock to apx 180. I have a wiz bang temp prob to read out to 100th's of a degree.

Old left over temp controlls from vacuum ovens 6 men can stand inside. The prob is stainless.

I would prefer whole tomatoes and so am exicted over that news paper trick. If it won't work on the little cherries it won't but I will get this done both ways, so not all is lost.

For some reason the lettuce is still hanging on, and it was 27 here last night. I had ice in the bucket this morning.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:21 PM

Mac, will strawberries come back if they're left outside over winter? Would sticking them they're protected from the worst by the house eaves work if so? (they're in containers)

Old 10-19-2010, 07:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

For some reason the lettuce is still hanging on, and it was 27 here last night. I had ice in the bucket this morning.
I had lettuce that survived a freeze last year.....one would think it would be the first to go.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I had lettuce that survived a freeze last year.....one would think it would be the first to go.
True - the vines on the punkins/cukes shrivelled, the lettuces are fine LOL

Old 10-20-2010, 06:19 AM

433 posts, read 1,143,666 times
I picked my second tomato from the 2 betterboys that I have. I have quite a few coming on so I am going to protect that plant from chilly nights. I also got a few green beans and chiles.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Mac, will strawberries come back if they're left outside over winter? Would sticking them they're protected from the worst by the house eaves work if so? (they're in containers)
Mine do, and I don't do a thing to them for that. In the past all I did was maybe add a little straw, aqnd they just perked up under the snow right where they still are in the garden.

This year I am doing things a little different. The first thing is they must be moved out of the garden to some other place in the field.

That has nothing to do with them but the room they take will be used for Sguash, or pumpkins, maybe corn. The idea is more about not turning the tiller, to walk longer, apx 100 feet before turning the tiller.

Since the soil here is terrible, hard pan sand, with rocks and smaller bolders, I am not going to bother to till the new area at all and will just move soil there, then dig out the plants and re-plant.

Not much new there either. but what will be new is I will cover them well with straw and card board, and because this past spring we had late frosts. The plan is to get by that last frost, before i let them have sun.

A lot of damage to beech trees, birches, maple and oaks happened for that frost, and it made the berries funny looking for a longer time over summer. As if each berry were 2. This aslo effectedBrown Eyed Susans Flowers which had 2 centers in many single flowers.

Last winter wasn't exactly snow less, but it wasn't like the 2 winters before that with 5 and 6 feet + of snow on the ground most of winter.

Snow in feet deep keeps things temperate under it here. So the whole idea is to prevent a frost from them when it is wake up time, not to prevent real cold from them.

A few years ago in the compost which I still do as much of as i can beg leaves and grass, I found a lost beer I used to kill snails. It had been in the compost lost all winter and hadn't exploded.

If I didn't compost to make soil there would be no possible garden here.
This last season was the first time the area had just barely more than enough soil for the entire area. I think I am addicted to making soil at this point.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post

Yeah we planted more in mid summer as the last Fall planing went to seed. These are mixed plant types lettuces, and they are still coming on. after several hard frosts, like ice in the bucket weatha, makes me miserable to scrape the winshield with my finger nails.

We were told Spring lettuce growing thru the snow would be bitter, but it wasn't. I didn't tell the lettuce about that either. This will pop right up in Spring, and i will be hopin some of the tomatoes made it that far.

All those vines and leaves Opyelie mentioned are great compost if anyone needs soils.

My idea on that is to have th soil 2 feet deep. This year was great, best ever, but last year there was way too much rain, and we lost a lot of plants to wet feet. If I can create soils 2 feet deep it would stop that problem. Then I would have to pull off a major sun dance I guess, but I might be able to work on that

I give the snails Budwiser, but I drink the La Batt's

Old 10-20-2010, 07:16 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
The last of the green peppers, beans that had dried on the vines and plants. Then I pulled out the plants. Got the Habaneros a few days ago. Pulled out the basil today and harvested the last of the leaves.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:47 PM

261 posts, read 705,417 times
It's not technically my garden , but I just got some Atemoyas and a Jackfruit from my awesome tropical fruit growing neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden