Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 11:20 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----

6 Foot

I couldn't care less about American or Spanish slang. I couldn't care less about false PC definitions created by twisted politicians in search of votes.

But I care for definitions appearing in the Free Merriam-Webster dictionary:

Mulatto - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Mestizo - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

If I wanted slang, I would have searched in urbandictionary.com.

In the Urban Dictionary, you'll find definitions such as:

mulatto 674 up, 227 down
buy mulatto mugs, tshirts and magnets
Nick for a person of mixed heritage..namely of black and white...can be construed as a racist term but its not nearly as racist as the insecure ****heads who try to force people of mixed heritage to identify as one or the other...as if our society is really that "black and white", so to speak.
If you live in Spain why in the world would you think you are such an expert on America, American culture and the English language? Have you ever lived in America? Is English even your first language? How could you even believe you know more about a country than the people that actually live in said country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 11:34 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
If you live in Spain why in the world would you think you are such an expert on America, American culture and the English language? Have you ever lived in America? Is English even your first language? How could you even believe you know more about a country than the people that actually live in said country?

----

Did I ever say than I know more about a country than the people that live in said country?

I only said that I'm using words defined by the Merriam Webster dictionary, not slang terms.

No, English is not my first language but my fourth language.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Yes i know that you view us thru the encyclopedia and dictionary in many aspects and thats o.k. as i admit i do the same for europeans myself since i'm not a citizen there however you specifically stated in post #155 here in this thread that ''Metis is Meztizo in French and was used/still used in Louisiana and (((all around))) the US and so i'm pointing out that it's not used (((all around))) the U.S. as we have different slang terms in the different regions of this country including Mexico just like you do in Spain etc..
----

Again, I'm not talking about slang terms.
Mestizo is not a slang term.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
People can never guess where I am from. Why? I'm too big of a mutt. However, people never guess that I am 1/4 Finnish. It's because I have extremely dark hair and typically have brown eyes. However, that's typical of Sami people such as I am descended from. The rest of my ancestors came to America mainly between the early 1700's-mid 1800's. Before that we were from all over Europe. However, my very dark hair and very pale skin come from the Sami side. The other relatives don't have as dark hair and pale skin as that side does.

My husband is Filipino, but he looks more Islander than most Filipinos. He has been mistaken for Native American by a cop in Oklahoma.

-----

Sami are a minority in Finland and I don't think they emigrate anywhere except to new pastures. If your ancestors came between early 1700 and mid 1800's and you don't know from where they came with precision, your dark hair could come from almost anywhere.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:52 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
----
Mestizo is not a slang term

Again, i'm not talking about slang terms.
No Kidding .

And yes i know you are not talking about slang terms however you may be possibly be confusing some of us on here insisting that Mestizo is used all around the USA just because you read that in a dictionary.

If you say Mestizo here where i live you'll most likely get a strange look back at you.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:26 PM

821 posts, read 2,037,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Do you mean Filipino?

As I was writing it I knew I was so off. Thank you

Old 08-26-2010, 12:43 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'm always asked if I'm "Spanish" (Hispanic). Oh are you Dominican, Puerto Rican, "Hondurian", etc.? All the time. Especially when I meet new people (namely school).

People will walk up to me and speak Spanish, I know enough Spanish to understand 65% of what they say but I don't know how to respond. Once I even got "Do you speak English?", it took me by surprise but I responded "Que?", however I can't keep a straight face so I ended up laughing then I said yes.

I'm mixed (Black, White, & Native American).
Just like most Caribbean Latinos and others from South and Central America. You are mistaken for Latino because you're the same mix.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
-----

Sami are a minority in Finland and I don't think they emigrate anywhere except to new pastures. If your ancestors came between early 1700 and mid 1800's and you don't know from where they came with precision, your dark hair could come from almost anywhere.
I know where they came from, and I know that my Sami ancestors did emigrate here. It was in the early 1900's. My great-grandpa came here. While he was no longer living as a Sami, his parents and further back had lived that way. But thank you for telling me that I don't know anything about my ancestors. Just because I said they are from all over Europe doesn't mean I don't know where they are from. Much of my ancestry is traced back extremely far because I come from some very well known stock.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
No Kidding .

And yes i know you are not talking about slang terms however you may be possibly be confusing some of us on here insisting that Mestizo is used all around the USA just because you read that in a dictionary.

If you say Mestizo here where i live you'll most likely get a strange look back at you.
----

Depends on the level of education. Educated people do not use slang.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:28 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
----

Depends on the level of education. Educated people do not use slang.
I don't believe that generalization applies in the U.S. We Americans have a strong anti-intellectual streak in our culture, and the use of (some) slang terms even among extremely well educated Americans is common. "The common touch" is almost a necssity in our culture unless you confine your discourse and life to your academic peers; furthermore, trying to communicate with terms that are technically correct but not used by most people become self-defeating.

I am an octoroon, but I would never describe myself as such, as with the exception of Louisiana, in most rest of the U.S. the word is received with a blank stare by almost everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy