Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 03:05 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

Well we are all light skinned and bright blue eyes and always mistaken for norweigan or sweedish heritage . Nope sorry we are irish ,italian . My b.i.l. however is always being mistaken egyptian yet he is of hawaiian heritage . His people are actually from the island of oahu . They are the nicest people you would ever want to meet. They always invite us to family occasions and offering to pay airfare , I might take them up on it someday LOL !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 12:50 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
I'm Irish and Russian. Not once has someone thought I have an Irish background. If they don't think I'm Russian, it is usually one of the other countries around the perimeter of the Baltic Sea.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:51 AM

323 posts, read 528,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Egyptians aren't black. Moroccans are mostly of Arab-Berber origin.
I have been to both Egypt and Morrocco - both are in Africa - and there are lots of people there native to that land who are very black in color.

You rarely see them on mainstream news

Old 11-25-2010, 02:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Constantly being mistaken as hispanic, especially by hispanic people who get all bent out of shape that I won't speak Spanish to them.

Actually, my parents came here from India. And I am fluent in Spanish, but it irks me so much that they would just assume I'm hispanic because I'm brown and they can't conceive of any other brown race outside of their own.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:06 AM

202 posts, read 352,781 times
I dated a guy from Bangladesh. Whenever we were in a place where there were spanish-speaking (mostly Mexican immigrant) people, they would speak to him in Spanish as if he was one of them. Funny thing is, I am the one that can speak Spanish, not him.

My husband is from Egypt. When we lived in Connecticut in a town with a large Brazilian population, he often got taken to be Brazilian. Now where we live, a lot of people assume he's an anglo/african-american mix.

As far as defining race in general though, it's such a slippery slope in my mind. Almost anywhere you go anymore, the people are a mixture from the migration of peoples through and to their lands from different parts of the globe. I think the insistence by the govt to keep trying to categorize and stereotype and form racial issues, all of us, is just propaganda to try to keep us fighting with eachother, rather than fighting the elite establishment and restoring our rights to peace and true freedom.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:09 PM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----

Depends on the level of education. Educated people do not use slang.
Eww, I think someone's haughtiness is showing. Educated people use slang all the time, my friend.

Accountants, attorneys, physicians, physicists and rocket scientists are all educated people. Each of them uses terms and phrases that are unique to their professions, and those terms and phrases are characterized as "slang".

Perhaps you should look up the term again. This time, however, may I suggest that you read all of its meanings?

Last edited by Nighteyes; 12-08-2010 at 02:23 PM..

Old 12-08-2010, 03:39 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,163 times
I am Cherokee/German/Scot. And, no, I do not claim to have a long-lost Cherokee princess in my family. I have a card.

So, anyway, it is automatically assumed that I am "white" because I have pink skin and blue eyes. I am actually one of the "whitest" people in my family by appearance.

One day, for kicks, I told some of my gullible high school students that I wasn't white and that I was actually mixed with Black and Mexican and they believed me! I let it go for a few days and finally broke it to them what my "real" ethnicity was. The point is- you don't know. And it is wrong to assume anything about someone's ethnicity because there are so many variations in the human genome.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:54 PM

96 posts, read 165,250 times
Years ago when my hair was long and it was colored almost black, it was common for Native Americans to walk up to me out of the blue and ask what tribe I was from. (I thought I had the grunge look going..lol) Also, I would get comments from strangers about my cheekbones. I don't see it at all.

I'm not Native American that I know of. I wouldn't be surprised though if somewhere way down the family tree it turns up because of what people have said.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:35 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Yes many times. I am German, Norwegian, Latvian and Apache Indian. Of these, I have mostly German blood as I got lots of it from both my parents. I've got dark hair, olive skin and brown eyes.

In my life I've been mistaken for Mexican, Brazilian, Italian, Indian (India), Egyptian, basically everything that I'm not. (Keep in mind this is mostly by people who have never been anywhere else or studied any different people. I'd be surprised if any of these people know Native Americans as a people still exist lol.)

Anyhow, I live within a largely Latino population and recently, I decided to start learning Spanish after being spoken to in Spanish almost every day by people who assume I can speak it.

That's what you get when you live in a society that wants to break everyone down in separated groups and bind certain people together and alienate others from each other based on criteria that has no bearing at all in reality. I'm no expert on the subject but it's my understanding that race doesn't even exist as far as a scientific way to categorize people, right?

In any case I never assume anything about anyone and I don't understand people who do it regularly.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:34 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Someone mentioned "Black Irish" on this thread. I have a friend who is Irish, English, and German descent. She has olive skin and dark hair. I used to think she was part Native American, Italian, or Greek. She might have "Black Irish" in her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy