Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:07 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,055 times

Advertisements

Perfectly stated posts/thoughts on this one..

Extremely invasive and a big weedy problem even here where we lack the humidity which drives many other plants wild..It is also being carefully watched by our Ag. agencies, as well as the CA. invasive plant council..every time i see this one in a yard im re landscaping, it is the first thing to go..and often it will turn up seedlings years after the original tree was removed..

Sadly, Black locust, brought here by the pioneers, is also considered somewhat invasive..kind of sad since it is such a beautiful tree..

Purple robe while a little sparser in overall foliage, is no less a great tree..

Yellow wood is also a nice tree...though i wasn't lucky enough to see a more mature specimen than the ones planted around the apartment complex i was living in back in Cincinnati..From what i remember, the flowers smelled great..another bonus of this one.

Anyone back there ever try to work with Laburnum or Golden Chain Tree??...im curious because they are at their warm-temperature tolerance limit here..wondering how they might do back east.. Ive heard that they can take a fair amount of cold..anyhow, It strongly resembles Cassia fistula, a remarkably beautiful subtropical commonly seen in parts of Florida and being trialed in So. Cal. Imagine a huge 30-45+ foot tall tree covered in bright yellow showers of flowers..Spectacular..Both the Cassia and the Chain trees..

Mimosa is the Grubby teenage brother of the Legume family..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 05:38 AM

593 posts, read 2,893,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Mimosa Trees

I think they are a beautiful tree. My parents had one in their yard and only one. They didn't take over. I love the blooms and they smell so nice.
They don't take over the same yard, the seeds spread miles and miles away to natural areas. Not to home landscapes that are maintained and mowed constantly.

Why is it so hard for people to grasp this concept?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:17 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
Mimosas are blooming now and you can seem them growing all along the interstates around here. Amazing how they proliferate.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:57 AM

394 posts, read 1,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They're native to Asia but yet they reproduce here with no problem, that's what makes them invasive. They take up space that native plants could be using.

Personally I call them "ghetto palms" and I think they look trashy in the yard of a nice home, but that's just my opinion (ride around affluent neighborhoods, you won't see Mimosas because landscapers get rid of them). I rip them up every chance I get.
ghetto palms - funny. Interesting how things are different in different parts of the country. I live in the most affluent neighborhood in my area and it's the only place in town where I've found Mimosas. Around here, Magnolias are considered a nuisance but are beloved in many other parts of the country.

My interest in Mimosas started b/c, not having seen any for at least 20 years, I was interested in how well they seemed to grow with no chemicals and no watering other than rainfall. I don't use chemicals and believe in xeriscaping so I thought I would inquire about the Mimosa. Hmm... I don't like invasive species, though.

Thanks for all the advice!

Old 07-10-2009, 02:11 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
if you live in a zone higher than 5 (planting zone) and and east of Dallas/Tulsa/KC chances are high the mimosa is on your state invasive list or working it's way there.

remember, the zones are moving, so this tree is probably on the move too -- Hardiness Zone Changes at arborday.org

Old 07-10-2009, 07:21 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
They don't take over the same yard, the seeds spread miles and miles away to natural areas. Not to home landscapes that are maintained and mowed constantly.

Why is it so hard for people to grasp this concept?

I don't see them growing in the country so the seeds must not blow that far. ????? I never pulled up those trees in the yard but had many elm trees coming up.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:34 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
You may live in an area or an environment that hasn't been affected yet. Here's a map showing how far the threat has spread, and a good description of the problem,

Eastern Forest Threat Center - Silktree

Old 07-10-2009, 09:40 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
My grandparents had a big one in their back yard when I was a kid - and that was in the Kansas City area. I noticed if it got unusually cold in winter, it would have some branches dead the following spring, but it grew really fast. I love the leaves and the flowers, but as I recall, it spread and started other trees.

Here in Denver there are a couple large ones at the Botanic Gardens, but other than that, I haven't seen any growing around the city.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:53 AM

218 posts, read 1,462,399 times
I have 2 here and thought of putting 1 at new property, but due to this forum have found out they are invasive and did some reading.
I've read and found interesting that "Mimosa seeds have impermeable seed coats that allow them to remain dormant for years. One study showed 90% viability after five years; another Albizia species had 33% germination of seeds after 50 years in opend storage"

Old 07-11-2009, 07:11 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Great map DubbleT. I was quite surprised to see Mimosa growing up here in New Jersey. Last year I spotted a few along a dirt farm road between a small business and an undeveloped property. That is just the sort of "waste" land where they get a foothold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You may live in an area or an environment that hasn't been affected yet. Here's a map showing how far the threat has spread, and a good description of the problem,

Eastern Forest Threat Center - Silktree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden