Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,676 times

Advertisements

What if you have already started with dog poop on the surface of a garden area? Will it be safe if I scoop it all up and maybe a few inches deeper? I started about 2 weeks ago putting our dog feces where I intend to garden (vegetables).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 09:09 PM

275 posts, read 419,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyligeia View Post
How bout we just get rid of all the sewage systems in the US; since human waste is OK to fertilize with, it surely will not harm our drinking water, right? I mean, when has a little raw sewage ever hurt anyone?
I am being VERY sarcastic.

Anyone here aware of what killed the majority of the Yankee prisoners at Andersonville?
No, but heard some horror stories about that prison
back in Civil War days...
how did they die?

Old 04-07-2013, 09:22 PM

Dog poop can contain bad diseases which is why you would NOT want to live in Connecticut if you had no fence & needed to walk your
dog in your town.
Dog poop can contain Salmonella poisoning if your dog
accidentally is fed dog food infected with Salmonella
poisoning.
now if you are FORCED to pick up your dog's poop
daily, you could easily come down with Salmonella poisoning
& end up dead, sadly.
there were people down in Kentucky & Tennessee, i belueve last year who died from eating cantalopes infected with
Salmonella poisoning.
that is an idiotic law, in Connecticut, in my humble opinion.
i don't see how a state thinks it has the right to put people's
safety or life in danger by FORCING them to pick
up their dog's feces daily when they take their dogs for a walk??
really dumb & dangerous law imho.
i have a right to say that too, because freedom of speech is STILL one of our rights in the U.S. along with remaining
alive!

Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 PM

think i wud suggest dog poop, for ornamental plants instead of veggies, if it is fresh dog poop...
i have put dog poop near flowering bushes & they seemed to grow
pretty well, from what we saw.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Trouble is that dogs evolved alongside humans and our physiology is similar enough to share a lot of pathogens(not to mention that puppy shares a lot of our food). I'm not sure how many nasties survive the heat of composting, but why chance it with your family's foodstuffs.

Dog waste and poop causes environmental and health problems including transmitting diseases, viruses, worms, bacteria, and other pathogens that are in the waste to children and dogs – Health Information Provided by DoodyCalls Pooper Scooper Service
This is correct. You should not use dog feces to fertilize food crops. Nor should you use human feces.

Actually, I wouldn't use horse or cow manure that had not been composted, because of the odor.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:55 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
Long ago, I had a friend who was an amazing gardener. He grew prize winning vegetables, but he wasn't all that into ornamentals. He did love his trees, though, and he would dig holes just outside the dripline of his trees, spaced about 5-10 feet apart, and would dump a week's worth of his dog's poop in one hole, and the following week, he'd do it with another hole. His trees were amazing. I am thinking of doing that here.

Last edited by TinaMcG; 04-10-2013 at 02:16 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 08:51 AM

89 posts, read 135,995 times
You can use it. People do use it all over the world. And it does work.
But.... Americans in general have lost their resistance to many bugs. Unlike the guy in Africa who can get a drink from the dirty gutter and it would never effect him, we get sick from drinking water from a bottle that happens to have a single stray bacteria in it.
Composting kills most of the bad bacteria such as ecoli. But it has to be done properly and for enough time to get the heat up and keep it up. There are many different bacteria that do this and break down the soil. It also has to be aereated. Which means work and many small gardeners dont want to turn the manure from time to time and the piles can be too small to reach the proper temperature. It really needs to reach 130F for at least 5 days. Hard to do in a small pile.
If you leave the compost sitting long enough (and your climate is agreeable) it will form a white crust on top. This is what you want for fertilizer. It is Potassium Nitrate. It is also almost free of anything that will effect you. Potassium nitrate is a great food preservative. Have you heard of corned beef?
To create more, add wood ash or potash. This will create a thicker crust so more potassium nitrate. Which is what you want anyhow. It does take a few months. So if you live in a colder climate, ive found that by adding aquarium bacteria such as fritzyme 7 after the heat first dies off the crust is formed a lot faster.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 489 times
Dog poop can be composted. Like others have said mix plenty of roughage with it and I have found that finding some decent darker brown soil and a lot of rotting wood is great for the mix. But, dog poop can contain parasites and bacteria so I've found the key is to mix a WHOLE LOT of citrus fruit and banana peelings. The bananas contain potassium to balance the amount of phosphates & nitrogen that the dog poop has. Also the citric acid has great antimicrobial benefits. Finally, and here's the part that sucks, you have let it set awhile. Usually atleast 6 months, but i usually have several piles and bins so i compost mine over a year. Cover the pile with black plastic on warm days and that will speed up the process.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:35 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
From what I've always heard, you should not compost animal feces with the intent of fertilizing food crops.

Interestingly, our dogs have pooped all over my perrenial gardens for years, and it did more damage than good. But here's some links to the dangers of composting dog feces:

Compost your pet's waste | GreenYour.com

Pet waste often contains dangerous pathogens that can cause serious diseases and the average garden compost pile or composter does not reach high enough temperatures to reliably kill them. Therefore, it is best to compost your pet's waste underground and not risk using it as fertilizer or plant bedding. Pet waste should never be added to compost that is intended for fertilizing vegetables or other edible plants.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf985919.tip.html

Well, what I've heard is that you shouldn't use meat eating animal's feces for fertilization. Non-meat eating feces (cow, rabbit, etc) is OK to use.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:55 AM

7,355 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Well, what I've heard is that you shouldn't use meat eating animal's feces for fertilization. Non-meat eating feces (cow, rabbit, etc) is OK to use.
Rabbits' poo carries -

Quote:
Salmonella sp., Escherichia coli, Clostridium difficile, Dermatophytosis (ringworm), Encephalitozoonosis
species E. cuniculi, Cheyletiella parasitivorax
https://www.wormsandgermsblog.com/fi...bits-Owner.pdf

Seriously, we are social distancing and dying from a zoonotic disease that jumped from animals to people.

Why would anyone use raw feces in a veggie garden? About the same as a Chinese wet market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden