Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:19 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,578 times

Advertisements

North Mississippi here....

I have three Big Boy tomato plants that I tried in my square foot garden as well as a grape tomato plant. The big boys are loaded, and I have picked about 6 ripe ones so far with others turning each day. The grape tomato plant was planted later and it is loaded iwth tomatoes. My plants are also out of control huge and we have had to go back and restake some of them!

In my big garden, we had to wait almost a month from our usual planting date of right after Easter because of rains. So, the 44 tomato plants we have in this garden are doing ok for the time they've been planted. We lost a few due to wind and hail from a couple of storms, but the rest are thriving and seem to be growing at a rapid rate and are loaded in blooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 03:22 AM

4 posts, read 9,471 times
the tomatoes are still green, many mini in appearance
i'm looking forward to red
if you can grow tomatoes can you grow weed?
i wish it was that easy
seeing as how you can't buy reef at the grocery

Old 08-09-2009, 05:47 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,934 times
I'm in Pittsburgh-

Our tomatoes are doing great! Here in Pa, you have to wait until after May 15th to plant which we did, but this year we had one more frost on the 17th or 18th so I wasn't sure the tomatoes would do well at all. The tomatotes were just planted then and they almost didn't make it. I think the unusually rainy early summer really helped.

We have both yellow pear and big boy tomatoes, started from seed in late winter, and I've already picked about three yellow pear. I've been eating them right there in the garden, sharing them with the kids when they are out with me. We usually don't have this kind of growth so I'm thrilled!

There are a few tomatoes with some brownish black spots on the bottom. Could be blight, I'm not sure. The tomatoes seem to be growing fine and the few I can see are starting to get a slight blush, so I hope this means all is well. Can't wait for that first tomato sandwich!

Old 08-09-2009, 06:22 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
I'm in Wyoming.

Both of my tomato plants are huge, healthy and sprawling with lots and lots of still-green tomatoes. Our growing season here is quite short and I had to wait to mid-May to plant. I still have about five to six weeks (that I can count on) of good weather so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I planted them with some basil, which is doing well also and I'm hoping for caprese salads in a few weeks. This is my first attempt at tomatoes outside of Texas and there certainly are alot fewer bugs eating the plants here, so perhaps the trade-off of less time to grow isn't so bad.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:18 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
NE TN mountains here.

I planted 17 tomato plants on May 23. They look very healthy but nothing is red yet. Lots of green tomatoes so I am just waiting. It's been very wet with very cool nights here this summer.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:26 AM

517 posts, read 2,485,128 times
My plant is huge but so far only one red tomato and that one was half eaten. Lots of green tomatoes. I'm wondering if I should pick a few early and ripen inside. Thoughts?

Old 08-09-2009, 11:31 AM

855 posts, read 2,396,536 times
Ours are picking up steam now that it's warmed up. A few of them are six feet tall and starting to put out ripe fruit on an almost daily basis.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:47 AM

202 posts, read 1,075,419 times
My lone bonnie tomato plant and it just started to turn red about a couple of days ago.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:48 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I'm in Montgomery County, Pa., one of the hotbeds for late blight it seems. I'm pretty sure one of my plants got it -- the leaves one day were fine, and the next look like they'd been covered with brittle mud -- so I put a plastic trash bag over it, pulled it out and disposed of it, and am holding my breath for the rest.

They all have the usual soilborne fungi; I'm never diligent about using fungicide. *sigh* And this being a very wet and cool summer, I should have been. Some of the stems have become too weak to hold the fruit, so I wound up with a lot of green tomatoes on the ground.

But so far, the harvest has been great. I've got 10 plants: two roma, one cherry, two golden, and the rest regular ol' tomatoes. They produced a lot of fruit, that's for sure, and for some odd reason the squirrels this year haven't been after the fruit as much as usual. Maybe because there's plenty of water on the ground for them.

I processed 20 quarts of tomatoes yesterday, and made about two gallons of pulp for spaghetti sauce. Next up is yellow tomato salsa, and green tomato chutney. I may not have any tomatoes to eat raw in another couple of weeks, but the winter stash is in place.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:33 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
My cherry and grape tomatoes are going crazy - have four plants each and have had to give them to friends and neighbors because I can't keep up with them. the beefsteak are not doing too bad, not as prolific, but I suspect they will all ripen at once like the grapes and cherries. Still plenty more green ones to turn for me. I am loving it! Did I mention I am in southern WV area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden