Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 10:24 PM

142 posts, read 252,263 times

Advertisements

Several people told me recently that they think I'm Jewish. That's strange. As an adoptee who had a reunion a long time ago, I thought I knew my background. Even asked my natural parents about it, but no, even death certificates don't give it away. So now I'll check with a DNA test as soon as I can afrford one. This is really wierd as several people who don't know each other mentioned this observation to me. Wouldn't bother me if it turns out to be true. I'd think it waas cool, another discovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 12:41 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taulery View Post
Several people told me recently that they think I'm Jewish. That's strange. As an adoptee who had a reunion a long time ago, I thought I knew my background. Even asked my natural parents about it, but no, even death certificates don't give it away. So now I'll check with a DNA test as soon as I can afrford one. This is really wierd as several people who don't know each other mentioned this observation to me. Wouldn't bother me if it turns out to be true. I'd think it waas cool, another discovery.
So, your DNA is going to tell you what religion you are?

Old 12-21-2012, 12:54 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
I am adopted, and found my birth parents when I was in my early 20s and answered the question (almost) about my ethnicity.

I am from Pennsylvania Dutch/Swiss/German blood, on my father's side. and have a full Irish grandmother, with light brown hair, and green eyes/blond haired, blue eyed grandfather on my mother's side.

My birth mother has red hair and green eyes. My birth mother says there is Blackfoot Indian heritage on my father's side... they were all Mennonites in PA, going back to the 1700s, so I'm not sure how Blackfoot could be intertwined, as I thought they were from the Plains. My birth dad had brown hair/eyes.

When I was born, my birth father came to the hospital and refused to sign for me, saying he thought my mother had slept with a "tall yellow". I'm not sure what that is!

Anyway, I have had numerous people tell me I look american indian, from hairdressers, to strangers on the street. Although I was blond haired as a kid, my hair started to turn brown when I was around six. My adopted mother "kept me out of the sun" when I was a baby, as I was getting so dark. Then she died my hair blond, so I would "fit in".

As an adult, I have olive skin, dark hair, and dark brown eyes. When people are discriminated against because of the color of their skin...although I consider myself white, I can relate to it, due to never being "light enough" in my family. Sorry, this thread just brought all that old bullsh*t up.
I know the feeling...

Old 12-26-2012, 08:12 AM

215 posts, read 182,254 times
Nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
I'm 3/4 Norwegian and 1/4 Swedish. I have brown hair and hazel eyes. People get so stuck on the "blonde, blue-eyed" thing that they start just getting stupid about it. Unfortunately, those same people typically can't seem to avoid opening their mouths and actually saying what they think.
That's true. I'm half Scandinavian (3/8 Swede and 1/8 Dane) and half Czech-Hungarian and I have brown hair and brown eyes.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:36 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taulery View Post
While DNA testing can reveal theretofore unknown (Ashkenazic) Jewish ancestry - it did for me - that certainly won't change your life in terms of religion.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:37 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So, your DNA is going to tell you what religion you are?
It'll tell them if they had ancestors who were Eastern European Jews.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:04 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Last few years I have been repeatedly misidentified as "Arab." My picture is in my profile page. Do I look Arab?

Old 12-27-2012, 08:32 PM

406 posts, read 1,038,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Last few years I have been repeatedly misidentified as "Arab." My picture is in my profile page. Do I look Arab?
You could be Egyptian, Greek, Italian, Spanish

Old 12-27-2012, 09:19 PM

7,363 posts, read 5,478,151 times
Not me, but my husband is Italian and people ask him all the time if he is Hispanic.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:24 AM

7 posts, read 32,794 times
My parents were both Algerian and I've been told I look Arab, Jewish, Persian, Mexican, Spanish, Italian, Greek, I think Filipino one time, Indian, and part black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy