Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 08:56 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times

Advertisements

I've been mistaken for German. I am not, but I can see why: you might assume my surname is German, and I look like I could be. But I am not and my surname is not German. I am 1/2 Ukrainian, 3/8 Italian, 1/8 Polish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 09:06 AM

720 posts, read 1,708,726 times
Polish. I'm Swedish, maybe Irish/English, trying to figure out that side of the family still.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:05 AM

662 posts, read 1,048,482 times
I don't know if this falls into it. I'm black, but sometimes people ask me 'where are you from?". Like....hmm?

Old 08-13-2014, 11:48 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
I don't know if this falls into it. I'm black, but sometimes people ask me 'where are you from?". Like....hmm?
Do you have an accent or give off maybe a Latino/Caribbean or African vibe? Some people might think you immigrated here, etc as there are plenty of black immigrants. In fact, all the black kids in my high school were children of immigrant parents (Nigerian, Jamaican, Guyanese, Ethiopian), and they all had very different cultures compared to mainstream black/African-Americans.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:55 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
In the past, people often thought I was British.......Mom said the only people who think that are those who don't know any British.

These days, though.......................

...........................I was doing a commercial infront of a TV camera in a film class. Advertising a cola in a western drawl. Things were going perfect until, on just one word, my accent uncontrollably switched to a British one and then back again.

Today, in the Texas heat, I was shopping, carrying my loot back to my car. With that load on my shoulder, my focus on maintaining an even pace to combat the heat, I was thinking that I must be marching......and that's something I've tried not to do, to hide my military background.

So, I'm figuring I need to add another character in my ready selection, if someone ever asks me where did I serve, I'll answer something like, in a Brit accent no less, "Colonel Pickering, 55th Bengal Lancers"......

..........answering the question in that I'm actress who has learned her part well and not, necessarily, a vet.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,526 times
People always get me confused! My mother is french/ethnic german but has Jenn Aniston's coloring with green eyes and her mom had dark brown hair Mediterranean tan skin and brown eyes and her dad was from Australia. My dad has a John Cusack like coloring but with Green/blue eyes and was Irish, German, Cree Native. His Grandfather was an orphan who looked like he was Spanish or Italian. People always think I'm Jewish or Russian and Italian but I've gotten Lebanese, half Asian, Israeli, half Mexican, Greek, Uzbek, Slovak, etc,. I have very pale slightly olive skin tone like Olivia Wilde's and have Green eyes that change to dark olive to grey to Emerald, dark brown hair, high cheekbones, slightly hooded almond eyes and a bigger nose. Lol

Old 08-25-2014, 02:04 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
A lot of people don't know what different nationalities look like so I wouldn't be surprised what some people think. Most populations have differences and variety in their looks. People have too narrow views on certain populations. There are always people in populations that will make people scratch their heads because they deviate a bit from the average. Also people rely too much on certain actors' looks and think they represent the majority of their countrymen. Many actors/models are not typical and stand out from the norm.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:54 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,466 times
some hispanics/latinos assume i am latina just because i am a lighter shade of brown. they think i am a dominican. nope. both of my parents are BLACK.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:23 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaw View Post
People always get me confused! My mother is french/ethnic german but has Jenn Aniston's coloring with green eyes and her mom had dark brown hair Mediterranean tan skin and brown eyes and her dad was from Australia. My dad has a John Cusack like coloring but with Green/blue eyes and was Irish, German, Cree Native. His Grandfather was an orphan who looked like he was Spanish or Italian. People always think I'm Jewish or Russian and Italian but I've gotten Lebanese, half Asian, Israeli, half Mexican, Greek, Uzbek, Slovak, etc,. I have very pale slightly olive skin tone like Olivia Wilde's and have Green eyes that change to dark olive to grey to Emerald, dark brown hair, high cheekbones, slightly hooded almond eyes and a bigger nose. Lol
I am white and when I taught school in a nearly all Black district, I noticed the students often described people by the color of a celebritie's skin. I've never heard another white person I know doing the same. To me, John Cusack and Jenn Aniston are the same color. If a person is Native American the way some of my relatives are, I might say something along the line of their skin is as white as mine. Someone once referred to me as Native American for no reason other than they thought I had high cheek bones. I've made minor forays into my ancestry and if there is anything there, I've not seen it. It wouldn't matter to me one way or another.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:25 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
My ancestors were English, Irish, and Scottish.
Until I was seven years old I had a typical English name.
Then my mother got married again to an Armenian guy.
Evidently that made me into an Armenian.
In an anthropology class, the professor made me stand up before the class as a prime example of the Armenoid sub-race.
She was Jewish but married to an Armenian man.
She liked Armenians.
I got an A in the class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy