Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 01:14 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,873,389 times

Advertisements

I was wondering does anyone know if the Hachiya Persimmon trees can be grown in Phoenix, AZ? I like the Hachiya Persimmons better then the Fuyu Persimmons. Is the Phoenix area heat to warm to grow them properly here?
They are soooooo expensive at the stores you can find them at.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 03:31 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,391 times
Autumn,

Your best bet for growing this variety of Persimmon in Phoenix would be to place it somewhere where it can receive some sort of protection from the intense heat, especially during the brutal summer months. Also give it a spot with richer soil and a little more water at this time.

If you have larger shade trees on your property you could grow the Persimmon below the canopy so that the tree will receive some shade during the hottest part of the day.

Another technique is to keep the tree dwarfed and topped..say no taller than around 10-12' tall. this not only keeps the fruit at a level where they are easily picked but also may allow you to place the tree in a spot where it can get shade from a building or other tree or beneath a structure with a shade cloth spread over the top.

We keep the Fuyu in the yard topped at about 10' with both a summer and dormant pruning each year. The summer pruning is done to take out all water sprouts which helps produce larger fruits later on.

Dormant pruning is done to tidy up the overall structure and help in developing a productive framework..so yes, there are ways to grow this wonderful variety in hot places like Arizona.

Lastly, when you purchase a tree, make sure it is at least 6 years old as these trees usually won't start producing fruit until about age 7.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to send a PM.

Last edited by si33; 11-01-2009 at 03:39 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
Autumn,

Your best bet for growing this variety of Persimmon in Phoenix would be to place it somewhere where it can receive some sort of protection from the intense heat, especially during the brutal summer months. Also give it a spot with richer soil and a little more water at this time.

If you have larger shade trees on your property you could grow the Persimmon below the canopy so that the tree will receive some shade during the hottest part of the day.

Another technique is to keep the tree dwarfed and topped..say no taller than around 10-12' tall. this not only keeps the fruit at a level where they are easily picked but also may allow you to place the tree in a spot where it can get shade from a building or other tree or beneath a structure with a shade cloth spread over the top.

We keep the Fuyu in the yard topped at about 10' with both a summer and dormant pruning each year. The summer pruning is done to take out all water sprouts which helps produce larger fruits later on.

Dormant pruning is done to tidy up the overall structure and help in developing a productive framework..so yes, there are ways to grow this wonderful variety in hot places like Arizona.

Lastly, when you purchase a tree, make sure it is at least 6 years old as these trees usually won't start producing fruit until about age 7.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to send a PM.

si33,

Thank you so much for your informative reply
Persimmons are yummy aren't they

Old 11-03-2009, 03:39 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,391 times
Your welcome, and yes..while i don't eat them as much as most of my family does, they're a great snack...By the way, i saw Fuyus at a local store here in CA. going for $2.00 each..and Hachiyas for .99 cents...still kind of expensive for such a common fruit..

Old 11-04-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
Your welcome, and yes..while i don't eat them as much as most of my family does, they're a great snack...By the way, i saw Fuyus at a local store here in CA. going for $2.00 each..and Hachiyas for .99 cents...still kind of expensive for such a common fruit..
Really..... here in Arizona the Hachiya persimmon is usually more expensive then the Fuyu! I remember last year at Sprouts the Hachiya's were $2 or $3 each It's ridiculous. $1 each isn't cheap either- but cetainly better then $2-$3!

Old 11-04-2009, 08:38 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
I just planted a Fuyu persimmon earlier this year. I bought it from a nursery and it was about 4~5 feet tall when I got it. Can you tell how old it is with this height?

I planted it where it can receive full sun, but our sun is probably not as strong as what you would see in AZ, plus we get more rain.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:40 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,174 times
HB2HSV there is a persimmon tree in the front of the CAT BIRD SEAT nursery on Madison Blvd/20. I have seen it full of fruit. Really beautiful. I bet they know alot about them there since they have such a nice specimun. It must do well here in the Huntsville area because it has been there for years.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 10,191 times
Default Hachiya Persimmon tree question

Autumn 07, I also live in Phoenix, AZ and love both types of persimmon, especially fuyu. I often bought them at either Lee Lee Supermarket located in the northeast corner of Warner and Dobson or at Mekong Supermarket located in the southwest corner of Dobson and Apachee. They were sold usually at .99 cents/lb. Near the end of the season, Mekong sometimes sold them in wrapped packages for only $.59/lb.

Did you finally grow a persimmon tree and where did you buy it? I really want to grow one, myself.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:43 AM

1 posts, read 5,938 times
Default Tree leaves

I have both Hachiya and Fuyu trees first year planting them, they lost there leaves at first but then reproduced. Its been few months looked good in heat of summer. Now my leaves are turning yellow in middle. Is this normal for this time of the year or is because of lack of water or to much water? I did cut back on water and temps have droped somewhat this year. Please advise. thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden