Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 01:22 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawarma View Post
I am 100 percent Lebanese, although people think I look Greek or Italian. While I have olive skin, my hair is medium brown (it's actually closer to light brown than dark) and hazel eyes.

My family is quite mixed in appearance. I have very dark relatives and very fair ones (and everything in between). My paternal grandfather was actually had red hair when he was younger. He passed it on to my dad's two brothers. One of them married another redhead, and their three kids are redheads. They get mistaken for Irish a lot.

There aren't any blonds in my family, but one of my best friends, who is a fellow Lebanese-Australian, is blond and green-eyed. People think he's Anglo-Australian and get surprised when he starts speaking in Arabic and tells them that he's a Muslim (I am also a Muslim).

It's just that many people I know think that all Lebanese (and all Arabs period) look the same.
Love the name.

I have a Lebanese American friend who says she is "full Lebanese." She is quite fair (except for in the summer) with blonde hair and blue eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 01:25 PM

356 posts, read 1,066,544 times
I'm Mexican of 70% Spanish, 20% indeginous, 5%asian and 5% sub saharan African. Throughout my life I've been mistake. For, italian, Spanish, middle eastern. Everyone from my fathers side is very Arab looking from what we'Ve been told.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,853 times
I have very dark brown hair. It is thick and some would say kinky in texture. While my skin is not very dark, I tan quite easily, though my skin tone always remains somewhat on the pink or reddish side. But my eyes are bright blue. If a person does not see my eyes, they typically assume I am Hispanic or of some Spanish descent. Once they see my eyes, this changes. I have heard a variety of guesses. The truth is I am of Scottish, Irish, and American Indian(specifically Choctaw) ancestry. My mother has very blonde hair and naturally dark skin. Her father was full-blooded Choctaw and her mother was Irish. Determining someone's ancestry, particularly in the US, is often not a simple task. It is certainly not as simple as just looking at them.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:46 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,445 times
Whilst living in Mexico City (and speaking Spanish---albeit not perfectly), many Mexicans mistook me for a Brazilian. I am thinking it was more about my accent than about my looks. I don't really know what a Brazilian woman "looks" like. I know people from Brazil, and they seem to be as varied as Americans or Europeans. Hmmmm.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,074 times
I am full blooded Turkish girl and everyone thinks i am from Germany or stth like that no problem i like germans

Old 12-16-2012, 11:52 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
Whilst living in Mexico City (and speaking Spanish---albeit not perfectly), many Mexicans mistook me for a Brazilian. I am thinking it was more about my accent than about my looks. I don't really know what a Brazilian woman "looks" like. I know people from Brazil, and they seem to be as varied as Americans or Europeans. Hmmmm.
I met a Brazilian woman on a flight the other day I swore was French. She was very light skinned, slender and clearly had no Indian genes.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:44 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,412,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I met a Brazilian woman on a flight the other day I swore was French. She was very light skinned, slender and clearly had no Indian genes.
White Brazilians make up 47% of Brazil's population. Not every Brazilian is mixed-race. Brazil has people from all European backgrounds.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:53 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,912,589 times
Italian, Comombian, Armenian, "white", and Russian have all been thrown out at me. I'm half South American (not Colombian) and half German/Russian Jew.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:48 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,696,600 times
I get half Chinese a lot. I'm not Asian, but I speak fluent Chinese, so many people assume I must be Asian.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,692,117 times
Chinese, Japanese, Korean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy