Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 03:17 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
Or just trim it before the seeds form: duh. A lot cheaper than ripping it up & replacing it.
It could be trimmed of flowers while it's young, and they do grow slowly, but eventually it will get too big to do that....and they do get really large!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 03:36 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,391 times
Yes!! the fruit produced by Female trees smells terrible..which is why your best bet when considering Ginkgo trees are to look for Male varieties which do not produce fruits.

If memory serves me correctly, only male trees can be sold in a few states..

Besides it's stinky fruits, ginkgo trees are spectacular relics from a time long since past.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:35 PM

357 posts, read 1,018,950 times
they have texture like Chestnuts, we normally boiled them with dry jujubes and little bit sugar and ginger on special occasion, they so expensive well may be to my family standard. Jujubes can be substitute with dates in if prepare in the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
What is the fruit of ginko good for anyway? Do people make pies?

Old 10-09-2009, 12:48 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,424,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
they have texture like Chestnuts, we normally boiled them with dry jujubes and little bit sugar and ginger on special occasion, they so expensive well may be to my family standard. Jujubes can be substitute with dates in if prepare in the country.
Do you drink the concoction as a sort of tea, or do you turn it into a sort of liquor?

Old 10-09-2009, 09:31 AM

357 posts, read 1,018,950 times
I would compare it likes oatmeal with date for breakfast, or have it cold by adding ice cube for snack in the afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Do you drink the concoction as a sort of tea, or do you turn it into a sort of liquor?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:36 PM

605 posts, read 2,160,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I've got a friend who has a Ginko Tree in his front yard. It's a beautiful tree. But part of the year his yard smells like one giant pile of cat poop.

For that reason alone I'll never have a Ginko in my yard.
The smell is butyric acid, the same chemical that makes vomit, parmesan cheese, and body odor so unappealing. In my urban neighborhood, we have a number of the trees planted in boxes along the roadside. I can not walk down the ginko-lined streets this time of year without being nearly overcome by the odor. Many of the fruits crack open when they fall and hit the sidewalk. There would be no way to trim the buds off of all the trees (which can grow to 75' or more) or even to sweep up all of the stinking fallen fruit. Last year, I accidentally crushed a fruit under my shoe before getting into my husband's car. His car then stank of ginko for weeks. Stepping in dog poop would have caused less of a smelly mess.

Regarding finding a male tree, I found this information on About.com (Forestry, - Profiles (http://forestry.about.com/od/silviculture/p/ginkgo.htm): - broken link)

Female plants are wider-spreading than the males. Only male plants should be used as the female produces foul smelling fruit in late autumn. The only way to select a male plant is to purchase a named cultivar including ‘Autumn Gold’, ‘ Fastigiata’, ‘Princeton Sentry’, and ‘Lakeview’ because there is no reliable way to select a male plant from a seedling until it fruits. It could take as long as 20 years or more for Ginkgo to fruit.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:44 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,705,121 times
I have a Ginkgo in a pot, have had for many years (10?)...will not put in the ground because I have absolutely NO idea if it is male or female.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:50 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
IOWA CITY, Iowa – The ginkgo tree is renowned for its hardiness, surviving everything from road salt to an atomic bomb, but it may be undone by another trait — it reeks.

"It's pretty disgusting," said Jan Schneider, an office manager in downtown Iowa City whose business has a ginkgo out front.

Smell has some cities ripping out ginkgo trees - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091005/ap_on_re_us/us_stinky_trees - broken link)
All you have to do is clean up the seeds that fall. How hard is that? I'm sure there are lots and lots of people on the welfare roles who could be effectively employed to provide this service to the city and keep it *sparkling* clean - of course, the work day couldn't start until Oprah was over with.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-11-2009, 01:24 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
of course, the work day couldn't start until Oprah was over with.

20yrsinBranson
or Morey Povitch so they can find out whose daddy they might be, and of course Judge Judy

Old 10-12-2009, 10:56 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,130 times
I don't know how hard it would be to keep the seeds cleaned up, but I would also hate to see a ginkgo cut down, male or female.....they're so beautiful. If I were younger (they grow so slowly!), I'd plant a whole grove of them along my driveway.

My mom used to live in a house that had one (male, apparently) in the yard....I'd guess it was probably 50 feel tall at least, and 30 feet wide at the base. Every fall it was just gorgeous. One year I took some pictures of my kids sitting in it....they were great. Another nice thing about them is that the leaves all fall pretty much at once, then they stay pretty on the ground for a long time....it's like a picture you'd see of fall in New England. And they do this even in the south! The branch structure, when mature, is very neat, too....horizontally layered, and the unique shape of the leaves gives it an unusual look even from pretty far away.

Any young people here thinking about planting trees and have time to let them grow, get one. Google them, click on images, and prepared to breathe, "Wow!" Here are a couple to get you started:

Btw, what is the correct spelling? I googled and came up with ginko, gingko, and ginkgo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden