Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 01:18 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,548,109 times

Advertisements

I'm mostly "British Isles" mix (English, Scottish, Irish) with a dash of German and Cherokee thrown in. I'm pretty big and tall (6' 4") with high cheekbones and I've been asked if I was Norwegian by someone from Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 03:30 PM

950 posts, read 1,516,010 times
[quote]like when Hispanics of clearly non-white descent are almost always counted as whites for FBI crime stats.[quote]

Very true, there is even an article about this. Here is a link to the article. One of the Hispanic criminals who is listed as "White" by the FBI, even has an appearance which resembles African American political commentator Juan Williams. The guy looks like he could be Juan Williams brother.
VDARE.com: 03/10/10 - Hispanic Sex Offenders Listed As "White" In Wisconsin. Why?

The average person on the streets would definitely not confuse any of them for being White, yet according to the FBI they are White so go figure.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:05 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
[quote=Tiger Blood;18291703][quote]like when Hispanics of clearly non-white descent are almost always counted as whites for FBI crime stats.
Quote:

Very true, there is even an article about this. Here is a link to the article. One of the Hispanic criminals who is listed as "White" by the FBI, even has an appearance which resembles African American political commentator Juan Williams. The guy looks like he could be Juan Williams brother.
VDARE.com: 03/10/10 - Hispanic Sex Offenders Listed As "White" In Wisconsin. Why?

The average person on the streets would definitely not confuse any of them for being White, yet according to the FBI they are White so go figure.
Just a strange quirk of American racial classification.......BTW, Juan Williams is from Panama.............

Old 03-17-2011, 03:45 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,339,789 times
I don't know if I have a post in this thread or not..

But people are always thinking me & my family are white..I have been mistaking as Italian, Greek, Puerto Rican, Lebanese, Egyptian and etc. We're black...but very aware of our white mixture we just don't claim it..sometimes I even get Indian??

Old 03-17-2011, 08:39 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
I don't know if I have a post in this thread or not..

But people are always thinking me & my family are white..I have been mistaking as Italian, Greek, Puerto Rican, Lebanese, Egyptian and etc. We're black...but very aware of our white mixture we just don't claim it..sometimes I even get Indian??
That is interesting. Most AAs know we have white mixture, but will never mention it in a formal manner. Informally we discuss it, and some of us even seem to be perversely proud of it. But even the "whitest" AAs, if they come from very light AA parents, will say they are as "black" as the darkest African Americans. What a strange dynamic hypodescent has caused in our community.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:10 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,108,600 times
Malaysian with various indigenous tribal influences from that region as far as ethnicity goes.
However I've been repeatedly mistaken for black, Samoan, Philippino, and Hispanic.
However, I picked up my white stepdads voice and get even weirder looks when no particular accent is spoken.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:33 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,374,312 times
[quote=Tiger Blood;18291703][quote]like when Hispanics of clearly non-white descent are almost always counted as whites for FBI crime stats.
Quote:

Hispanic is not a race, it is a etnicity (origin)

So if you are not black or asian, or native american, you are white.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:26 AM

375 posts, read 1,097,634 times
Lol. #1 awkward question when I started college: "So what kind of asian are you mixed with anyway?" Japanese was always one of the top guesses.

I'm an Appalachian mutt, mostly Scottish, French and Cherokee. Yes Cherokee, I'm from southeast Tennessee, the removal wasn't nearly as complete here as in some other parts of the Nation, probably because we didn't have gold or top shelf farmland or anything else high on the confiscation list and the local population was quite mixed by the time of removal. I trace a chunk of my white ancestry to Quaker missionaries who moved from Pennsylvania colony to the Cherokee Nation in the mid-to-late 1700s.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:58 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddawg View Post
I'm an Appalachian mutt, mostly Scottish, French and Cherokee. Yes Cherokee, I'm from southeast Tennessee
You'd better be careful saying that in this forum. The "White People Can't be Native American" contingency will show up and berate you, because they know everything about everything.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:08 PM

950 posts, read 1,516,010 times
[quote=CarolVa1977;18332028][quote=Tiger Blood;18291703]
Quote:
like when Hispanics of clearly non-white descent are almost always counted as whites for FBI crime stats.

Hispanic is not a race, it is a etnicity (origin)

So if you are not black or asian, or native american, you are white.

Did you even look at their pictures before making this comment ?

So this Hispanic guy looks White to you ? Because the FBI labeled him as White.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy